Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The Ukrainians, and I'm sure there are some wrong 'uns among them as there will be in any armed force, aren't occupying anyone. So the maltreatment of civilians doesn't come up. As for how they treat Russian prisoners or deserters, it makes strategic sense to treat them well so as to encourage more desertions or surrenders. But then not every pissed off and exhausted soldier will be thinking about the big picture if they get one of the vicious invading horde in front of them. I don't know what I'd do in that situation, having seen acts of mass murder against my people.
Not sure if this has been posted already, but watched an interesting feature on life inside a POW camp the other day

Obviously this is just the public face of Ukrainian treatment of Russians after surrender/capture, but doesn't look too bad to me. Rather that than the hell of trench/tank/drone warfare.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but watched an interesting feature on life inside a POW camp the other day

Obviously this is just the public face of Ukrainian treatment of Russians after surrender/capture, but doesn't look too bad to me. Rather that than the hell of trench/tank/drone warfare.

Not sure how sensible it is introducing Russian POWs to pallets, what if they're exchanged? These technologies should be protected.

It's not really Kherson itself, though, is it? The attack they're making at the moment is more to the north-east of Kherson, between that place and Beryslav.
Yes, but that bit of Kherson oblast that they're attacking north east of Kherson city is completely separated from Enerhodar and the rest of Zaporizhzhia by a huge river with no crossings until Nova Khakhovka, which has been pretty comprehensively taken out of action by HIMARS.

The only viable way into Enerhodar and Zaporizhzhia for now is through the northern Zaporizhzhia front, just south of Zaporizhzhia city.

Russia Says Annexed Zones’ Borders Not Set as Ukraine Gains​

• Kremlin to conduct ‘consultations’ with residents in two areas
  • Russia claimed to annex territories its troops don’t control

Even if it's 100 times as big as conventional bombs that Russia has been using so far ..
45 was the absolute smallest margin I could squeeze out. In fact most tactical nuclear bombs are many thousand times the size of most conventional bombs and are kept in the same cupboard as strategic bombs which can be millions of times as large. It's a good place to have a line.

I have a sneaky feeling that a big part of Ukraine's motivation for the Big Push in Kherson is to cut off the Zaporizhzhia pocket and sort out the nuclear power station there.

By the way, in regards the nuclear power station, there was this a few days ago:

After receiving information about the detention of Ihor Murashov, Director General of Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP), the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has been in contact with the relevant authorities and has been informed that Mr Murashov is in temporary detention, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said today.

“Such a detention of any member of the plant staff would be a source of grave concern in itself, but also for its psychological impact and pressure on the rest of the staff - which is detrimental to nuclear safety and security”, said Director General Grossi.

Furthermore, the Director General of the ZNPP has the responsibility to ensure the nuclear safety and security of the plant. He ensures that all the plant’s operational procedures are implemented, including the ones related to nuclear safety, radiation safety of operating personnel, and to nuclear security. Additionally, he activates and leads the response to any on-site nuclear emergency.

“His absence from duty in this way also has an immediate and serious impact on decision-making in ensuring the safety and security of the plant,” Director General Grossi added.

Separately today, IAEA experts present at the ZNPP reported that several explosions were again heard in the vicinity of the plant. As with the previous explosions reported by the IAEA this week, they are believed to have been caused by landmines. The explosions did not result in any direct impact on the safety or security systems of the ZNPP.

Today’s explosions indicate a continued rise in the number of landmine explosions reported this week outside the perimeter fence of Europe’s largest nuclear power plant, which is controlled by Russian forces but operated by its Ukrainian staff. Director General Grossi remains deeply concerned about the repeated occurrence of such landmine explosions near the plant

Press reports a few days ago offered some further context:

Mr Kontin said representatives of Russia's nuclear state company Rosatom had visited the plant "just two days ago". They said the power plant would be transferred from Ukrainian control to Rosatom's control in line with the annexation of the region.

Mr Kontin said he believed the move to kidnap Mr Musharov was an attempt to try and get him to accept the transfer of the power plant from Ukraine to Russia.

"They are trying to make him accept the move of [the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant] from Ukraine to Rosatom. But I am sure he is against it. Many times before he refused to accept the Russian world and so on," Mr Kontin said.

Sort of reminds me of the interview with the British/Ukrainian marine Aidan something or other who was recently swapped. Except his interview was considered a warcrime.

If I was a poor Russian from out in the boonies I might be grateful of a regime of pallets and gruel until Vlad falls out of a window or has a car accident. Of course it may not be as rosy (and dull) as what's being depicted, and let's be real that it could be a form of slave labour.

If I was a poor Russian from out in the boonies I might be grateful of a regime of pallets and gruel until Vlad falls out of a window or has a car accident. Of course it may not be as rosy (and dull) as what's being depicted, and let's be real that it could be a form of slave labour.
You see that kindling for sale quite a bit round here in garages, Lidl and other places. Would be interesting to see the supply chain.

I suspect it's intended to be dull. You don't really want a bunch of inspired, energised prisoners: keep them busy and unstimulated.

I was interested to learn that there is an obligation under the Geneva Convention to give them work to do, though. Although I imagine that idle hands might turn themselves to mischievous activities involving vaulting horses and home-made shovels...

Russia Says Annexed Zones’ Borders Not Set as Ukraine Gains​

• Kremlin to conduct ‘consultations’ with residents in two areas
  • Russia claimed to annex territories its troops don’t control
So they've got four new territories, but they're not quite sure where they are.

So they've got four new territories, but they're not quite sure where they are.
Thats the trouble with digital mapping, you can move the lines.....suppose they could have another referendum.

was a bit confused on how the East India company caused the illegal invasion of a UN recognised state, and what the fuck it has to do with washing machines (holy or otherwise) but if he wants to bus another load of state workers in and have another go, I for one, will give it a listen. Hurrah!

"Ladies and gentlemen, the voice of experience."
Got into trouble in west Germany when having two pretend “ Russian spetnez”
Pows dropped off on our position made a half arsed attempt to search them and made them a cup of tea while somebody went off to get an officer.

Got shouted at by all concerned for failing to deal with the prisoners correctly apparently facing 3rd shock army we should have been expecting to take loads of prisoners rather than being a road bump😂

Lt told us just too shoot any prisoners who turned up .
Next day they did so we formed a firing squad int Corp referees went berserk and charged off to shout at are Lt.
This time the pows got choccy biccys😂

Got into trouble in west Germany when having two pretend “ Russian spetnez”
Pows dropped off on our position made a half arsed attempt to search them and made them a cup of tea while somebody went off to get an officer.

Got shouted at by all concerned for failing to deal with the prisoners correctly apparently facing 3rd shock army we should have been expecting to take loads of prisoners rather than being a road bump😂

Lt told us just too shoot any prisoners who turned up .
Next day they did so we formed a firing squad int Corp referees went berserk and charged off to shout at are Lt.
This time the pows got choccy biccys😂
It's thirsty work, this LARPing business

I've got a different perspective on all this
The Russian army has conquered the land corridor it was after and held for months now. It is not about to lose it. They dont want or need any major escalation from here, its all about consolidation.
Scary speeches and theatre are designed to cool off the opposition and its working.

As the winter drags on Ukraine will come to accept the annexations, though there will be a long running low level 'occupied territores' guerilla war for many years to come.
Even earlier in the war Zelensky made it clear he was prepared that Ukraine would lose territory, when peace talks were still a thing. No reason to believe the view deep down has changed on that.
This is mission accomplished for Putin, not the start of a new major escalation.
This is the beginning of the end of the war.

Russian state is shrewd: there's nothing to be gained by launching into a bigger nuclear conflict, and everything to lose. Why would they. They've already got what they wanted.
Delusional!

Delusional!
There's only two options in which the war will end:
1. Ukrainian military pushes Russian army back from all its borders, or
2. Russian military succeeds in securing the landbridge it has conquered and annexed.
(im going to be optimistic and rule out 3 Global Thermonuclear War. )

I dont think expecting 2 is particularly delusional, more realistic. Would be only too happy to be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom