Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Is there much psychological difference between declaring and being bowled out, on either side? Just thinking if Australia can bowl us out they'll at least have some sense of achievement, whereas if we don't evengive them the chance...

This is a joke, yes?

Is there much psychological difference between declaring and being bowled out, on either side? Just thinking if Australia can bowl us out they'll at least have some sense of achievement, whereas if we don't evengive them the chance...

Not when we broke 500 yet again and lead by over 400, no

I don't think going for a 6 is ever sensible in this form of cricket (obviously chasing a total excepted).

The game would be much poorer if batsmen didn't go for sixes. Would KP's 158 at the Oval in 2005 have had the same impact without 7 sixes? It says something to the bowler. It says 'Don't bother mate, you're shit.' It says 'I don't care if you're the leading wicket-taker in the world, I've just reverse swept you for six.'

Boycott was saying something similar on TMS; that Aus taking wickets to bowl England out will give them (the Aussies) a positive boost.

Boyc's declared we were going to lose this test after 12 minutes. Obviously got a bee in his bonnet about something.

Let's have one of these:

528359-ricky-ponting.jpg

Well I didn't mean in this specific instance (rather academic now :D), but just in general. I dunno, I suppose it's obvious, but I don't follow cricket much so I wondered if there were subtle arts of... whatever.

Valid; there are a large number of declarations with 8 or 9 down. I often think they're because of the waste of time sending someone in for almost no runs, but I have heard Boycott (OK, I've read what was said) talk about the impact of a declaration.

Valid; there are a large number of declarations with 8 or 9 down. I often think they're because of the waste of time sending someone in for almost no runs, but I have heard Boycott (OK, I've read what was said) talk about the impact of a declaration.

it's definitely valid. If you've got numbers 10 and 11 in, it's a waste of time for them to scratch about adding a few paltry runs when you've already got a bit lead. If the other team bowls you out they go off having just got 10 wickets and they feel alright about themselves.

On the other hand when you're leading by 415 runs the comfort is gonna pretty meagre, I should imagine.

Back
Top Bottom