Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Going back to Butcher's original reaction to watching the Weev interview video: WTF?! You wouldn't even sit next to this guy on a bus. Why did they take him seriously?

But it's true! Even just a casual investigation into his history would reveal that this guy is seriously dangerous and if you associate with him it's going to blow back and hit you in the face hard.

Maybe it's because in his court case he had the backing of respected organisations like the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

It's the liberal American faith in Free Speech. Sunlight is the best disinfectant and all that.

There was a pic here of Mr.Weev throwing a nazi salute in a car upon his release. The person who posted it is now going 'wtf, nazi? no wai, had no idea'. Locked account now though.

He is taken seriously by lp & her ilk cos he is their class. He's seen as a maverick, many comments about him being "funny", witty, charismatic. Politics r less impt than being a personality. Not that he seems to have one that I'd find appealing, but I can completely see why he appeals to that lot.

Style over substance, in other words. Shouting loud while saying little.

Explain's Penny Dreadful's whole career trajectory really.

Yeah, saw that one on facebook. May hell mend them.

I can't find a single redeeming feature in any of them. The women all write a load of self-regarding twaddle, and the men all write a lot of self-regarding twaddle while clumsily trying to sleep with the women. Then they all hate each other. Then the women all bitch about the men on the internet. The men offer groveling apologies, which are contemptuously rejected. The police are called in. Street-fighting erupts in Williamsburg.

Apart from the last bit, unfortunately. But seriously, what kind of a literary scene is this? I frankly despair of the youth.

some good points in the article about positive consent- even if the people do seem to be examples of the last days of rome, its a serious subject and the articles points on positive affirmation are worth thinking on

I don't know man, it all seems ridiculous to me.

Last time I looked, they'd collectively agreed on a form--an actual, fill-in-the-blanks form--that they're going to print out, carry round with them, and get their partner to fill out every time they have sex.

Then some of them said: "Ah, but what if someone gives their consent at first, and then changes their mind? Couldn't the form be used against them in court?"

Cue much consternation and a hubbub of earnest discussion. I look forward to seeing what they'll come up with next.

Last time I looked, they'd collectively agreed on a form--an actual, fill-in-the-blanks form--that they're going to print out, carry round with them, and get their partner to fill out every time they have sex.

Then some of them said: "Ah, but what if someone gives their consent at first, and then changes their mind? Couldn't the form be used against them in court?"

Cue much consternation and a hubbub of earnest discussion. I look forward to seeing what they'll come up with next.

its incredible but a lot of people- scions of privilege usually- actually do think their hard on is someone elses problem also.

forms is getting a bit wtf but then, how did they get to that point?

theyre kids aren't they? I remember an angry teen feminist I know advocating such a procedure, before she realised it was totally ridiculous...

Going back to Butcher's original reaction to watching the Weev interview video: WTF?! You wouldn't even sit next to this guy on a bus. Why did they take him seriously?

But it's true! Even just a casual investigation into his history would reveal that this guy is seriously dangerous and if you associate with him it's going to blow back and hit you in the face hard.
Did they have much of a reason to think it would hit them in the face hard though? As the Trouble at the Koolaid Point article makes clear, numerous people and numerous 'serious' publications/organisations have supported weev or overlooked & downplayed his actions many times over many years and got away with it, and have done the same with other edgy hacker types. I remember leftys/liberals in other places fawning over LulzSec as they released peoples credit card details, or Anonymous (even before their supposed progressive turn with the Scientology stuff), ignoring or waving away what came with the cat pictures ('controversial group', 'infamous trolls', asshole of the internet lololol).

in this instance it may have hit them, though probably not that hard but there's a reason they felt safe to be so blase about his politics and his behaviour and it definitely wasn't that they were ignorant of it.

Did they have much of a reason to think it would hit them in the face hard though? As the Trouble at the Koolaid Point article makes clear, numerous people and numerous 'serious' publications/organisations have supported weev or overlooked & downplayed his actions many times over many years and got away with it, and have done the same with other edgy hacker types. I remember leftys/liberals in other places fawning over LulzSec as they released peoples credit card details, or Anonymous (even before their supposed progressive turn with the Scientology stuff), ignoring or waving away what came with the cat pictures ('controversial group', 'infamous trolls', asshole of the internet lololol).

in this instance it may have hit them, though probably not that hard but there's a reason they felt safe to be so blase about his politics and his behaviour and it definitely wasn't that they were ignorant of it.
Who are the they involved here though? That article mentions tech - now, i don't who or what tech is. I do know that it looked hot for a while for LP and others to jump on. That's my entire interest here. Nailing them. beyond that i know nothing. I don't know about this world of not actually doing anything at all.

i can't believe it's really so complicated not to rape someone. is it really that difficult?
It isn't, of course. TBH the whole idea comes from a fairly dodgy mindset.

I guess these things are dreamed up by people who don't have a great deal of experience of sex tbh. The total unworkability (and undesirability) of them in practice is perhaps not so obvious as a result.

Back
Top Bottom