Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

At Harwich port in Essex they appear to have given up any pretence of customs clearing import trailer loads of fresh foods destined for UK supermarket shelves. The idea was from Jan 1st there would be “light touch” clearance & then full clearance with proper sanitary checks from July. Never gonna happen. Trailers are pulled straight off the ferry from Holland & UK truck units hitch up to them & take them away. The driver accompanied foreign trucks drive straight off ferry & up the road. Either that or it’s empty supermarket shelves. Covid tests ? Who needs ’em ? The government are perfectly aware that as long as the supermarket shelves are full the general public will not notice the difference & that is all that matters.

Meanwhile UK exports to EU are subject to full customs clearance checks with every i dotted & every t crossed correctly or the load goes nowhere. I try to explain all that to my brexit voting neighbours but it is lost on them. What do they know about customs clearance & what do they care ?

Besides a small insert on the front page of the guardian HERE about the sixth night of unrest, there really is little conversation being had in the UK about the current conflict in Ireland. Brexit and the erosion of trust surrounding British politics & the Good Friday agreement must own some responsibility for this sorry affair.

6720.jpg

Don’t worry. Lexiters have an instant solution.
They can go on about neo liberalism, red walls, betrayed working classes, migrant drowning EU and the rest, but they voted ‘leave’ and have no solution to the reality they have ushered in.
Political poseurs and frauds, probably previously holding forth in the kitchens at parties going on about how ideologically voting brexit was a good thing for true left wingers to do...all the time ignoring facing up to the fresh border issues they have created by voting leave.
Lexiters are even worse cunts than the Farage lot, because at least the Farage types are honest in their cuntishness and foreigner hatred, Lexiters probably think of themselves as cool good guys.

One R4 this morning & I wern’t paying that much attention but they were interviewing a city type about brexit. His argument was just how good brexit could be for UK business if only the rest of the world would do what we want it too. For example he said the UK & EU should “work together“ to simplify customs procedures & pointed out the EU had put up unforeseen barriers to trade for shellfish & so on. He said the opportunities for trade with the US were great but we need a trade deal with them.

This was not some blustering politician arguing from a base of no knowledge this was a bloke who should know what he was talking about but first requirement was that rest of the world should fall in with what UK wants then it would all be ok. Which it would be if only the rest of the world would see our sensible & logical pov was his argument.

Plus we should obviously turn over all our services like the NHS to the Americans. That would work for business, too. :thumbs:

I read a story tonight about France cutting off electricity to Jersey.
I suppose if leave is supposed to mean leave, with the added notion of they need us more than we need them, then the UK and/or Jersey doesn't need French leccy.
I vaguely remember a story a while back about the Government looking to deploy floating power stations around Northern Ireland.
If France can cut the Jersey electricity, then it might give quite a few people quite a few ideas.

And came in your pants.

I suppose if leave is supposed to mean leave, with the added notion of they need us more than we need them, then the UK and/or Jersey doesn't need French leccy.
I vaguely remember a story a while back about the Government looking to deploy floating power stations around Northern Ireland.
If France can cut the Jersey electricity, then it might give quite a few people quite a few ideas.

Jersey was never in the EU and one deranged French politician with the same psycho mentality as you doesn't make for official French policy, sorry to disappoint.

Jersey has the sole power to issue the licences, and as of last week all fishing boats are required to have a licence to operate there.
On Friday, the Jersey government granted 41 permits to French fishing vessels that are equipped with technology that allows them to be located.
But the French government claimed the list of approved ships came with further demands that "were not arranged or discussed, and which we were not notified about".

The French fisheries ministry said the new rules dictated "where the ships can go and cannot go" as well as the number of days fishermen can spend in the area.
"This is absolutely unacceptable," Ms Girardin said. "If we accept this for Jersey, it would imperil our access everywhere."

Sounds a bit like sovereignty to me. I'd like to agree with Bahnoff but this is the French we are talking about - could go anyway.

These French sound terrible. Sound like they just dont know the meaning of fair play. Incapable of it probably. Very important that the Brits dont let them get away with it. Need to teach them a thing or two, that sort of thing.

These French sound terrible. Sound like they just dont know the meaning of fair play. Incapable of it probably. Very important that the Brits dont let them get away with it. Need to teach them a thing or two, that sort of thing.

Spent a fair bit of my time working with a reasonably distinguished French company, found them to have a better understanding of the meaning of fair play than their British counterpart. Still, EUropean leccy has been dropping Hz too often for my liking in last few years glad UK - EU don't share AC

With a population of just 100k, difficult to see what they haven't started to harness their plentiful wind resources with a turbine farm.

Sadly you continue to be a control freak stalker.
Repetition of a load of auld shite doesn't make it a true load of auld shite. If you really thought I was in any way shape or form stalking you you'd have been boring editor to tears about it and I'm sure we'd have seen him say something about it.

Repetition of a load of auld shite doesn't make it a true load of auld shite. If you really thought I was in any way shape or form stalking you you'd have been boring editor to tears about it and I'm sure we'd have seen him say something about it.

Is editor supposed to be a moderator?
Yesterday there was fresh news about France, Jersey, Fishing and Electricity, and I commented about it.
Fresh news.
You decided not to make any mention of that news, but instead decided to go with the personals, as usual.
Stalker behaviour whenever I post, and control freakery in changing whatever agenda there may be in the light of the news, into your tiresome wankerish desire to re shape things for your own reasons.
Is there ever a thread or discussion that you don’t contribute something to in your own special creepy way?

Is editor supposed to be a moderator?
Yesterday there was fresh news about France, Jersey, Fishing and Electricity, and I commented about it.
Fresh news.
You decided not to make any mention of that news, but instead decided to go with the personals, as usual.
Stalker behaviour whenever I post, and control freakery in changing whatever agenda there may be in the light of the news, into your tiresome wankerish desire to re shape things for your own reasons.
Is there ever a thread or discussion that you don’t contribute something to in your own special creepy way?
I'd like you both to go on mutual ignore for a month as your ongoing beef is causing nothing but disruption to this thread. Please take any discussion of this decision to the feedback forum.

You're being unnecessarily modest here.

Credit where credit's due - the truth is that Macron heard about your earlier suggestion about cutting off the electricity provided to NI from across the current Irish border and thought France could try the same tactic on the Channel Islands.

I see the UK are sending a couple of gunboats (?) to the Channel Island waters because it is said that there will be a blockade by 100 French fishing vessels tomorrow.
Previously the dispute the UK lost (?) against Iceland was called the ‘cod wars’, I wonder what any conflict over this will be called.
The Sark strife?
Herm hostility?
The battle of blenny?

I see the UK are sending a couple of gunboats (?) to the Channel Island waters because it is said that there will be a blockade by 100 French fishing vessels tomorrow.
Previously the dispute the UK lost (?) against Iceland was called the ‘cod wars’, I wonder what any conflict over this will be called.
The Sark strife?
Herm hostility?
The battle of blenny?

Boris sees himself as Churchillian so he'd love to be a wartime leader

kebabking this sending of the gunboats is exactly parallel with the east asian gunboat thing we were talking about - all for show. Being sent "to observe". No chance of these boats seeing any actual action - its all for domestic consumption. Dont you reckon?

Back
Top Bottom