Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

I always feel a bit sorry for the players who haven't had a game having to stand in all the celebration photos.

I don't think sympathy's the word. They've been part of it, played the tour games, bowled in the nets, fielded, participated in the team spirit. Of course they wanted to play but they were very much part of the effort.

I do feel sorry for Stuart Broad though

I do have some sympathy for Clarke here. He's only in charge for this one Test (at the moment) but he's got to face the questions about the state of Australian cricket etc. Surely Ponting should be fielding some of these questions?

Right, I'm calling it a night. Enjoy everyone, we'll dissect the series tomorrow.

Smile, the sun's shining on English cricket. Choose your worst 90s memory - it doesn't hurt quite so much any more does it?

Marvellous :cool:

As someone that knows almost nothing about cricket (outside the normal tabloid stuff) I would love to congratulate England on their (our) success.

I have watched more cricket this series than ever before and I must admit I have enjoyed more than any match I have had the fortune/mis-fortune to see.

Well done boys and have a beer or 10 for me!!

Amongst the joy, I feel a touch of melancholy this morning for the knowledge that it will almost certainly never again be this good. This is as good as it gets.

it starts next month and carries on for about three years

Innit. I know it's almost a different game but I'd like to see the following.....

A Twenty20 tournament with virtually all the nations that want to play. Then use that as a qualifier for the 50 over world cup, say using the top 8 teams. Then, in turn using the World Cup as a qualifier for a test 'world cup' taking the top 4 teams.

I know you'd get anomolies like we have in the footie (with shit teams getting further than they ought) but it would generally set the men from the boys and give some coherence that world cricket is missing.

Plus it'd be fucking awesome. :cool:

I'm very sceptical about all these Test championship ideas, but the one ray of hope in it is that it might encourage less flat surfaces that create tedious five-day batting practice matches.

I do have some sympathy for Clarke here. He's only in charge for this one Test (at the moment) but he's got to face the questions about the state of Australian cricket etc. Surely Ponting should be fielding some of these questions?
wtf was ponting??? :confused: commentators made the point that its traditional for the losing captain to hand over the urn yet they gave that duty to vaughan.

very very enjoyable that, i'm glad to see an england side with a steely-eyed professionalism for a change and how good does it feel to thrash them ragged? ::D

Well you have to say well played England, I never thought I'd live to see the aussies utterly humiliated in their own back yard.

The response of the aussie media has also been priceless, apparently this team which is essentially the same team that pushed England close in 09 are now the worst 11 ever, nothing to do with England being very strong in every department.

After the olympics, and the peanut huggers stuffing them at Twickenham recently this has just topped the total dominance we have over aussie sport.

I'm very sceptical about all these Test championship ideas, but the one ray of hope in it is that it might encourage less flat surfaces that create tedious five-day batting practice matches.

Something needs to be done though. The test series' were designed when there wasn't the fast transport we have today.

With the emergence of Twenty20 I feel we need some direct relation between the variations.

Otherwise we may weaken the sport overall.

It'd be possible to have a 4 year cycle.

First year play Twenty20, the second 50 overs then the 3rd the grand test finale.

With a year off.

It is true that England have basically won in English conditions, losing the test in the one place not affected by the wet summer.

None of the pitches they played on were exceptional for those grounds.

I haven't read any British press reports - I'm having too much fun reading the Australian papers :D

579371-bbq-splash.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom