Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

I actually agree with the idea. You do realise there's back to back tests coming up? Don't wanna wear the bowlers out right at the start of the tour.

Oh and got to make sure your reserves are warmed up properly just incase aswell. I'd say preperations been pretty much spot on this time round.

Depends on the bowler. I'd want Jimmy A, for instance, bowling as many overs as he could. Broad and Finn too. They're young and they need rhythm. I'm not suggesting they should be busting every sinew in Hobart, but running in rhythmically and bowling.

That's how you get fit to bowl. Activities are very muscle-specific – you cannot exercise the muscle combos you need for bowling in a gym. Only by bowling will you strengthen your muscles appropriately. It's a point I think the current England management have wrong. Sending bowlers on 'gym weeks' is ludicrous, for instance – if you want them strengthened for bowling, get them bowling.

Oh and got to make sure your reserves are warmed up properly just incase aswell. I'd say preperations been pretty much spot on this time round.

That's a fair enough point. Hopefully at least this match has served to show that of the reserves, Shahzad should be the first in line!

I'm guessing this was a decision taken by Andy Flower. Much as I like Andy Flower, and I do – it is odd how Zimbabweans seem suited to managing England – he knows fuck all about bowling too.

Oh, another warning sign for me. In the papers today, they were praising Strauss, Bell and Pietersen for running the 5k from the ground to the hotel after the day's play. Smacks of the Gooch era, that does. I don't care if they're great cross-country runners. They could have done an hour's net and taken a taxi...

Just lost a couple of quick wickets after trott/cook were going well, good to see cook get to 60 but then got out to a lazy high shot...

Why do channel 9 in austrailia do this? The commentators have fucked off and now our presenters are having to commentate!! What the hell is the point in showing the game if you don't stay with it until the end of the day???

Why do channel 9 in austrailia do this? The commentators have fucked off and now our presenters are having to commentate!! What the hell is the point in showing the game if you don't stay with it until the end of the day???

Someone threw something on a barbie, I'll wager.

Whose call was it to have the final warm-up in Hobart? You might as well warm up in auckland, it'd be closer to the conditions in brissie next week.

did the aussies decide this?

Whose call was it to have the final warm-up in Hobart? You might as well warm up in auckland, it'd be closer to the conditions in brissie next week.

did the aussies decide this?

Yes, apparently its a common trick. Thats why England sent their bowlers off early.

cant england decide where and when they warm up? im sure on rugby tours that's the case.

I guess you have input but ultimatly its up to your hosts.

Australia are our hosts, we've asked for three competative matches and they've provided, we don't get to be picky about where they're played. Its the same for touring sides over here.

The thinking being that any host organisation would want to maximise revenue and keep their various regions happy, so they're free to award warm-up games as they see fit.

they are dirty cheating bastards, they will do anything to maximise advantage and increase pressure, and gain a mental edge. it's the australian sportsman's way!

Bit like scheduling a test match in Durham in May against the West Indies, then?

Actually, no, it's nowhere near as underhand as that.

Bit like scheduling a test match in Durham in May against the West Indies, then?

Actually, no, it's nowhere near as underhand as that.

The West Indies Cricket Board should really hang their head in shame over that one though. After god knows how many years of trying to win the Wisdon Trophy they finally get it and then agree to a 2 test series in England in May and agree the trophy is up for grabs. Suckers.

Can't wait for the Ashes, got my ticket for the MCG on Boxing Day, going with my Australian Father in Law

we've been having a bit of banter over the last few months about the Ashes although everytime he's phoned in the last few weeks the subject hasn't come up as much :D

i'm hoping that I can toast an Ashes victory at our wedding celebration on 2nd January where i will be literally the only English person in attendance *tempts fate*

my friends are going over on monday for the first two tests. unfortunately they had to save up a load of holiday allowance for the world cup next year.

Back
Top Bottom