Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

UK music industry, bands, work permits and Brexit

Over the course of 50 years (two full generations, more or less), a 20 per cent increase is very small, yes. It is not the reason why classes are 32+ pupils, why you can't get a GP appointment, why social housing doesn't exist or why benefits are slashed.

That's the big lie. And immigration since WW2 has been crucial to keeping all kinds of those public services going, of course. Anyone who thinks reducing immigration will address any of the above problems has been sold a lie.
Like I said in my post, I know it’s not necessarily caused by immigration. You could have a 20% increase in population since our parents were born and still have enough services, if there was a greater than 20% investment in more services. But that quite clearly isn’t what’s happened.

So as it doesn’t look very likely that a huge amount of resources are suddenly gonna be ploughed in, because “there’s no magic money tree”, then something’s gotta give. Regaining control of immigration is one way to do that, even if it’s not the best or most sensible way.

It’s true that the extra wealth from immigration has gone to exacerbate the divide between rich and poor by increasing corporate profits even whilst corporate taxation was dropping, which means that growth in government spending could not keep pace with its expanded requirements. Edie is absolutely right that the backlash is a direct political consequence of that political decision. Basically, if you can’t change the *reason* for the constraint on public services, all you can do is stop the *driver* of the constraint. It didn’t have to happen this way, but this is the way it happened.

It’s true that the extra wealth from immigration has gone to exacerbate the divide between rich and poor by increasing corporate profits even whilst corporate taxation was dropping, which means that growth in government spending could not keep pace with its expanded requirements. Edie is absolutely right that the backlash is a direct political consequence of that political decision. Basically, if you can’t change the *reason* for the constraint on public services, all you can do is stop the *driver* of the constraint. It didn’t have to happen this way, but this is the way it happened.
Exactly right; evidence is clear now that worker migration/immigration has served to increase shareholder and ownership profits, largely through the mechanism of depressing unskilled and semi skilled pay. i.e Exactly as intended - while being sold to the masses as happy-clappy, we-are-the-world multiculturalism. And your middle-class, metropolitan liberal Londoners loved it.

Like I said in my post, I know it’s not necessarily caused by immigration. You could have a 20% increase in population since our parents were born and still have enough services, if there was a greater than 20% investment in more services. But that quite clearly isn’t what’s happened.
the value of the pound in the last 34 years let alone since our parents were born has plummeted so your 20% investment in services to meet a 20% increase in population is i regret nonsense

upload_2018-10-9_14-17-14.png

Said better than me, ta.

Said better than me, ta.
Not at all, actually. I thought yours was much clearer than mine. I only repeated your point to agree and show that agreement, not because I thought there was anything wrong whatsoever with the way you said it.

Exactly right; evidence is clear now that worker migration/immigration has served to increase shareholder and ownership profits, largely through the mechanism of depressing unskilled and semi skilled pay. i.e Exactly as intended - while being sold to the masses as happy-clappy,
we-are-the-world multiculturalism.
have you your evidence to hand?

Yes! I got into an argument on fb the other day for saying words to the effect in response to this bollocks tweet (versions of which I've seen since I was a kid). It seems to me that there's two different conversations going on (at least) about this, and people are just talking past each other. very frustrating...

43255921_10156613242834847_5430780073261137920_n.jpg

More or less total rubbish. And offensively so given the contribution low-paid, often low-skilled immigrants of exactly the kind that it is proposed to restrict have made to this country over the last few decades. You've also bought the lie, I see, that immigration is the driver of constraints on public services. Offensively wrong.

More or less total rubbish. And offensively so given the contribution low-paid, often low-skilled immigrants of exactly the kind that it is proposed to restrict have made to this country over the last few decades. You've also bought the lie, I see, that immigration is the driver of constraints on public services. Offensively wrong.
Immigration is of course a driver of constraint in services if it is not accommodated by an expansion in those services. That’s just trivially obvious.

Geldof....ha....
He's a conservative...Always has been. Even in Ireland he was a conservative...pain in the backside. Ireland was too small for him so off he trecked over to the UK ... and I'd put money on him moving to France with the horse if / when Brexit happens. He is a self-serving tax evader who is well known to be as tight as a gnats arse.

But..he has a point. And if movement of people becomes difficult then obviously that will effect the UK.

An even bigger problem will be with movement of goods and money.

All those ex pats living in Spain and other EU countries trying to have their pensions sent to them and finding that it won't be easy anymore cos their UK bank won't be allowed ease of transfer.

Nobody has thought this shit through. It will fuck up the UK for a long time. Your grandkids will hate you for it...and probably mine too.
The UK government has fucked over NI. They've set in motion the resurgence of the troubles and they don't give a fuck. They've fucked over the Republic too because this will have massive impacts on us.

And the people in the UK haven't the courage to go berzerk and March on their parliament .... no...they're pulling the stiff upper lip thing and thinking "we will be fine cos we always are".
Wait til your population starts dropping. It will.
Wait til people start leaving the UK....
The UK has never had a huge history of people leaving for work in the same way as Ireland.... They've no idea what's ahead. But it will happen.
Young people won't have jobs. They will leave and find work elsewhere. Then the UK will be well and truly screwed.

Rant over.
The key to understanding both Geldof and Bono is that they grew up in an era when Ireland was almost, but not quite, a developed country. As for the rise of mass British emigration, I think you may be right - but where would they go to? Oz and NZ are hard to get into, South Africa and Zimbabwe have their various issues, the USA is going to have certain issues of its own very shortly - that basically leaves Canada. And Ireland.

What is the matter with you - NHS nurses have had £500 pay rise in total since 2010. Are you so blind you can't join up the simplest of dots.
You think the tories being cunts is the fault of immigration? You think this austerity shit is the fault of immigration? Fuck me.

Nasty fucking shit on these boards nowadays. Dangerous, nasty shit.

Back
Top Bottom