Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

When we're in Hamburg Mrs B heads straight for the Bismarck herring roll stands on the waterfront; she's mad for 'em...myself, I'm a bit meh
Never fear; I love the kipper and have a particular thing for these atm...especially if I rifle through the stack and find the packs with 3 fillets.

1614508554664.png

Dutch fish vans which as well as selling smoked herring also sell their version of fish & chips which is kibling & chips which is bits of fish deep fried in batter. Most will have a sign up saying they do herring parties. That might be the Dutch version of an ox roast except with fish.

Has any one been personally and effected by Brexit yet? I gather there may well be an issue with personal imports of cars. There have been taxes
levied on buying goods from Europe and selling goods to Europe, also returning goods that were bought in Europe.

I sourced to otherwise unobtainable CD's from an Austrian record shop yesterday, face value about £30 yet I have been charged tax of £7.00 something.
:mad:

Has any one been personally and effected by Brexit yet? I gather there may well be an issue with personal imports of cars. There have been taxes
levied on buying goods from Europe and selling goods to Europe, also returning goods that were bought in Europe.

I sourced to otherwise unobtainable CD's from an Austrian record shop yesterday, face value about £30 yet I have been charged tax of £7.00 something.
:mad:
For the first time since I joined my band we have zero European dates booked.

There was a similar issue to this at the weekend; someone had got landed with a £500 mixer from Belgium that they wanted to return

I had no idea of the implications about buying from Austria when I started my order!
Lets hope I don't want to reject the order :facepalm:

There was a similar issue to this at the weekend; someone had got landed with a £500 mixer from Belgium that they wanted to return

I had no idea of the implications about buying from Austria when I started my order!
Lets hope I don't want to reject the order :facepalm:
I bought some trainers from a company in Italy which cost in total €490. I ordered two pairs of different sizes and styles, intending sending one back.

They can fuck right off. Flying a pair of trainers 3000 km to try them on? £131 fine for being a knob seems quite reasonable in the circumstances.

I bought some trainers from a company in Italy which cost in total €490. I ordered two pairs of different sizes and styles, intending sending one back.

They can fuck right off. Flying a pair of trainers 3000 km to try them on? £131 fine for being a knob seems quite reasonable in the circumstances.
It's a fucking disaster and not just for rich people buying shoes.

If customs duty is due, the rate will vary depending on the exact nature of the product. To find out, you have to consult www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk. Allow several hours and a stiff drink.

As to the trainers, there are a number of categories for footwear, depending on what the sole is made of, and how it’s attached, which will make your hair stand on end. Clothes, shoes and food incur the highest rates; on 40% of merchandise there’s none at all.

Added to that is the handling fee charged by the delivery firm – and customers rarely get to choose which one it is.

Royal Mail has a flat fee of £8, and won’t deliver until you pay up. DHL pays the customs duty and import VAT on your behalf, but charges a fee of 2.5% of the duty/tax, with a minimum charge of £11.

The questions show how Brexit has compromised many of the consumer rights we take for granted. Take a seller’s failure to warn of the extra charges.

EU consumer protection legislation doesn’t generally apply now the UK has left the EU, according to James Kane of the Institute for Government, although member states can choose to extend it to non-EU consumers under the new Omnibus Directive.

So no, the seller doesn’t necessarily have to publish a warning to customers outside the bloc. And as for returning items, EU sellers may not have to apply distance-selling regulations which allow customers to cancel within 14 days.

“EU sellers might refuse to accept returns from the UK because they would then have the hassle of clearing the goods back through customs, and having to claim exemptions from EU import duty,” says Kane. “You, as the ‘exporter’ of the goods you’re returning, will have to fill out a customs declaration form, which you can get from the post office.”

We make the best shoes in the world mainly around Nottingham. Grenson make lush trainers. People get paid a UK wage for cobbling.
That's nice if you can afford such luxuries, but the majority of people can't afford £285 hand made trainers, so surely you'll be strongly condemning these extra charges brought on by Brexit, yes?

Norman Walsh make trainers in Bolton - their prices start at 80 quid or so.
I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I was responding to TopCat's post which seemed to infer that people should just shrug off these import charges and buy from Grenson instead. I'm sure there are some great shoes made in the UK but that's not going to stop people wanting to buy cheaper/named brands from abroad.

I'd imagine that Norman Walsh's export business may be negatively impacted by Brexit too, which is of curse a real shame for an independent business. I'd certainly think twice about buying off a website that came with these caveats.

Brexit Update:

As the UK has now left the European Union, orders to Europe may now be affected with additional terms and customs procedures.

With the recent trade agreement, orders to the EU under €150 may be taxed at the border and may incur a customs clearance/handling fee in the receiving country. Orders over €150 may attract VAT, customs duties and a clearance/handling fee. These charges are out of our control.

The customs authorities in the destination country and the customs thresholds in place determine if charges are due on imported goods and are not decided by Walsh. The levels and thresholds of charges vary from country to country and we cannot advise on what these may be. Please contact the embassy or customs authority of your destination country for help.

Orders to Non-EU destinations may be liable to customs charges. These charges and any additional charges for customs clearance must be paid by you. We have no control over these charges. Customs policies vary from country to country; please contact your local customs office for further information.

Please note, delays can occur from delivery couriers and customs which are out of our control.

I'm sure there are some great shoes made in the UK but that's not going to stop people wanting to buy cheaper/named brands from abroad.
There's not a huge amount of trainer manufacturers left in the UK now, mostly because of cheaper brands from abroad being available. I'm really not convinced that being able to get cheaper things from abroad is a 100% positive thing tbh.

lightweight (running) trainers with strong arch support designed for overpronation
there isn't a lot about tbh - Walsh used to make serious runners but mostly just make fashion trainers now (and fellrunning shoes, but I don't think they'd really work for everyday wear) - New Balance manufacture some stuff in the UK though, might be worth digging through their MIE range. That's about it though - there's a few other sneaker manufacturers, but none of them are sports shoes as far as I can tell.

That's nice if you can afford such luxuries, but the majority of people can't afford £285 hand made trainers, so surely you'll be strongly condemning these extra charges brought on by Brexit, yes?
About the same price you quoted no? Except the far east cobblers get thrupence a day.

Back
Top Bottom