Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The big Brexit thread - news, updates and discussion

Dunno about 3 bed but very tempted by a four bed for £210k
You can pick up a three-floor, four bedroom semi-detached in the heart of Blaenau Ffestiniog in 'gentrified' Snowdonia for just £79k if you're really strapped for cash. Looks nice too.

1613912413477.png

It appears that you don't actually know what gentrification is:

Gentrification is the "process whereby the character of a poor urban area is changed by wealthier people moving in, improving housing, and attracting new businesses, often displacing current inhabitants in the process."

I don't see any reason why the word should be used exclusively in an urban context.

And it's certainly the case that the areas kebabking have been affected by something which only a pedant could argue wasn't effectively gentrification.

I don't see any reason why the word should be used exclusively in an urban context.
Oh, OK. So the idea is that people can just totally change the accepted meaning of words after they've been used incorrectly?

But if a gentrified neighbourhood can offer four bedroom semi detached houses in the centre of town for just £79k, I'll have to change my opinion about the process.

As somebody who keeps a very close eye on house prices across Snowdonia, I can tell you that its housing market has neatly bifurcated. There are areas that the incomers don’t want to live in, which are still incredibly cheap. And there are the areas that incomers want to move to, retire to or have second homes in, and these have become insanely expensive. This is creating a problem for long-term rural families in the area, because the places popular with incomers tend to be of the housing stock that would traditionally have been places they would have raised a family. Yes, you can still buy a shop in Dolgellau for next to nothing but the four bedroom place on the outskirts of the town or up into the foothills of Cadairr or the Rhinogydds will now cost an amount that local families are never going to be able to afford. This creates a ghettoisation that to deny is a form of gentrification takes a particular focus to achieve.

Even this is slightly missing the point, though. The type of gentrification that I am speculating about is something new owing to a dislocation in working practices. To look for examples of it in existing population movements is to misunderstand how this kind of abrupt shift works. Nothing exists until it exists, then it can rapidly become pervasive. In the same way that the popularity of the motor car brought with it new ways of consumption and working (such as dormer villages and out of town shopping centres), the popularity of home working is likely to bring new patterns of living accommodation.

As somebody who keeps a very close eye on house prices across Snowdonia, I can tell you that its housing market has neatly bifurcated. There are areas that the incomers don’t want to live in, which are still incredibly cheap. And there are the areas that incomers want to move to, retire to or have second homes in, and these have become insanely expensive. This is creating a problem for long-term rural families in the area, because the places popular with incomers tend to be of the housing stock that would traditionally have been places they would have raised a family. Yes, you can still buy a shop in Dolgellau for next to nothing but the four bedroom place on the outskirts of the town or up into the foothills of Cadairr or the Rhinogydds will now cost an amount that local families are never going to be able to afford. This creates a ghettoisation that to deny is a form of gentrification takes a particular focus to achieve.

Even this is slightly missing the point, though. The type of gentrification that I am speculating about is something new owing to a dislocation in working practices. To look for examples of it in existing population movements is to misunderstand how this kind of abrupt shift works. Nothing exists until it exists, then it can rapidly become pervasive. In the same way that the popularity of the motor car brought with it new ways of consumption and working (such as dormer villages and out of town shopping centres), the popularity of home working is likely to bring new patterns of living accommodation.
So which towns in Snowdonia would you describe as being gentrified (using the commonly accepted meaning of the process, which involves poor neighbourhoods being displaced by well off incomers, local businesses being priced out by new on-trend shops, escalating rents and a proliferation of trendy, upmarket, unaffordable new businesses?)

The existence of lovely Victorian mansions and high quality homes in beautiful settings miles away from the town centres is utterly irrelevant to this debate.

Another benefit:

News today that five people have died and hundreds seriously ill, mostly children, thanks to salmonella chicken from Poland. Now we’ll be able to seek a trade deal with countries that sanitise their chicken in chlorine, thus saving lives.

I have no idea what difference they think that will make other than focusing efforts on pointless gestures.
Once we have successfully established "European" as a legally recognised identity, then we can begin to work on getting our red passports back.

I have no idea what difference they think that will make other than focusing efforts on pointless gestures.
What I always found a bit off about the Nuremburg trials is that they gave the translation job to IBM, same company that helped organise the 33 & 39 German censuses

Reminds me of a cartoon in Private Eye in the 80s after England cricket team had performed dismally just after Gooch resigned as captain. It had picture of cricket field with all the positions marked and down in the corner was a little rain cloud labelled "Gooch's gloomy place".

To the UK on that you could add most other countries in the rest of the world. How many ordinary people will be bothered by this though ? The general attitude now seems to be we are where we are just get on with it. Brexit is done. For most UK people their only connection with life outside UK is holidays & once the Covid thing is over then holidays in Spain & so on will be back on. It might take another 10mins at the airport.

1614044732379-png.255702

Our glorious future:

View attachment 255702

its been said on this thread in the last week it would be impossible for the UK to be in the EU customs union without also subscribing to freedom of movement - that's not true, we could've been in the Turkey zone on that diagram. Customs Union seemed a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom