Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

I agree. And there are plausible mechanisms by which that could happen as capitalist returns diminish and other mechanisms take the place of capitalist investment just cos capitalist investment isn't happening. We're already seeing signs of that.

It's not very sexy and revolutionary, though. :(

I much prefer boring.

What's with Donald Trump Jr's beard? It's a style only found in the US: too long to be stubble, too short to really count as a proper beard, too tidy and kempt to accidentally look like that. It's as if he's going for a different look, but his stylist has overdone the grooming.

You know who does have the look he's aiming for and carries it off with dignity rather than appearing like an over-groomed curiosity? Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. No styling disasters for him. Now, I know these men have their differences but if only Trump Jr could bring himself to seek some facial-hair styling tips from Ahmadinejad I'm sure that bonding experience would reduce the tensions between their criminal regimes and perhaps make the world a safer place for everyone.

That's my take home message from his speech.
His problem isn't the pseudo-beard. That's meant to hide his mouth that is too small for his face. He's just ugly and now we see how ugly his girlfriend is too, in a way that's more than skin deep.

This speech is worth wasting 6 minutes of your life!

Passionate screeching for the entire 6 minutes.
Can this be received by the American people as favourable, or is it just meant to be appealing to Donald and Donald junior?

Fucking incredible that America has come to this.

You know, I think they cannot possibly win. Surely not. I won't believe it until I see it. There's got to be some beating life-blood.

You know, I think they cannot possibly win. Surely not. I won't believe it until I see it. There's got to be some beating life-blood.
I wish I had your confidence. The cheating by Trump has already started and Trump doesn't even deny anymore. Poor and middle class people are going to line up for 8 hours in some cases if they intend to vote. If/when they do win, will the world finally come to the realization that they've become a fascist regime under Trump?

It's bad Humberto. It's a lot worse than most people realize.

Watching it felt like a trip into an alternative dimension, or a badly scripted drama.

Will anyone, other than hardcore Trumpists, actually fall for this?

greatly insightful, and valuable political commentary
Thanks Jay, but it's not really and I can admit it. It's true about his mouth but it's still a cheap shot. We have to be allowed that once in a while though! Were you sincere or were you being sarcastic?

Cheers from Canada.

I agree. And there are plausible mechanisms by which that could happen as capitalist returns diminish and other mechanisms take the place of capitalist investment just cos capitalist investment isn't happening. We're already seeing signs of that.

Any examples? :)

Will anyone, other than hardcore Trumpists, actually fall for this?
That's the key thing. This election will be decided by the following groups of people: Independents who figured 'any change was good enough' in 2016, Loyal republicans who hate where Trump has taken their party, bluecollar voters in the rustbelt, and Latiino voters, especially those in Arzona, Florida and Texas. If those 3 groups melt away in anything like signirfivant numbers (remember, 2016 was so tight that 120,000 voters voting the other way would have made HRC President), Biden will win. If they vote Trump again, trump will win.

To add; it looks like Pennsylvana, Michigan and Wisconsin will again decide things, with the added complication that Florida, Arizona, Ohio, georgia and Texas are all finely balanced.

His problem isn't the pseudo-beard. That's meant to hide his mouth that is too small for his face. He's just ugly and now we see how ugly his girlfriend is too, in a way that's more than skin deep.
These sort of cheap personal shots are unpleasant and unwarranted. It's the policies that matter, not his physique. FDR was a cripple for the whole of his presidency.

Thanks Jay, but it's not really and I can admit it. It's true about his mouth but it's still a cheap shot. We have to be allowed that once in a while though! Were you sincere or were you being sarcastic?

Cheers from Canada.

Fuck off with the "cheers", ok?

We don't keep ending stuff with "cheers"

Do you add it to coz you are talking to the limies, and they always say cheers?

btw, we have a poster who always ends their posts with "cheers ^insert name^.

S/he is lovely and I think s/he has it copyrighted. (In my mind)

also ...

fark_EDHBCJUp8y_XYb43LM1psryWA7g.png

oh my

In the 15-minute video posted to YouTube in June, resurfaced by Vice, just after the police murder of George Floyd, Johnson explained that while her white children will grow up to appear unthreatening, in her opinion, her Black child will be big and scary:
“Right now, Jude is an adorable, perpetually tan-looking little brown boy,” Johnson said. “But one day, he’s going to grow up and he’s going to be a tall, probably sort of large, intimidating-looking-maybe brown man. And my other boys are probably gonna look like nerdy white guys.”

Johnson goes on to cite the “disproportionately high number of African-American males in our prison population for crimes” as evidence that if a police officer sees “a brown man like my Jude walking down the road — as opposed to my white nerdy kids, my white nerdy men walking down the road,” the best course of action, statistically speaking, of course, is a police force on “high alert” in the presence of her child.

even too nasty for Trump???

I wish I had your confidence. The cheating by Trump has already started and Trump doesn't even deny anymore.
FTR: voter suppression and making it much harder for likely Democrat voters to vote predates Trump by a very long way inded. Most notably, in 2000

Cheers from Canada.

If the US collapses then Canada should expect one hell of a refugee crisis. Like the poor souls trying to make their way across the Channel, they'll be desperate. Unlike the refugees who've had to cross several countries and pay off people smugglers to cross stretches of open sea, American refugees are vastly more likely to bring guns with them across a single land border with fewer natural barriers. Be careful what you wish for.

If the US collapses then Canada should expect one hell of a refugee crisis. Like the poor souls trying to make their way across the Channel, they'll be desperate. Unlike the refugees who've had to cross several countries and pay off people smugglers to cross stretches of open sea, American refugees are vastly more likely to bring guns with them across a single land border with fewer natural barriers. Be careful what you wish for.

Canada did manage to successfully absorb large numbers of refugees in 1776 after insurgents south of the border toppled the government and started carrying out reprisals against supporters of the previous regime, tbf.

Canada did manage to successfully absorb large numbers of refugees in 1776 after insurgents south of the border toppled the government and started carrying out reprisals against supporters of the previous regime, tbf.

The US was much less heavily populated back then. And they didn't have motor vehicles.

While I'm sure there are some AK-47-toting militia types who believe they could successfully invade Canada, I think they're more likely to be the ones people will be trying to get away from if the central government collapses.

While I'm sure there are some AK-47-toting militia types who believe they could successfully invade Canada, I think they're more likely to be the ones people will be trying to get away from if the central government collapses.

true that:(

Nevertheless, it's easier for issues to cross just one border as opposed to many.

Back
Top Bottom