Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And now a French General election too (2024)

I don't know what this election achieved. This was the composition of the parliament before the election as far as I know from Wikipedia:
View attachment 432466

As far as I can tell all Macron has achieved is to reduce his own parties number of seats down by quite a bit and increase the number of National Rally seats from 89 to about 142.
It was a miscalculation by macron.

The UK could have France's system of two rounds. Could easily be introduced with the existing system. If nobody wins 50% in the first round, you have a run-off. Two-way or three-way depending on how close the others are. If more than 50% of the people in any given constituency loathe the first-place candidate, they would be given the opportunity to show it.
We had a referendum on AV 11 years ago which would have meant you could do that, you don't need two rounds, you just need to go 1,2,3, etc., yet everybody voted against it.: o/

I dunno about that. If the result really is NPF biggest faction with centrist twats second, RN third, that's about as good a result as we could have hoped for when Macron called the election. Got to take the wins when they come, no? That the immediate future will be messy and difficult is a given, of course.
LFI will make up less than half of the MPs elected under the NFP banner. Melenchon was never going to be Prime Minister, IMO, he's constantly in conflicts with others on the left.

The UK could have France's system of two rounds. Could easily be introduced with the existing system. If nobody wins 50% in the first round, you have a run-off. Two-way or three-way depending on how close the others are. If more than 50% of the people in any given constituency loathe the first-place candidate, they would be given the opportunity to show it.
We could , but we rejected the very similar Alternative Vote system in a referendum about a decade ago, so we won't.

Worth noting that despite their 'failure' the RN vote in the second round increased by ~20%, and they took more votes than any other alliance.
Le Pen, who intends to run for president for the far right in 2027, said the far right’s rise to power would continue. She said: “The tide is rising. It did not rise high enough this time, but it continues to rise and our victory has simply been deferred.”
LFI are correct to not get in bed with Macron, but I'm not sure the PS or some other parts of the NPF have that sense
Much will depend on LFI’s willingness to compromise – and on the moderate left’s response if Mélenchon’s party refuses to play ball. The hard-left party has long said it would only ever enter government in order to “implement our policies, and no one else’s”.

Emily Maitlis setting the tone here in which the people against fascism are seen as trouble for those who enable it

View attachment 432478

As I wrote a few pages back it will be fatal for the left to either fold into the centrist project or to be seen to work with it.

The programme on which it was elected: massive increase in the minimum wage, reverse Macron’s attack on pensions, €150bn investment into rebuilding public services should be the programme pursued and organised around: in the parliament and on the streets.

Anything less and the FN will be the long term beneficiaries

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom