Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

The general line from the Express seems to be "EU is floundering desperately after losing Britain," so they'll probably keep criticizing the deal until EU leaders grant all British demands and visit London to bow to the Queen.

What is it the right wing media do not understand about customs clearance ? I understood it ok in pre customs union days & I was only ever a truck driver. One thing wrong on a inch thick pile of paperwork & you sat in your stopped truck for 5 hours while it was sorted out.

"Eat Hake for a Clean Break?"
Nothing wrong with Hake or Herring. It annoys me that smoked herring very cheap can be found on supermarket shelves in Holland & France but not in the UK. It will have been caught in UK waters. I love it. Goes well with salad or just cooked veg. Smoked mackerel can be found in UK shops ok. All good stuff. Oily fish. :thumbs:

Smoked herring, aka kippers.

Smoked herring, aka kippers.
No. Kippers are herring slit lengthways & then smoked. They need to be warmed to be eaten. Smoked herring is is pieces of fish already prepared then smoked or maybe whole fish is smoked then prepared ? I don’t know but it can be eaten cold straight from packet. You don’t seem to get them in UK. Maybe some fishmongers might do them but in Holland & France they are plastic wrapped on the supermarket cold shelf very cheap.

I suppose for people that “don’t like fish” smoked herring would be their ultimate nightmare. Wet slimy & quite bland but very healthy source of protein & B12. I’m sure brexity people who love their Sunday roasts, hate fish & would fight like cats in a sack to get “our fishing waters back” would regard smoked herring as “foreign muck” despite herring being in abundance in “our fishing waters”. :D

Last edited:
No. Kippers are herring slit lengthways & then smoked. They need to be warmed to be eaten. Smoked herring is is pieces of fish already prepared then smoked or maybe whole fish is smoked then prepared ? I don’t know but it can be eaten cold straight from packet. You don’t seem to get them in UK. Maybe some fishmongers might do them but in Holland & France they are plastic wrapped on the supermarket cold shelf very cheap.

I suppose for people that “don’t like fish” smoked herring would be their ultimate nightmare. Wet slimy & quite bland but very healthy source of protein & B12. I’m sure brexity people who love their Sunday roasts, hate fish & would fight like cats in a sack to get “our fishing waters back” would regard smoked herring as “foreign muck” despite herring being in abundance in “our fishing waters”. :D
I like it. Hard to find in the uk though to buy.

I’m going to take a walk down Deptford Market to the fish place. There was some interesting stuff the last time. I’m hoping for a fat wild sea bass. Maybe some samphire and a few cockles.
Our local fishmonger had a whole halibut in the window yesterday. You don't see that often. #benefitsofbrexit

Well it was interesting as always down Deptford market this morning. Twenty person hard to manage queue at the fish stall as always. Everything looking really good due to the cold morning

Lots less of the parrot fish and red mullet and other exotic previously frozen stuff (which has always been a staple on this stall was evident.

They had much more fish caught locally in UK waters, this was obvious. what was immediately obvious was the quality of the cuts of the fish.

Monkfish aren’t rare but we usually get the tails sold here. Today they had glistening middle cut Monkfish. It’s like getting the middle cut of the beef sirloin joint instead of the end.

This saddle of Monkfish was glistening with freshness. I bought it.

I also got scallops in their shells, recently dredged, all closed. These are unknown at this stall. They had a tank and a bubbler for them.

None of this stall is priced up, but it’s one price for all pretty much. Lots of yelling at punters wanting to touch and pick up the live lobster and crabs. All very Deptford.
They had wild Jery Seabass, fat, huge, stiff with rigour.
Any way. I paid twenty quid for a kilo of mid loin fab monkfish and six huge scallops. Never usually get this selection, quality of price

Well it was interesting as always down Deptford market this morning. Twenty person hard to manage queue at the fish stall as always. Everything looking really good due to the cold morning

Lots less of the parrot fish and red mullet and other exotic previously frozen stuff (which has always been a staple on this stall was evident.

They had much more fish caught locally in UK waters, this was obvious. what was immediately obvious was the quality of the cuts of the fish.

Monkfish aren’t rare but we usually get the tails sold here. Today they had glistening middle cut Monkfish. It’s like getting the middle cut of the beef sirloin joint instead of the end.

This saddle of Monkfish was glistening with freshness. I bought it.

I also got scallops in their shells, recently dredged, all closed. These are unknown at this stall. They had a tank and a bubbler for them.

None of this stall is priced up, but it’s one price for all pretty much. Lots of yelling at punters wanting to touch and pick up the live lobster and crabs. All very Deptford.
They had wild Jery Seabass, fat, huge, stiff with rigour.
Any way. I paid twenty quid for a kilo of mid loin fab monkfish and six huge scallops. Never usually get this selection, quality of price

Despite your hard work in highlighting the sunny post-Brexit uplands, the reality is that most UK fish consumers are very conservative. They eat a very limited selection of UK caught fish, which is why most fishermen relied very heavily on EU exports. I live in the SW and the fishing industry down here is on its knees as EU exports are not viable.

Despite your hard work in highlighting the sunny post-Brexit uplands, the reality is that most UK fish consumers are very conservative. They eat a very limited selection of UK caught fish, which is why most fishermen relied very heavily on EU exports. I live in the SW and the fishing industry down here is on its knees as EU exports are not viable.
And this is just inherent to the biology of the British? Or it is a cultural practice rooted in historical political and supply-chain processes that is subject to ongoing evolution as those politics and supply chains change?

Back
Top Bottom