Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

They probably can't hear the drone so as far as they are concerned it could be anything going bang, mortars, grenades outside the window so safer to stay put. Tanks are loud.

Also hunters use shotguns for flying birds as a general rule because it is very, very hard to hit a flying object with a rifle. Like you say maybe 4 or 5 of them firing together may stand a chance but it's not easy. Hence AA guns having such high ROF.

If they had have realised that it was a drone attacking they would have closed the hatch you'd think...which brings us right back to your first point of some very dumb things being done (that we see).

Also dunno how much small arms ammo your average tank crew carries, especially in light of rumoured shortages.

I shot down a drone over my property a few years ago with one of these...

Took me 3 shots with #5 steel shot at a range of about 50m. Definitely not easy and it wasn't trying to drop a fucking RKG on me which would have been somewhat distracting.

Took me 3 shots with #5 steel shot at a range of about 50m. Definitely not easy and it wasn't trying to drop a fucking RKG on me which would have been somewhat distracting.
Does that warrant a notch on the stock?

I'm not complaining about it, but I don't understand how a lot of what we see the Russian side doing is... well, dumb.

There's a video the Ukrainians put out today of a tank disabled by drone. The drone comes back 5 or six times before nailing the engine and forcing them to bail. This isn't one of those fancy drones with dozens of miles of range and whatnot, it's a quadcopter dropping an antitank grenade each time. I just think - WTF are these three guys in a tank doing off in the middle of fucking nowhere that they can't do anything about a drone popping back and forth half a dozen times? Like if there were four guys in a foxhole somewhere nearby they could take it down with gunfire easily. And why didn't they maybe move closer to support after the first five times? It's just so stupid, and they were lucky not to pay with their lives for it.

I suppose it's just Exhibit B for how Ukraine can stand up to a force that was expected to wipe them off the map in a week, but I just can't understand how a year later they're still being such idiots.
Ukraine has been trying to get hold of cluster bombs from the states so they can strip out the sub-munitions to use in this way. They are fucking good at aiming them at open hatches.

Bit puzzled by reports this morning that Russia used it's hypersonic missiles to attack the power plant it is in control of.

Guardian.

Ukrainian officials said Moscow had fired six of its kinzhal hypersonic missiles, an unprecedented number, which Ukraine has no way of shooting down. Russia is believed to have only a few dozen of the missiles, which President Vladimir Putin regularly touts in speeches as a weapon for which NATO has no answer.

Ukraine said the missiles had knocked out the power supply to the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, Europe’s largest, severing it from the Ukrainian grid.

Yes I've definitely seen some of the RuAF with those weird sci fi anti drone rifle thingies. No idea how widespread or effective they are though.

FDsNeFtUUAYv7o-

American anti drone devices aren't very sophisticated yet.

View attachment 366069
Given the Russian tendency to botch things up, I can't help wondering whether the anti-drone rifle is actually just full of Lego, or something.

Bit puzzled by reports this morning that Russia used it's hypersonic missiles to attack the power plant it is in control of.

Guardian.

Ukrainian officials said Moscow had fired six of its kinzhal hypersonic missiles, an unprecedented number, which Ukraine has no way of shooting down. Russia is believed to have only a few dozen of the missiles, which President Vladimir Putin regularly touts in speeches as a weapon for which NATO has no answer.

Ukraine said the missiles had knocked out the power supply to the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, Europe’s largest, severing it from the Ukrainian grid.
It could be some kind of Machiavellian evil. Or a great big cockup.

Where Russia is concerned, both options are very much in play... :hmm:

Guardian.

I think it relies on offsite power to run, I know that they've used generators for limited periods when it has happened previously.

The Al-Jazeera report is a bit clearer
Russian forces pounded several Ukrainian cities while people slept on Thursday, killing at least six civilians, knocking out electricity, and forcing Europe’s largest nuclear plant off the grid for a sixth time since Moscow’s invasion began last year.
ZNPP, which has been held by Russia, can run off diesel generators for 10 days. Nuclear plants need constant power to run cooling systems and avoid a meltdown,
It's been "annexed" by Russia but presumably there's a lot of work involved to put it on the Russian grid rather than the Ukrainian one, and not much incentive to do so (draining Ukrainian power to keep a mothballed nuclear site going is better than spending vast resources to connect it to Russian generation atm).

Last edited:
It’s full of ludicrous factual inaccuracies and based on a single unnamed source. My own pet theory is that he’s secretly working for the US gov and produced an account so full of holes that people will discount the US ever having done it, when they might well have done (there is a motive tbh)

The newest report also has quite a few logic gaps, not least that if there was a reasonable suspicion of Ukraine having done it then Russia would have been screaming about it. Plus that small inconvenient fact of several land-based pipelines crossing Ukraine that they’ve not interfered with and would have been a much simpler operation.
I don't think Hersh is likely to sell out and shill for the US government at this point in his career. He's not the propaganda type looking at his back catalogue.

It is a bit of a racey colourful article though. My bet's on t eh source being the shill over Hersh.

He's saying very little though about the NYT Ukraine led article. "Make your own mind up" sort of stuff.

I'd bet on the yanks doing it all day long personally.

We've got an enthusiastic drone flyer in the Village who likes to post arty pictures on his face book. Last summer we were sat in the garden and it came over us and the lad said "Can I take it out with the 22 dad?". "Be my guest" says I.

The boy ran in and grabbed the air rifle and as soon as he took aim the drone fucked off. Not been over our way since :)

I blame the Mrs and her sunbathing.

More likely a nonsense report though.
Probably not. Nuclear power stations of the type that Zaporizhzhia's is require quite substantial external power to maintain cooling of reactors and fuel storage when the reactors are not fully operational. Most of Zaporizhzhia's reactors (5/6, I think) are now in "cold shutdown", which I believe means they don't need as much active cooling, but at least one reactor was still in "hot shutdown", which means that it is not generating significant amounts of power, but is still active, and thus requiring cooling, otherwise thermal runaway takes place and a core meltdown becomes a significant risk. The power for that cooling has to be provided either by power from the grid, or by emergency generators locally.

Either way, fuel storage always requires cooling. None of this is usually a problem with an operating nuclear reactor, because the ancillary power required is a tiny fraction of the station's generating capacity, but very quickly becomes a problem if no power is available - that was at least partly why the Fukushima power station reactors went into meltdown - because they were taken suddenly from operating at full capacity to being disconnected from the grid, and the auxiliary local power had been rendered unavailable by having been inundated by the tsunami.

More likely a nonsense report though.
Yes, you'd like that but given that Putin has been firing in a huge onslaught of missiles as part of his ongoing policy of targeting energy infrastructure - in-between destroying people's homes and flattening cities - it's far more likely to be true.

And all this is because of that fucking cunt Putin's illegal and bloody invasion of a sovereign country. No one else is to blame but him.

The plant, which Russia has held since capturing it early in the war, is near the front line and both sides have warned of a potential for nuclear accidents.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said two out of six reactor units that were in hot shutdown were moving to cold shutdown. It believes there was enough diesel on site to keep the plant operating for 15 days.

It is the sixth time Europe's largest nuclear plant has been in a state of blackout since it was taken over by Russia months ago, forcing it to rely on diesel generators .

Nuclear power stations need constant power to run cooling systems and avoid a meltdown, and fears remain about the possibility of a catastrophe at Zaporizhzhia.

The head of the UN nuclear watchdog expressed alarm at the latest blackout, saying he is "astonished by the complacency" of the organisation he leads, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

"What are we doing to prevent this happening? We are the IAEA, we are meant to care about nuclear safety," director-general Rafael Mariano Grossi told its board of directors in a meeting on Thursday,

“Each time we are rolling a dice. And if we allow this to continue time after time then one day our luck will run out," he said.

Yes, you'd like that but given that Putin has been firing in a huge onslaught of missiles as part of his ongoing policy of targeting energy infrastructure - in-between destroying people's homes and flattening cities - it's far more likely to be true.

And all this is because of that fucking cunt Putin's illegal and bloody invasion of a sovereign country. No one else is to blame but him.

It's obviously Ukraine's fault - paid off by NATO, obvs - for throwing nuclear power stations at Russian missiles that were peaceably assisting Russians in learning the Russian language.

I mean, sheeple, smell the coffee...

Back
Top Bottom