Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

And he appears unaware that museums did charge for entry until Blair's government made them free.
It might also make our exhibition culture a bit more relaxed. Because Britain’s big London galleries as well as regional museums are mostly free, they have to generate income from exhibitions – for which they charge plenty. This drives the “blockbuster” obsession that many people are unhappy about

basically plebs are ruining museums cos they want to see cool shit like an ancient egypt theme rather than the obscure shit we guardian people appreciate more keenly

yeah their "liberalism" is just thinly veiled hatred of the common herd. despicable.
theres an element of london-centriscism to it as well. We don't all live in big cities with many galleries and ancient museums full of amazing stuff. So when I do come down with my straw being chewed and my 'how much for a can of coke?!' expression I would rather like to see the cool shit nobs like this one take for granted. So does every schoolkid ever as well. Giant dinasour skellington or a trip to see the lesser sketches constable did? oh its a hard choice for man or a boy

I've been to cornwall a few times, with family and friends and EVERY TIME the Pilchard Museum suggestion from me is vetoed by 'oh noes lets go look at some boring caves then go pub or beach'. Wankers

lol. i never knew there was a pilchard museum. where is that. it sounds awesome.

lol. i never knew there was a pilchard museum. where is that. it sounds awesome.
somewhere in cornwall. It's dedicated to displaying all the crafts and techniques the net-draggers of yesteryear used in their centuries old sea harvesting, its basically a museum to a lost art when there was no engines and you feared the sea with a healthy respect rather than just plowing through it with a massive engine. But no, always the fucking beach so I get sand in my arse crack and my packed lunch

also it covers all the preservation and post-catch industry used to keep pilchads saleable over distance

somewhere in cornwall. It's dedicated to displaying all the crafts and techniques the net-draggers of yesteryear used in their centuries old sea harvesting, its basically a museum to a lost art when there was no engines and you feared the sea with a healthy respect rather than just plowing through it with a massive engine. But no, always the fucking beach so I get sand in my arse crack and my packed lunch

also it covers all the preservation and post-catch industry used to keep pilchads saleable over distance

That sounds great, id be up for a visit. I love bizarre museums like that.

laika2.jpg

That sounds awesome.

For those going to London I'd suggest you go to this museum over any of the big ones

edit; I'm reminded of a quote but can't bloody remember it, something about Art being needed to inspire and lead the way out of barbarity for all, not just the rich. Which is why the guy made sure the estate he built had artwork on the walls, on the clotheslines.

Last edited:
cunt that wrote that article simply cannot compute the idea of not having a disposable income.

Favourite comment below article

Thatcher introduced charges for admission to museums and cut their funding. The result was that most people stopped going. The Labour government made them free again. Now this idiot wants to go back to charging. He needs to be doing a different job. Not journalism. Maybe cleaning the floors in a museum?

Art being needed to inspire and lead the way out of barbarity for all
Sounds like that old Matthew Arnold thing about art being a social glue and shared heritage etc. I'm not sure I ever bought that 100%, pretty pictures and the plunder of antiquity don't put food on the table, the social sphere facilitated by access to art and culture is still heavily class demarcated (as this article shows, even though the author doesn't realise it). Our things and their things. For some reason I'm recalling Educating Rita which while a soppy tale does show that working class people are encouraged to think in terms of their art and our getting on with life, the reactions of Rita's husband for instance.

Back
Top Bottom