Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Kind of weird that the right-wing press is still going in hard against Labour, would have thought at least the Murdoch empire would have seen the wind change direction like in 1997 and started trying to win favours from the incoming administration. It’s not like they’re going to be threatened with nationalisation or anything following the wet lettuce getting power. (Telegraph obvs stays loyal in any circumstance).

Kind of weird that the right-wing press is still going in hard against Labour, would have thought at least the Murdoch empire would have seen the wind change direction like in 1997 and started trying to win favours from the incoming administration. It’s not like they’re going to be threatened with nationalisation or anything following the wet lettuce getting power. (Telegraph obvs stays loyal in any circumstance).

No guarantees from Starmer that he won’t push for Leveson Two - investigation into links between journalism and the police. That was News UK’s price, and it has not been met.

JFF and I'm not here to argue the 'methodology', but i thought some might like this attempt at mapping the spatial extent of areas with a plurality of cuntitude. Anyone here living in the benighted blue zones?

View attachment 426720

View attachment 426721
Medway, Sheppey, Essex I understand all too well.
New Forest /Salisbury zone, slightly surprised its that different from other areas like the costwolds or whatnot.
But the East coast Yorkshire/ Lincolnshire spine does surprise me - not areas I really know...Farmers in Lincolnshire I guess... I had a different impression of Yorkshire ...maybe its outdated.

New Forest /Salisbury zone, slightly surprised its that different from other areas like the costwolds or whatnot.
But the East coast Yorkshire/ Lincolnshire spine does surprise me - not areas I really know...Farmers in Lincolnshire I guess... I had a different impression of Yorkshire ...maybe its outdated.
Much of the Yorkshire part is heavily rural north Yorkshire seats including the one Sunak holds. East and North Yorkshire is a completely different world to the west and south. To be honest I'm surprised it's not a larger area of blue.

Me - Wyre Forest.

Not sure about the maths of that. The main town is Kidderminster - very brexity, as is the next town, Stourport on Severn. Both have significant deprivation in the style of many towns: 50 years ago. kiddy had 52 different carpet factories and pretty much full employment. I think there are two left, and the town centre is on its arse.

Yes, it has a Tory MP with a 20k majority - but it's electorate is more interesting than that: it was Tory through the ages, but went Labour in 1945 and 1997. Labour then lost the seat in 2001 to a local independent who was campaigning on the issue of the local hospital - and yes, the other parties stood aside iirc. Turnout in that election was much higher than national average

The indy held it for two terms, and it went Tory in 2010. The majority has been getting bigger each election although he's a useless bugger.

Survation think that the majority will drop down to a few hundred.

I'm figuring that the blue arc around the wash indicates largely rural/agricultural areas that were always deferential tory voting areas that saw big shifts towards 'Reform's' predecessor parties as concerns over migrants from the accession states were exploited.

JFF and I'm not here to argue the 'methodology', but i thought some might like this attempt at mapping the spatial extent of areas with a plurality of cuntitude. Anyone here living in the benighted blue zones?

View attachment 426720

View attachment 426721
Map fail. Labour is currently right of centre so I'm not sure who the yellow votes are for. And why is Burnley a black spot?

I suppose a more semi-serious attempt at looking at this 'right-of-centre/left-of-centre' spatial pattern might involve looking at the 2016 Leave map:

1717144938717.png

Obviously a strong correlation with some areas like Thames estuary/Essex, East Coast, Lincolnshire & the Wash, parts of the West Midlands, but other of the 'blue' areas on the left don't correlate so well. Hampshire/Dorset, Wiltshire & North Yorkshire just seem to be rank tory areas.

Fancy that; a party with local associations running long-listing, short-listing and selection meetings to choose PPCs.
Didnt help that he said he hated Tunbridge Wells and would move away if he could, on a podcast and receipts were kept.

Basic idiocy really.

Back
Top Bottom