Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Just this morning had first leaflet - for tory. The labour prospective has been on NextDoor a couple of times plus supporters slagging off the tories. Funnily enough tories haven't started any threads there where their claims could be examined coolly and rationally :) :confused:

Mum's had the Labour candidates round, think address will be on their list as they've had a massive banner up before when Dave Drew was candidate. House is on a road that's become a busy rat run.

Only had LD so far. Not sure the Tory Head Office are even going to bother, given the 600 vote margin they took the area with. I've never even seen the Labour candidate, or any promotional material. They seem happy to let the LDs take this one. At least the Tory newbie (He's awfully young as well as new) shows up on the High Street and makes an effort to keep his job. I mean, he won't, but kudos for the effort.

What's the current Tory majority where you are?

It's a new seat, the old one was 32,191 to Hunt, 23,374 to Lib Dems. The new seat does not include quite-a-bit-posher-than-us Haslemere nor also posher than us Farnham.

Amazed Hunt isn't stepping down, even if he keeps the seat he's be in opposition, most likely for the next 10 years at least, he's gone as far as he can go and a seat in the Lords awaits, but then he is a bit of an all-round twat.

Last edited:
Also had a leaftlet not from any party but an org that just wants the Tories out, telling you that yellow is the colour here and instructions on how to register and vote etc. Thought it might be one of those sly ones that the Lib Dems put out, but seems they are genuinely not affiliated to any party, just hate the vermin.

It's a new seat, the old one was 32,191 to Hunt, 23,374 to Lib Dems. The new seat does not include quite-a-bit-posher than us Haslemere nor also posher than us Farnham.

Amazed Hunt isn't stepping down, even if he keeps the seat he's be in opposition, most likely for the next 10 years at least, he's gone as far as he can go and a seat in the Lords, but then he is a bit of an all-round twat.

Seeing Hunt being thrown out is a moment I am looking forward to on election night, he's no chance with that majority and the boundary changes you mention.

Here in Worthing West, Sir Peter Bottomley, father of the house, has a majority of 15,004, and likewise some of the more posh parts of the constituency have been been taken out, and it's sure to go to Labour.

I honestly don't know why he's standing, he's been an MP since 1975, and is 80 now, logically he should have stepped down, rather than face defeat for the first time. 🤷‍♂️

Seeing Hunt being thrown out is a moment I am looking forward to on election night, he's no chance with that majority and the boundary changes you mention.

Here in Worthing West, Sir Peter Bottomley, father of the house, has a majority of 15,004, and likewise some of the more posh parts of the constituency have been been taken out, and it's sure to go to Labour.

I honestly don't know why he's standing, he's been an MP since 1975, and is 80 now, logically he should have stepped down, rather than face defeat for the first time. 🤷‍♂️
If you get voted out you’re entitled to a near tax free Loss of Office payment based on the number of years you’ve been an MP. He’ll get the maximum of more than £30k

If you get voted out you’re entitled to a near tax free Loss of Office payment based on the number of years you’ve been an MP. He’ll get the maximum of more than £30k

I know, but that's a drop in the ocean to him, whilst that may have had a small part in his decision, I suspect it's more down to him thinking he can actually win, otherwise he wouldn't be out wasting his time on canvassing.

Bottomless changed constituency last time he was threatened with eviction from the Big House. He was MP for Eltham, which not particularly near Worthing until 1997. This time there is no where to run to.

Had a leaflet from the soon-to-be jobless Tory guy that barely mentioned the Conservative party and looked a bit like a brochure for a Saga holiday.

A couple from the Lib Dem guy that were big on how bad second home ownership is for Cornwall. There are even Tories who agree on that down here so that was a good angle to go in at. He does work in housing, too, so he's on to a sure thing with that. Also mentioned that Labour stand no chance here (totally correct) and if you want rid of the Tories, he's your best bet. Ironically, if we had proportional representation, I expect a Labour vote would carry more weight but he didn't mention that, funnily enough.

Have seen a few LD posters up. He's going to walk it tbf.

St Ives?

Bottomless changed constituency last time he was threatened with eviction from the Big House. He was MP for Eltham, which not particularly near Worthing until 1997. This time there is no where to run to.

He left Eltham due to boundary changes, now he'll be leaving Worthing West, partly due to boundary changes. :D

I've had Matt Rodda round my house. He was pretty decent, understood my concerns, told me to wait for the manifesto as there would be some more left/real labour policies in it. Then we had a little chat about unions and that was it. He is a good MP generally so I think he will get my vote. He's a shoe in anyway so it probably doesn't matter much.

I've had a lot of flyers too. Can you guess which party this one is for?:

1000017061.jpg

I've had Matt Rodda round my house. He was pretty decent, understood my concerns, told me to wait for the manifesto as there would be some more left/real labour policies in it. Then we had a little chat about unions and that was it. He is a good MP generally so I think he will get my vote. He's a shoe in anyway so it probably doesn't matter much.

I've had a lot of flyers too. Can you guess which party this one is for?:

View attachment 429233

Vermin

I think I read somewhere that the Tories are a bit hard up, with a much lower budget this election. I believe a number of their large donors, other than racist cunt Hester, have deserted them, possibly waiting to see what the post-Sunak party looks like.

I think I read somewhere that the Tories are a bit hard up, with a much lower budget this election. I believe a number of their large donors, other than racist cunt Hester, have deserted them, possibly waiting to see what the post-Sunak party looks like.
I think that's right; Ive seen some social media commentators saying that the vermin are being out-spent by the LP. Add in their completely collapsed 'ground-war' and no wonder we're witnessing historic polling.

Based on local projections from Electoral Calculus, Mr Farage is now the frontrunner with 39 per cent of the vote, ahead of Labour in a surprise second place with 27.6 per cent, and the Tories in third on 25.3 per cent.
The poll led Clacton Labour to post on social media: “Latest Electoral Calculus polls for Clacton show that Jovan [Owusu-Nepaul] is the ONLY vote to stop Farage and bring CHANGE to Clacton! ”

Back
Top Bottom