Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Read a pretty cool profile on ponting today in the observer. Complete with an excellent pic of him as a 12yo mulleted shane from neighbours lookalike. Can't post a link as I'm on a iPod. Anyway. Interesting to read about his background. They actually tried to change the rules after his average hit 500 odd as a kid.

Always had a lot of respect for him, no idea why the poms go so hard at him. fear?

Read a pretty cool profile on ponting today in the observer. Complete with an excellent pic of him as a 12yo mulleted shane from neighbours lookalike. Can't post a link as I'm on a iPod. Anyway. Interesting to read about his background. They actually tried to change the rules after his average hit 500 odd as a kid.

Always had a lot of respect for him, no idea why the poms go so hard at him. fear?

More scared of Warne and McGrath.

It's perhaps because he comes across as unpleasant. I bumped into him at an Ashes warm-up match at Chelmsford in 2001ish, he was rested and spent the time in the bar drinking and loudly insulting the members. Not good. He's certainly more mature and conducts himself a lot better nowadays, but he retains an impression of being easily riled which people will always play on - witness the whole Gary Pratt incident.

I heard it when Xavier Doherty was selected, yeah.[/QUOTE

Dunno about that,your best batsman,KP,has been out to left arm orthodox spinners 17 times in 60 odd tests:cool:Hauritz has been hanging on by the skin of his teeth to his spot so it was no suprise really.Steve Smith is in the wings as well,has been playing an all rounders role but a ripper of a left hand leggy.
You blokes want to look out when he arrives full time:)

I heard it when Xavier Doherty was selected, yeah.

Dunno about that,your best batsman,KP,has been out to left arm orthodox spinners 17 times in 60 odd tests:cool:Hauritz has been hanging on by the skin of his teeth to his spot so it was no suprise really.Steve Smith is in the wings as well,has been playing an all rounders role but a ripper of a left hand leggy.
You blokes want to look out when he arrives full time:)[/QUOTE]

All banter aside, it's a real indication of crisis if the selectors are picking a bowler because they think he'll trouble one batsman.

Looks like Clarke's fucked. His back is still giving him trouble, they've drafted in someone else I've never heard of.

Definitely can't write off the Australians, but I think the series is there for England to win.

It's all about the England top order. I think we have a decent bowling line-up. The starting 4 + 3 good back-ups are all Test standard. But our batting is always fragile. Not convinced by Cook. I think we should have moved Trott up to opener and had an extra bowler. No point adding extra batsmen to compensate for out of form batsmen. Take the out of form batsmen out the side and have a balanced team.

Btw whats the weather forecast for the 1st day of the ashes?

It's brisbane. what do u think? it's sunny and hot in the middle of winter, let alone late november.

i went into the bookies last night to lose money on the City game. took a glance at the ashes odds. England were at 13/8. unbelievable. all bullshit aside i think the poms are gonna whitewash this. im gonna stick a crafty hundred quid on this.

I think a whitewash is unlikely. Looking back through the last 20 years of Test match results in Australia, there are a decreasing number of draws. Perhaps groundsmen are producing result pitches? Sydney and Perth seem the two grounds most likely to produce a draw. I think the series will be 2-2 or 3-1 to England.

It's brisbane. what do u think? it's sunny and hot in the middle of winter, let alone late november.

Was just wondering cause i heard on the news a few weeks ago there would be more rain than normal over the next couple of months or so over in Austrailia, but wasn't sure where abouts they meant.

'best batsmen' er, not on current form mate! Btw whats the weather forecast for the 1st day of the ashes?

minimum of 19cel up to 26cel.Possible showers and about 60-75% humidity.Balmy queensland day,ball will be skidding thru and moving about a bit for the seamers.
Khawaja has a first class average of 50.44 from 23 innings,23 years old,left hander,thats all i know about him

i went into the bookies last night to lose money on the City game. took a glance at the ashes odds. England were at 13/8. unbelievable. all bullshit aside i think the poms are gonna whitewash this. im gonna stick a crafty hundred quid on this.

I think they're ok odds, no more than that. England's batting could fail. The likes of Johnson or Bollinger could run through the England order.

Then again, they may well not. But I wouldn't be putting money on it.

The BBC forecast for Brisbane says showers and 'sunny spells', which implies cloud cover even if it's not raining.

Humid, cloud cover. Ooooo, dilemma – do you do the sensible thing if you win the toss, and bat, or do you take a chance on Jimmy A getting some swing first up? Hmmmm.

hussain_gty_1456008c.jpg

Is that one of the Chappels on the far left? He looks like he's never seen anyone toss a coin before ever and it's really amazing.

Nasser's desperately trying to look like he's not bothered. And failing...

I think a whitewash is unlikely. Looking back through the last 20 years of Test match results in Australia, there are a decreasing number of draws. Perhaps groundsmen are producing result pitches? Sydney and Perth seem the two grounds most likely to produce a draw. I think the series will be 2-2 or 3-1 to England.

I think it's more to do with the Australian team and their style of playing the game - with the players they had over the last 15 years they were able to go out all guns blazing and practically eliminate the draw. They either won or, if it went wrong, they lost.

Anyway, given the ignorant comments we usually hear about foreign born (African or Asian) players in the England side, I'll be fascinated to hear what Australians have to say about someone born in Islamabad wearing the baggy green :D

Ticket prices for the first test: AU$30–80. Whole series live on free-to-air telly.

How it should be. Oh that English cricket were not run by such a bunch of cunts. :(

Back
Top Bottom