Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

I don't know what I enjoyed more in this series, England's fantastic performance or Australias nightmare. Watsons run out and Johnsons duck were possibly the funniest things I've ever seen in test cricket.

None of the pitches they played on were exceptional for those grounds.

Except that they left more grass on to help their own quicks and negate Swann. Swann played a crucial role just being on the team sheet, scaring the Aussies into preparing pitches that were ideal for England's quicks!

The big difference between the teams, I think, was reverse swing. England got it, Australia didn't. Both England and Pakistan's batsmen struggled last summer because both teams had bowlers who could reverse swing. Only Australia struggled this series because only England's bowlers could reverse it.

I think England would still have won had Australia not been panicked into producing green wickets for the last two tests, and even had it been hot and sunny, because Swann would have produced the goods as he did in Adelaide. But they wouldn't have absolutely thrashed them. The only good Aus bowler, imo, was Harris, and he's both old and physically fucked, so they really need to rip their attack up and start again, beginning with a ruthless decision over Johnson. Johnson reminds me both of Harmison and Devon Malcolm. The harsh truth is that England persevered with Malcolm because they were a poor team and there was nobody else to turn to, but eventually his inconsistency had to be dumped. Same with Johnson – he could pull the whole team down with him if they're not careful.

I don't think the reversing was the only difference. I think the biggest factor was the accuracy and consistency of the English attack. They had numerous sessions throughout the series where they strangled the batsmen with line and length. Conversely, while the Aussie attack had moments of pressure - it was never sustained. Either Johnson started flinging all over the show, or one of the others bowled a consistent, but predictable line that was milked.

It is true that England have basically won in English conditions, losing the test in the one place not affected by the wet summer.
nope; 'typical English conditions' actually means 'pissing it down most of the time' - like in London today.:D
Celebrate people, this is a day to remember for all our lives; our boys utterly and totally demolished the aussie cricket team. It gets no better than this :cool:

One for the album:

2gw9xc0.jpg

I recommend everyone read the aussie cricket press in depth and at length. the sheer pain in each word is both excruciating and hilarious :D

Read summat interesting from either Vic Marks or Mike Selvey in the Graun. Basically saying that England were getting the ball to reverse earlier, after 20 overs or so, by bowling it cross seam when it was new so that it gets scuffed up off the pitch straight away. In other words, just ignoring trying to hit the seam at all, maximise the scuffing up of the ball immediately. Quite believable really, they had plans for everything.

Yep, I read that. And making sure the fielders only held the ball between forefinger and thumb. It's impressive attention to detail.

now the ashes are over, and won in fine style by the england, if you haven't heard, will this thread be the place for discussion of the t20 and odi series? there's a great deal more gloating to be done, that's for sure.

I think the modern custom of holding the one-dayers after the tests is a big mistake. I couldn't care less who wins them now the test series has been decided.

ODI could be held between Tests, to spread out the series (keep your prize bowlers well rested) and to give reserve and out-of-form players some practice.

I've also read a rumour :hmm: that England decided not to waste any marginal reviews on Hughes seeing as they knew they'd get him out easily enough anyway

I'm not sure I believe that rumour. He does have two test hundreds to his name.

However, I do think England's reverse-swing tactic – sacrificing some early conventional swing in order to achieve it – may partially explain Shane Watson's performance. He survived until the ball started reversing and perished soon after to the reversing ball.

You know, watching the reviewless NZ vs Pak match makes one appreciate the review system all the more.

You know, watching the reviewless NZ vs Pak match makes one appreciate the review system all the more.

yeah i agree. that mccullum let-off when he gloved it was a prime example. brings us back to the subject of batsmen walking or not when they know they're out, which mccullum blatantly realised he was.

I think the modern custom of holding the one-dayers after the tests is a big mistake. I couldn't care less who wins them now the test series has been decided.
same goes for me, so in that light (and assuming the paying public down under feel the same way), santino's idea (#3493) makes total sense

Have we mentioned David Saker being signed up for another three years as bowling coach? Rumour had it that he was about to be offered the Australia job. Must have looked at the current shambles of an organisation and decided against.

lbj: yeah, maybe a little far fetched but then again, there does seem to have been a general level headedness in the latter Tests about reviews, using them sparingly rather than the first time an appeal's turned down. Good to see.

Another great thing: Jimmy hiding the ball until the moment he let it go, denying the batsman any chance of seeing which way he was holding it. Great stuff

yeah i agree. that mccullum let-off when he gloved it was a prime example. brings us back to the subject of batsmen walking or not when they know they're out, which mccullum blatantly realised he was.

That moment is what inspired me to post that, it was outrageous and as you say there is no way he didnt know that he had hit it.

So, what were your favourite numbers of the series then?

A selection:

517/1
2/3
1137/6
98 all out, 157/0
766 @ 127.66
24 @ 26.04
3-1
:)

Here's a good one:
Alastair Cook batted for 2150 minutes in the series
Australia batted for 3603 minutes
:cool:

Edit: and that is Australia's 9 completed innings plus the second innings at Brisbane v Cook's 7 chances to bat

Time spent at the crease by England's openers (7 innings): 2881 mins
Total Australian batting time (10 innings): 3603 mins

And so on :D

Aggregate scores:

England: 2864/56 from 7 completed innings

Australia: 2524/90 from 9 completed innings (excluding Brisbane second innings)

I don't think you should exclude Brisbane second innings, tbf. They still had to bat out those three hours to secure the draw.

And it's 2524/89 anyway. ;)

Back
Top Bottom