Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

what did you think of the article? I can't say I disagreed with it. There certainly wasn't the 'blackout' all the hysterical ex-lib dems on my fb are screaming about.

I agree with you, though I do think that they should have provided a bit of coverage rather than totally ignoring the protest, but putting aside whether the BBC is being reasonable or not - isn't there some tactical value in acting as if they were being unreasonable?

what did you think of the article? I can't say I disagreed with it. There certainly wasn't the 'blackout' all the hysterical ex-lib dems on my fb are screaming about.
Nah, it's rubbish. The BBC website will produce a story about the most utterly trivial rubbish imaginable - the idea that tens of thousands of people marching through London for political reasons wouldn't have had articles because it "wasn't newsworthy" is just absurd.

I was quite cynical about the whole thing when I turned up, but there was a decent number of different groups there (much broader than some other marches dominated by the big unions) and even the speeches were okay - I stayed much longer than I usually do, though usually I duck out to the pub after the second speaker anyway so that's not saying much. I wasn't expecting a lot in the news but I was expecting at least one reasonably sized piece and was quite surprised that there was just _nothing_.

I'm not sure what relevance this has?

I believe this is relevant cos Farage only has to sneeze & it's all over the msm. Any left-wing opp to the govt is ignored. I know he's often mentioned in a "what bonkers, eccentric, insular comment has he made now?" fashion but it's still publicity. All to do with british (media?)'s preoccupation with personalities in politics, the more outlandish the better. There r no comparable personalities on the left for the media to dwell on. Maybe non-personalities (Owen Jones) :confused:

Nah, it's rubbish. The BBC website will produce a story about the most utterly trivial rubbish imaginable - the idea that tens of thousands of people marching through London for political reasons wouldn't have had articles because it "wasn't newsworthy" is just absurd.

I was quite cynical about the whole thing when I turned up, but there was a decent number of different groups there (much broader than some other marches dominated by the big unions) and even the speeches were okay - I stayed much longer than I usually do, though usually I duck out to the pub after the second speaker anyway so that's not saying much. I wasn't expecting a lot in the news but I was expecting at least one reasonably sized piece and was quite surprised that there was just _nothing_.
I was surprised to read about the march on here given that I read the papers, tv, radio etc and had heard nothing.

I was vaguely aware it was going to happen but discounted the possibility of going to it because it's hundreds of miles away and I have a job to be at and small children to look after. And because we've marched for things in our thousands before and fuck all changed. I expect that means I don't care.

I was vaguely aware it was going to happen but discounted the possibility of going to it because it's hundreds of miles away and I have a job to be at and small children to look after. And because we've marched for things in our thousands before and fuck all changed. I expect that means I don't care.
I didn't see a single post apart from one jokey one about it, on Urban.

Somehow I guess nobody would be accusing you of not caring as they weren't even referring to it at all. It might not have happened as far as the BBC was concerned, but it also might not have happened as far as Urban was concerned.

Somehow I guess nobody would be accusing you of not caring as they weren't even referring to it at all. It might not have happened as far as the BBC was concerned, but it also might not have happened as far as Urban was concerned.

I saw a few people talking about it on Twitter in the weeks beforehand but that's a function of the sort of people I follow as much as anything. The not caring thing was a reference to Owen Jones et al who fall back on the 'yeah? But what do you do?' argument whenever anyone asks what this sort of event actually achieves

Which is why the thread about the event has an aura of 'What's you point, caller?' about it, in my opinion.

On a semi-related note, isn't it interesting how there's been almost total silence from the NS on the Al Jazeera journalism trial. No editorials, no protests, no real condemnation.

£15 lol.

Potentially an interesting topic with a bit of squinting. Why are private school oxbridgers so afraid of working class women.

mary beard and laurie penny.jpg

Didn't Mary Beard get a lot of bullshit from that AA Gill wanker?
Yep, and apparently Beard responded with this nonsense.
"Possibly this is where we reach the heart of AA Gill's problem: maybe it's precisely because he did not go to university that he never quite learned the rigour of intellectual argument and he thinks that he can pass off insults as wit.

That reminds me of this 1985 piece on Dermot Bolger, a writer who went to my school.

Born in Finglas in the bedroom that he sleeps in to this day, 26-year-old Bolger made a conscious decision not to go to university. “I saw no point in it. I felt it would alienate me from the experience I wanted to write about – namely, the world I grew up in.

Bolger's late 80s novel, The Journey Home was a searing piece of social realism about the Irish crisis of that decade. His novel from a few years back about the Goold-Verschoyle family - a real big house family who produced a couple of upper-class Stalinists in the 1930s - wasn't worth finishing, I thought.

£15 lol.

Potentially an interesting topic with a bit of squinting. Why are private school oxbridgers so afraid of working class women.

View attachment 56453
Astonishing - three women. All private school. All Oxbridge. All examples of what outspoken women should be. No swinging maces or that here. All white panel again. And yet again, my mum's not on there.

Back
Top Bottom