Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

If Labour hadn't shafted Faiza Shaheen she would pretty clearly have beaten IDS.

She was absolutely right to stand as an independent though.
I gave zero shits about whether Corbyn won or lost, but my heart breaks for Faiza and if there was one independent I wanted to win against Labour incumbents, it was her. She got treated so shabbily and Labour have got no-one to blame but themselves for losing that seat.

But that is true of the overwhelming majority of seats in the country, there are very few seats where anyone got over 50% (Corbyn coming close to being an exception to even running against Labour)

Sure and is a feature of fptp, whilst PR has many failings too, still is a bit urgh though, has taken some shine off the night for me.

Didn't follow overnight, so apologies if this has been covered, but East Anglia looking rather 'patchwork', with quite the party spread among neighbouring constituencies.

View attachment 432014

I was in Suffolk coastal recently; the 'we want Coffey to go' posters (intentional pun, I might have gone for iced or ground) seemed forlorn and a bit of a desperate measure. But over the line nonethless. But yeah, it is weird seeing East Anglia like that.

Initial thoughts... Going to be interesting to parse out how Reform affected the overall vote. A lot it seems. Certainly in East Anglia, also in some of the seats just north of London (Herts, Harlow). It is not going to be easy for Starmer to hold on to many of those places, though obviously dependant on what reform actually do in 5 years time. Here in Sheffield Central impressive showing for the greens, 26% of the vote (up 15%). I'd like to take hope from that, from the various independents who've won or put in very strong competition... But nah, I suspect Starmer will learn that damage in places like Shef C is always going to be limited, and will probably assume that the protest inds can be swung in time.

Whenever notorious cunts (cabinet ministers, loudmouth backbenchers etc) get voted out, there's always a worry that they could get parachuted back in to parliament at the next convenient by-election, but the sheer scale of the number of wankers who have just been voted out means we're unlikely to see many of them ever again. Something to be chirpy about this morning.

In the next door constituency, Refuk took enough votes away from the tories that libdems got in and long-standing useless twat Ian Liddell-Grainger is gone.

Thank you Nigel for splitting the right

This is good news, when I lived down that way, Bridgwater remained Tory, even when Taunton was won by the LDs.

Back
Top Bottom