Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

I'm with danny la rouge and aiming for Audrey Hepburn. :oops:

(Can we change this to a 'who'd play you in a film of your life' thread? Way more interesting and relevant than a GE thread...)
Have I ever mentioned the time that a stranger heckled/catcalled me with "Timothee Chalamet-looking boy!" Well, it was either aimed at me or someone just behind me, I'm choosing to take it anyway.
I see 'Common Sense Minister' is at this tired, withered old chestnut again

View attachment 414966
I've never actually read Gramsci, but I just about know enough about Gramsci to be furious at that headline referring to McVey as the "Good Sense minister".

It's not so much the tax take I object to as how they intend to distribute monies raised
Agree with the sentiment, but when we're faced with administrations intent on regressively transferring tax burden from capital to labour, the highest ever tax take as a % of GDP since 1948 is an issue.

My new constituency is more urban, more working class. Should I vote Labour, should I vote LibDem? Should I bother?

My new constituency is more urban, more working class. Should I vote Labour, should I vote LibDem? Should I bother?

maybe

:p

more seriously, this has predictions for each (new) constituency seat.

up to you really - depends whether you want to vote for the non-tory most likely to win, even if there's an element of holding your nose in doing so, or to register protest against one party even if that might help the tory.

as i've said before, there isn't a good answer. at national level, we will either get an increasingly far-right conservative party tory government, or an increasingly tory flavoured labour government (with outside chances of a coalition either way.)

voting for starmer's labour party will convince starmer and the party machine that they have done the right thing in moving more right, not voting for starmer's labour party will convince the party machine that they need to move even further right either with starmer or someone worse.

blargh.

ETA - the above site lists my local constituency as 'tribe - kind yuppies'

:hmm:

Last edited:
Oooooh Thanks Puddy T, VERY interesting link that. Well looks like it is worth voting Labour then, butnobvs as you say, big peg - and Starmer will wanna move right anyway.

Only way forward is PR imvho. And a workers revolution of course.

I suppose I mean keep existing, don’t wish they would break strikes though, I don’t think me voting for them is an endorsement particularly.

I find it curious that on the one hand you repeatedly attack and criticize those of us who voted to Leave the EU for the consequences of the Conservative government's fuck up of much about the way Britain has left the EU, and yet you claim that your voting for the Green Party isn't an endorsement of the policies they have put in place where they have got into power.

maybe

:p

more seriously, this has predictions for each (new) constituency seat.

up to you really - depends whether you want to vote for the non-tory most likely to win, even if there's an element of holding your nose in doing so, or to register protest against one party even if that might help the tory.

as i've said before, there isn't a good answer. at national level, we will either get an increasingly far-right conservative party tory government, or an increasingly tory flavoured labour government (with outside chances of a coalition either way.)

voting for starmer's labour party will convince starmer and the party machine that they have done the right thing in moving more right, not voting for starmer's labour party will convince the party machine that they need to move even further right either with starmer or someone worse.

blargh.

ETA - the above site lists my local constituency as 'tribe - kind yuppies'

:hmm:
Apparently the People's Republic of (central) Hackney is alive and kicking, vive le revolucion ...

1709829589596.png

Apparently the People's Republic of (central) Hackney is alive and kicking, vive le revolucion ...

View attachment 415102
Bit rubbish the electoral calculus thing. Predicting a Labour win in Hackney North and Stoke Newington. AFAIA, Diane Abbott will be standing again but presumably as an independent, given she's still suspended from Labour. 🤷‍♀️

Presumably Labour win by landslide, Greens second then LD or Tories 3rd.

dunno really. in 2022, (mayoral election) greens were second, tories 3rd, LD 4th.

At council level, the LD's had a minor surge in 2006 (which led to a minority labour administration for 4 years) a smaller presence in 2010, then they got wiped out in 2014.

now mayoral elections have been changed to FPTP (not that that was a deliberate move to favour the tories, of course...) there may be less of people voting green or lib dem with labour second choice to make it less likely the tory gets in.

there may be protest votes against labour over gaza - the WPB / people before profit candidate and one of the independents have both made this part of their campaign, and there's the element of criticising labour for letting the incumbent mayor bugger off and become an MP leading to the cost of this by-election - both these two are also proposing to abolish the directly elected mayor system if they get in.

not sure there's enough tory voters left in lewisham to make much of a difference even if the anti tory vote is split, though.

Bit rubbish the electoral calculus thing. Predicting a Labour win in Hackney North and Stoke Newington. AFAIA, Diane Abbott will be standing again but presumably as an independent, given she's still suspended from Labour. 🤷‍♀️
"Chance of winning" is a meaningless term, anyway.

dunno really. in 2022, (mayoral election) greens were second, tories 3rd, LD 4th.

At council level, the LD's had a minor surge in 2006 (which led to a minority labour administration for 4 years) a smaller presence in 2010, then they got wiped out in 2014.

now mayoral elections have been changed to FPTP (not that that was a deliberate move to favour the tories, of course...) there may be less of people voting green or lib dem with labour second choice to make it less likely the tory gets in.

there may be protest votes against labour over gaza - the WPB / people before profit candidate and one of the independents have both made this part of their campaign, and there's the element of criticising labour for letting the incumbent mayor bugger off and become an MP leading to the cost of this by-election - both these two are also proposing to abolish the directly elected mayor system if they get in.

not sure there's enough tory voters left in lewisham to make much of a difference even if the anti tory vote is split, though.

Would not surprise me to see Labour vote go down due to fptp in Mayorals

I find it curious that on the one hand you repeatedly attack and criticize those of us who voted to Leave the EU for the consequences of the Conservative government's fuck up of much about the way Britain has left the EU, and yet you claim that your voting for the Green Party isn't an endorsement of the policies they have put in place where they have got into power.
Go ahead and attack and criticise me then for the consequences of my vote. Easier than suggesting a solution for the land border you voted for. The border would exist any way your leave vote is implemented, how would that be different under any national government?

I didn't think she'd confirmed anything about running. Have I missed that, or just rumours at this point?

I didn't think she'd confirmed anything about running. Have I missed that, or just rumours at this point?
I don't exactly have my finger on the Labour/Abbott pulse but unless she wants to retire, can't see why she wouldn't stand again. (She's also noticeably more present than she's been for some time in that way MPs are when there's a GE coming up.)

Back
Top Bottom