Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

I'd thought there were still (primarily) women inside for things like tv licence 'evasion', and non-violent cannabis convictions

Attempts to ease prison over crowding by increasing capacity normally end up with over crowding in the expanded capacity. I'm not against custodial sentences however the poor record of investment in prevention, rehabilitation and reducing offending just makes custodial sentences more inevitable.

Attempts to ease prison over crowding by increasing capacity normally end up with over crowding in the expanded capacity. I'm not against custodial sentences however the poor record of investment in prevention, rehabilitation and reducing offending just makes custodial sentences more inevitable.
It's like the A30 into Cornwall. They keep expanding the bloody road which just shifts the traffic jams further down. I was told the latest lane expansion is costing £330 million. There seems to be plenty of cash for road 'improvements' (and prison expansions) but fuck all for anything else.

In my constituency we have the usual suspects, including the WPB who, I think, is at least a local railway worker of some sort. But we also have the "Women's Equality Party" which I'd never heard of, was set up partly by Sandi Toksvig, and from their site doesn't appear to be standing many candidates at all? So why here in this backwater I have no idea.

The future is uncertain but the end is always near

View attachment 428132
Labour will have to do something with their remaining political opponents, and there is precedence The US Democrats are trying to do it, and if they fail Trump definitely will. It's the way the British have always worked in Ireland and and other colonies; and it's the norm in Russia, Ukraine, Italy, China, Hong Kong, Spain, Turkey, India and Saudi Arabia.

A few interesting candidates here in Newcastle East & Wallsend, a choice of 9 in total which I think is the most I've ever had an a ballot paper.

In addition to Greens, Labour, Lib Dems, Tories and Reform we have Workers Party of Britain, Communist Party of Britain, Social Democrat Party (who are Strasserite or something now? Wtf) and Party of Women which is apparently a TERF split from Women's Equality Party.

Labour will have to do something with their remaining political opponents, and there is precedence The US Democrats are trying to do it, and if they fail Trump definitely will. It's the way the British have always worked in Ireland and and other colonies; and it's the norm in Russia, Ukraine, Italy, China, Hong Kong, Spain, Turkey, India and Saudi Arabia.
I don't think we are that banana...what I yhink will happen though is the prisons ain't going to be built in labour constituences

I love the sweet smell of desperation
the last one on the list - does it mean what I think it means? eliminate all recognition of & protection from sex- and race-based discrimination ?
The commitments are leaving the European Court of Human Rights, repealing the Human Rights Act, banning all forms of gender reassignment for children and reforming the Equality Act to eliminate sex- and race-based discrimination.

In more 'Tories throwing the election' giggles....

Tory candidate slags off Labour candidate for 'being in France' implicitly saying he's on holiday while the Tories are walking the streets and telling lies about interactions with voters.

Turns out the Labour candidate is an ex-Para who's in Normandy doing a parachute jump for service charities as part of the D-Day commemorations.

It's a thing of incredible beauty - imagine reading the papers for the last few days, and thinking 'i know, I've a superb idea for a tweet...'.

Just magnificent.

688f6d6d-f375-4afb-a9b6-ee1b93f007b9.jpg

Cross post from the transphobia thread but Kemi Badenoch admitting the only reason the youth trans healthcare bans are in are down to her and the Minister in health being anti-trans ideologues seems like it deserves some notice.

By the way, what happened in Scotland was legislation that is in effect in Ireland, NZ and about ten other countries which has no effect on women's rights.

Like, it's useful she's said this out loud, because it undermines any pretence there was fairness in how Cass was commissioned or the Ministry of Health immediately started shutting down trans youth health options.

Tory candidate slags off Labour candidate for 'being in France' implicitly saying he's on holiday while the Tories are walking the streets and telling lies about interactions with voters.

Turns out the Labour candidate is an ex-Para who's in Normandy doing a parachute jump for service charities as part of the D-Day commemorations.

It's a thing of incredible beauty - imagine reading the papers for the last few days, and thinking 'i know, I've a superb idea for a tweet...'.

Just magnificent.

This (Dan Nelson) is the same guy who thinks the users of Foodbanks should be vetted so getting free food doesn't undermine local businesses

I met Neil Kinnock when aged about 8 in a local Labour Club. I was wearing a red shirt and he enthusiastically told me about Garibaldi. He genuinely took the time to connect with people that day and seemed a nice guy. While I despise his career trajectory I find it hard to loathe him as much as many others on the labour right.

Just magnificent.

Apparently Nelson is also an ex Para so of all people

Just magnificent.

Cllr Nelson's tweet was from Saturday....The PM was back and playing splat the rat by then...

Back
Top Bottom