Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Old Holborn - a self-styled ' libertarian' Twitterati ie making sick jokes about Hillsborough, Jamie Bulger, and generally being a gobshite reactionary bigot seems to have passed away.
This requires that Clarkson gif like on the Twitter.

How’s that ‘biasedBBC’ ringpiece (David Vance?) doing these days? Cut from the same cloth.

The Intelligencer skewered it (and Power's descent into reactionary mediocrity) quite nicely when it first launched:
The liberal world order is weak, weaker, perhaps, then it’s been in decades. Compact would be somewhat more admirable if it would at least admit it senses blood in the water. Instead, it whines.
Nina Power claims that the patriarchy has been dismantled, leaving terrible violence in its place. ... Power’s arguments are indistinguishable from the fundamentalist milieu. Thousands, maybe even millions, of conservative preachers around the world perfected her argument a long time ago.

Just had my attention drawn to the New Statesman's "left power list", which is... well, it's very New Statesman. I think they missed a trick by not going full clickbait and including "YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE NUMBER 14" in the title.

Last edited:
I feel like their entire top ten is basically one giant troll. Calling Wes Streeting left-wing is "calling Joe Biden a communist" levels of incoherent.

And including JK Rowling at number 14 because she donated some money one time is just bonkers. Does she even do political opinions beyond slagging off trans rights any more?

Edit: And what's David Attenborough doing there? Beyond being concerned about climate change (which isn't restricted to the left) he's famously beloved by the right as much as the left because he's stayed out of it!

Last edited:
I feel like their entire top ten is basically one giant troll. Calling Wes Streeting left-wing is "calling Joe Biden a communist" levels of incoherent.

And including JK Rowling at number 14 because she donated some money one time is just bonkers. Does she even do political opinions beyond slagging off trans rights any more?

Edit: And what's David Attenborough doing there? Beyond being concerned about climate change (which isn't restricted to the left) he's famously beloved by the right as much as the left because he's stayed out of it!

Attenborough espouses Malthusian ideas for dealing with climate change.

Yeah I think if he was still saying this shit he’d be part of The Culture Wars and we’d all know about it. Probably he still believes it though.

Back
Top Bottom