Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

My Nottingham hand made shoes are infinitely repairable. Churches, Barkers, Grensons. I get them repaired by local cobblers.
All good, a continuous English tradition that sadly are more appreciated by folk abroad whatever the cost.

I have a pair of Church's shoes. They're made of Spanish leather. Which just got more difficult to import and now costs more.

So if I understand this thread properly, we now have to spin that as a benefit of Brexit, or failing that, dismiss the issue as a middle class problem..?

one last try to see if anyone has anything to say on this thread

I have a pair of Church's shoes. They're made of Spanish leather. Which just got more difficult to import and now costs more.

So if I understand this thread properly, we now have to spin that as a benefit of Brexit, or failing that, dismiss the issue as a middle class problem..?
I'm not sure where he's going with the argument, but he appears to be advocating that we support a manufacturer of high-end, unaffordable luxury goods owned by a multinational company with an 'abysmally low score ' on forced labour and worker exploitation. And that is, presumably, his idea of a Brexit success.

No, you’ve not understood this thread properly at all. The point is that the world is way too complicated to just break things down as either a “benefit” or a “harm”. Most things are both at the same time. A chocolate bar benefits me now but harms me in the long run. The choice to order two pairs of shoes from Italy and send the pair I don’t want back benefits my ability to improve my wardrobe and benefits the shoemaker’s profit and loss but harms the environment and local shoemakers. Leaving trading systems intact benefits the population’s ability to maintain their immediate standard of living but may harm their ability to disrupt the future system in their favour. It’s not simple.

Last edited:
It's a bit like you can't really say that Covid-19 is a "bad" thing just because you reckon the immediate and visible harms outweigh some notional long term benefits that may or may not materialise.

OBR seeing an overall 4% long-term decline in UK productivity as a result of the introduction of non-tariff barriers following the EU-UK TCA.

1614784184767.png

I'm not sure where he's going with the argument, but he appears to be advocating that we support a manufacturer of high-end, unaffordable luxury goods owned by a multinational company with an 'abysmally low score ' on forced labour and worker exploitation. And that is, presumably, his idea of a Brexit success.

Buy British not expensive trainers from abroad. Grensons do good ones for less than a hundred quid. Plus their shoes are often a similar price. Simples. Globalisation is not a good thing. Perhaps you disagree and support it? I don’t expect an answer btw. Just abuse an a simpleton meme.

Buy British not expensive trainers from abroad. Grensons do good ones for less than a hundred quid. Plus their shoes are often a similar price. Simples. Globalisation is not a good thing. Perhaps you disagree and support it? I don’t expect an answer btw. Just abuse an a simpleton meme.
I think you need to ask yourself that question, seeing as you were very recently recommending that poor people should somehow find the money to invest in expensive shoes from a company owned by a vast multinational luxury brand empire with an 'abysmally low score' on forced labour and worker exploitation.

Or is globalisation OK for you when you like the brand?

I think you need to ask yourself that question, seeing as you were very recently recommending that poor people should somehow find the money to invest in expensive shoes from a company owned by a vast multinational luxury brand empire with an 'abysmally low score' on forced labour and worker exploitation.

Or is globalisation OK for you when you like the brand?
I but British made shoes that last and provide jobs here. What do you do?

I but British made shoes that last and provide jobs here. What do you do?
It's great that you can afford to buy such expensive shoes, but if you're going to try and claim some kind of moral high ground here, you need to question whether you should be supporting a business owned by a luxury global brand with a horrendous record on forced labour and worker exploitation.

What do you do?
Oh I prefer actions rather than words, so I'd say this site represents what I do: something that hopefully provides support and community, and comes completely free of advertising, sponsorships (luxury brands or otherwise) and is absolutely free and accessible to all. Same applies to my other site, which also manages to raise a fair bit of money for local charities every year.

You see, we're all hypocrites, even you. Every day we soak up the vast benefits that globalisation has brought us even if we hate the process, the waste, the greed, the pollution, and and the disparity of wealth. Selectively opting out of bits of it while suggesting people go out and buy unaffordable luxury brand shoes from England (while ignoring the company's global provenance) hardly gives you access to the high moral ground.

I do what I can but it will never be enough.

It's great that you can afford to buy such expensive shoes, but if you're going to try and claim some kind of moral high ground here, you need to question whether you should be supporting a business owned by a luxury global brand with a horrendous record on forced labour and worker exploitation.

Oh I prefer actions rather than words, so I'd say this site represents what I do: something that hopefully provides support and community, and comes completely free of advertising, sponsorships (luxury brands or otherwise) and is absolutely free and accessible to all. Same applies to my other site, which also manages to raise a fair bit of money for local charities every year.

You see, we're all hypocrites, even you. Every day we soak up the vast benefits that globalisation has brought us even if we hate the process, the waste, the greed, the pollution, and and the disparity of wealth. Selectively opting out of bits of it while suggesting people go out and buy unaffordable luxury brand shoes from England (while ignoring the company's global provenance) hardly gives you access to the high moral ground.

I do what I can but it will never be enough.
What do you wear on your feet and what influences your choice?

You could just ignore me btw. Might be best.
Or you can just stop the needless - and more recently - completely ignorant and spiteful personal attacks on my life and my work.

This thread is about Brexit, not about what make of shoes I wear.

Or you can just stop the needless - and more recently - completely ignorant and spiteful personal attacks on my life and my work.

This thread is about Brexit, not about what make of shoes I wear.
You just come across as a relentless hypocrite to be fair. I won’t respond to your posts again.

From this story

this line really stood out to me:
" , a survey last week by the Food and Drink Federation of its members that send goods to the EU found a 45% drop in exports since 1 January."
Thats pretty incredible if true and not just as statistical mirage

So, faced with food shortages, taking back control of our borders becomes the trade equivalent of osmosis.

1615108897347.png

Back
Top Bottom