Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Have I ever mentioned the time that a stranger heckled/catcalled me with "Timothee Chalamet-looking boy!" Well, it was either aimed at me or someone just behind me, I'm choosing to take it anyway
Maybe not though...in my grand-daughter's (12) considered opinion, Timofeeee looks like a meercat

apols for sullying important political thread with vacuous drivel

I find it curious that on the one hand you repeatedly attack and criticize those of us who voted to Leave the EU for the consequences of the Conservative government's fuck up of much about the way Britain has left the EU, and yet you claim that your voting for the Green Party isn't an endorsement of the policies they have put in place where they have got into power.
You're right but he's hardly alone in this ludicrous hypocrisy - either on here or more widely.

The number of people who insist that anyone voting for X is endorsing every element of the party, while their vote for Y is somehow only an endorsement of the good parts, they can't be held responsible for the other stuff is crazy.

Theresa May has said she's not standing at the GE.

Announced it this morning via her local paper, the Maidenhead Advertiser.

Absolute stonking majority, but from what I've heard, a lot of that was as much for her as for any donkey with a blue rosette, so I wonder if Maidenhead has suddenly become a seat worth having a serious punt at for Lab or the LD's - anyone have any local insight?

Theresa May has said she's not standing at the GE.

Announced it this morning via her local paper, the Maidenhead Advertiser.

Absolute stonking majority, but from what I've heard, a lot of that was as much for her as for any donkey with a blue rosette, so I wonder if Maidenhead has suddenly become a seat worth having a serious punt at for Lab or the LD's - anyone have any local insight?
Yeah, the LibDems were pushing really hard even before Mrs. May's resignation. The Tories lost control of the council to the LibDems, in a quite a spectacular defeat, and the local politics groups seem tired of the Tory party in general, so i think the LibDems feel this is the biggest chance they'll get.

Theresa May was a popular MP for the area so it'll be interesting to see who the candidate is.

There are some 'stick your heads in the sand always a Tory' voters around here but I reckon this is the best chance the LibDems have to take the seat.

I wasn't considering a tactical vote for the LibDems but I am now.

Go ahead and attack and criticise me then for the consequences of my vote. Easier than suggesting a solution for the land border you voted for. The border would exist any way your leave vote is implemented, how would that be different under any national government?
Not sure how familiar you are with Irish history, but the border existed long before the vote to Leave to EU.

if you're looking for someone to blame you need to go back a bit further than that.

I didn't think she'd confirmed anything about running. Have I missed that, or just rumours at this point?
Neither Abbott or Corbyn have confirmed they would run as independents against an official Labour candidate, which would see them slung out of the party.

Does anyone know if alternative candidates have been chosen in their respective constituencies? I don't remember hearing about it if so.

Neither Abbott or Corbyn have confirmed they would run as independents against an official Labour candidate, which would see them slung out of the party.

Does anyone know if alternative candidates have been chosen in their respective constituencies? I don't remember hearing about it if so.

I'd imagine that both sides in this are simply circling the other - Labour doesn't want to select other candidates because that will set off the activists, the two MP's don't want to declare that they'll stand as independents because they'll get kicked out.

Both sides will just kick it down the road as far as they can - I reckon that Lab will only select candidates once the GE is called, and they'll hope that the activists will decide that the GE is a bigger fish to fry than Corbyn and Abbott. They'll also simply be a lot more going on for the media to cover. If they do it now it'll be the top story, if they do it when the GE is announced it'll be 'and finally...'.

I'd imagine that both sides in this are simply circling the other - Labour doesn't want to select other candidates because that will set off the activists, the two MP's don't want to declare that they'll stand as independents because they'll get kicked out.

Both sides will just kick it down the road as far as they can - I reckon that Lab will only select candidates once the GE is called, and they'll hope that the activists will decide that the GE is a bigger fish to fry than Corbyn and Abbott. They'll also simply be a lot more going on for the media to cover. If they do it now it'll be the top story, if they do it when the GE is announced it'll be 'and finally...'.
You're probably right about all of that.

I certainly wouldn't expect either Corbyn or Abbott to be announcing anything until the election is actually announced.

Not sure how familiar you are with Irish history, but the border existed long before the vote to Leave to EU.

if you're looking for someone to blame you need to go back a bit further than that.
The UK and the Republic joined the EU and its previous iteration at the same time. The Good Friday Agreement led towards the cessation of the border being a practical issue and an end to the violence that caused thousands of deaths and injuries.
Your vote to leave was a vote to fuck that up.

Presumably Labour win by landslide, Greens second then LD or Tories 3rd.

Which faction does the Labour candidate represent?

As expected Labour wins easily, then Greens a poor 2nd, LDs a poor third and Local Conservatives a poor fourth, with what I assume is a Galloway mob a poor fifth and the Christian People's alliance the last party, then an independent in last place

My god. I’ve had philosophical on ignore so long that I forgot he existed. Then signs of his existence pop up in quotes on this thread, so I decide to take a look in the spirit of amnesty. And I find he’s still arguing about the same thing that caused me to put him on ignore five years ago! Good grief. Does he still also think that Brexit will never actually happen because of it’s administrative impossibility?

philosophical - keep fighting the good fight, comrade. Brexit remains a logical absurdity, and all factors other than the rapidly diminishing froth of Westminster politics will push us inexorably to trading standards realignment with our neighbours.

Back to Theresa May, Jess Phillips is calling her choice of the Maidenhead Advertiser for this announcement “classy”. I get the point, and going to the Hymen Gazette rather than to Twitter is definitely a laudable signal to her constituents.

But I don’t think that any Labour MP should be using “classy” as a term of approbation. It feels very off, and I’m often confused to see it here as well. Or am I completely misunderstanding the etymology?

As expected Labour wins easily, then Greens a poor 2nd, LDs a poor third and Local Conservatives a poor fourth, with what I assume is a Galloway mob a poor fifth and the Christian People's alliance the last party, then an independent in last place
Maureen of the Christian group always stands, she is at every Lewisham East Parliamentary hustings I’ve ever been to over the years, and I think she got loads more votes in the Mayoral election than she has ever got in the General Elections.

All current British politics is essentially about Brexit, unfortunately. That’s their fault too.
There is a thread for those concerned about the passport queues and availability of cheap labour to exploit

This thread is about the next GE, not fucking Brexit.
True, and there are plenty of other, dedicated threads. However, some factions of the incumbent administration responsible for the Leave debacle are already using their client press to exploit the great Brexit 'success' as an attempted wedge (GE) issue. I think Silas Loom is correct; it will not be possible to isolate the 'B' word from the 2024 election.

Today's Express front page (as posted in the most popular Brexit thread):

1709890317486.png

Better to jump rather than be pushed

I am surprised my MP, Peter Bottomley, hasn't announced he's standing down [yet], he's been an MP since 1975, for West Worthing since 1997, is currently 'Father of the House', and under high risk for losing an election for the first time in his life, so it would seem logical to step down.

It’s not Brexit itself that philosophical is obsessed with so much as his own cognitive dissonance. He was insistent from day 1 that Brexit would be impossible because Ireland and I see that all these years later, he’s still insisting that he was right in face of all hard reality. His resolution to this dissonance follows the classic pattern that Festinger laid down back in 1957 — rationalisation. In his case this is involving holding that what has happened isn’t actually Brexit. Which will come as a shock to the millions of people who are now having to engage in large amounts of extra bureaucracy in order to trade with or live in Europe.

The UK and the Republic joined the EU and its previous iteration at the same time. The Good Friday Agreement led towards the cessation of the border being a practical issue and an end to the violence that caused thousands of deaths and injuries.
Your vote to leave was a vote to fuck that up.
In that case, your vote for the Greens is a vote for everything the Greens have done and ever will do if they get into power.

You. can't have it both ways.

In that case, your vote for the Greens is a vote for everything the Greens have done and ever will do if they get into power.

You. can't have it both ways.
I too think it is unreasonable to suggest that those who voted for Brexit voted for everything that is involved in Brexiting. Clearly we can't assume that just because they voted for Brexit, they voted for all aspects of Brexiting, for example the bit of Brexiting that involves doing Brexit.

Back
Top Bottom