Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sword attack in Hainault, London. 30 April 2024

I couldn’t see a thread so apologies if this is old news. Happened this morning in Hainault

Just as the Tuesday morning rush hour and school run got under way, the quiet residential streets of a north-east London suburb were overtaken by panic and screams.
In the space of less than half an hour in Hainault, a 14-year-old boy and four other people were attacked.
A few hours later, police confirmed the child had died of his injuries.
Witnesses captured footage of a man prowling the streets brandishing a samurai-style sword, as residents were warned to lock their doors.
Police have described the incident as "truly horrific" and are still piecing together how and why this attack unfolded.

Teenager Killed in London Sword Attack, Police Say​

A 14-year-old boy was killed and several others were hospitalized in a stabbing spree in northeast London, the police said. A 36-year-old man was arrested.​

April 30, 2024Updated 1:17 p.m. ET
Forensics officers, in blue coveralls, masks and hairnets, stand with two London police officers in yellow reflective jackets at a crime scene. They are standing behind police tape that says “Police Line Do Not Cross.”

A 14-year-old boy was killed and four others, including two police officers, were injured when a man with a sword went on a stabbing rampage in northeast London on Tuesday morning, the authorities said.Jordan Pettitt/Press Association, via Associated Press
A teenager was killed and four others, including two police officers, were hospitalized after a man with a sword went on a stabbing rampage in northeast London early Tuesday morning, the authorities said.
A 14-year-old boy died after being taken to a hospital, Stuart Bell, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police, said at a news conference on Tuesday afternoon. (The police initially said the child was 13 before later correcting his age.)
Four others were injured, Mr. Bell said, including two police officers. All four remain hospitalized, he said, and some sustained significant injuries.
Just before 7 a.m., the police received reports of a vehicle being driven into a house and several people being stabbed in Hainault, a neighborhood in northeast London, according to a statement from the Metropolitan Police.
Video footage of the attack circulating on social media showed a man wearing a yellow sweatshirt wielding a large sword outside a row of houses on a residential street.
The man, whose name has not been released, went on to attack more members of the public and two police officers, the police said. A suspect, a 36-year-old man, was arrested at the scene, the authorities said.
The episode did not appear to be linked to terrorism, the police added, and there was no ongoing threat to the public.
The suspect was also hospitalized for injuries he sustained when the van struck the building, Assistant Commissioner Louisa Rolfe of the Metropolitan Police said in a follow-up briefing. “Given his injuries, we have been unable interview him.”
An initial review found “no trace” of the man having previous contact with the authorities, she said, adding that the investigation was ongoing.
“We are trying to understand exactly what happened and why,” she said, adding that it would take time to establish the facts. “This is an incident which has clearly shocked everyone.”
Mayor Sadiq Khan of London said in a statement that he was devastated over the news and that additional patrols would be added to the area.
“The police officers and emergency services showed the best of our city — running toward danger to protect others and I thank them from the bottom of my heart,” he said.
The emergency response “stopped further tragedy from occurring,” said Jas Athwal, a member for the local council. “It’s through their quick thinking that they have managed to salvage something from today.”
“We’re a strong knit community,” he added. “We will be there for our residents, our neighbors, as this goes into the future.”
James Cleverly, Britain’s home secretary, said on social media that he was receiving regular updates about the attack. He urged people not to speculate or share footage of the episode online.
Knife crime has been on the rise across England and Wales for about a decade, according to the Office for National Statistics. Knife crime recorded by the police in the year ending September 2023 increased by 5 percent, to nearly 49,000 offenses, compared with the previous year, the data showed, although it was lower than in 2020.

I guess it’s a suburb really. I know nothing about Hainault or what goes on there.

Weird innit, I always think of Hainault as being out there way past East London

Yeah, it's not north east London, it's east. I've noticed a lot of articles recently that assume North of the river = North London.

Not that it's the main point, of course, but there's not a lot else to say, really, except how sad it is for that boy.

Er, speaking as someone who goes near Hainault regularly, it is definitely north east London. Google maps says so too. Because it is.

Horrible incident wherever it is.

Yeah, it's not north east London, it's east. I've noticed a lot of articles recently that assume North of the river = North London.

Not that it's the main point, of course, but there's not a lot else to say, really, except how sad it is for that boy.

Title edited.

I was wondering if it was anywhere near the TFL depot where I've worked occasionally over the last 30 years. And its the little road that the depot entrance comes off. Literally the only bit of Hainault I know. shit!!

Er, speaking as someone who goes near Hainault regularly, it is definitely north east London. Google maps says so too. Because it is.

Horrible incident wherever it is.

It really isn't though. Google maps is really not reliable for this sort of thing - it says I live in Poplar, which is a mile away.

Urban addressing the real issues, as ever.

Go to bed.

I have just heard the police give an er, interesting statement. They can't interview him because of "injuries sustained in the crash". After which he murders a kid, injures two others, is seen stalking the streets, leaping over fences, stabs another couple of cops and is rightly fucking tasered. But Occam's razor and all that.

Is the suggestion this was targeted where he crashed his vehicle or was he just on a rampage? Thought the report I read suggested the former but was vague. We'll hear in due course, I suppose. Horrendous.

Wonder if any of the usual X muppets were jumping to conclusions or whether they kept quiet after getting burnt over the Australia stabbings.

How horrible and for as much as the police get stick, it's times like this that you can see there are some really brave individuals that will put themselves on the line for public safety

Any other country, except perhaps New Zealand, the first copper on scene would have shot him. Here they got stuck in with a bit of metal fishing rod, some pepper in a tin and a tems machine with wires and the subject gets to go to hospital rather than the mortuary.

Still ACAB and that….

Any other country, except perhaps New Zealand, the first copper on scene would have shot him. Here they got stuck in with a bit of metal fishing rod, some pepper in a tin and a tems machine with wires and the subject gets to go to hospital rather than the mortuary.

Still ACAB and that….
Good. I'm glad the cunt is arrested and not dead. Keep gun out of the hands of regular police imo. Don't know if that's what you meant?

With the government we've got, arming the police is the last thing we should be advocating.

I have to disagree. When bastards like this don't have the decency to kill themselves, I'm quite happy for the job to be outsourced to armed police officers.
It's too easy for them though. Probably wanted to die anyway, don't give em what they want. Also I wonder what the families or the victims would feel like.. I don't know, not saying either is right or wrong in terms of him being alive or dead but at least if he's alive it might give some answers. The dead can't talk

It's too easy for them though. Probably wanted to die anyway, don't give em what they want. Also I wonder what the families or the victims would feel like.. I don't know, not saying either is right or wrong in terms of him being alive or dead but at least if he's alive it might give some answers. The dead can't talk
Always believed this. Death isn't justice, it's revenge.

Not sure there's that much to be read in to suspect not being formally questioned yet.

from the perspective of someone who's not and has never been police or lawyer, i'd be inclined to think first priority would be to disarm suspect, and second to arrest them.

would be fairly certain they are under police guard so they can't bugger off from hospital

we don't know just what medical treatment suspect has needed, but wonder if there would be a risk that questioning a suspect while they are recovering from something that needed an anaesthetic, might give a defence lawyer some loopholes?

Not sure there's that much to be read in to suspect not being formally questioned yet.

from the perspective of someone who's not and has never been police or lawyer, i'd be inclined to think first priority would be to disarm suspect, and second to arrest them.

would be fairly certain they are under police guard so they can't bugger off from hospital

we don't know just what medical treatment suspect has needed, but wonder if there would be a risk that questioning a suspect while they are recovering from something that needed an anaesthetic, might give a defence lawyer some loopholes?
that last line, same as you can't interview a drunk/drugged person until they have sobered up.
shitty story, I just saw mental health being touted in the press in relation to this.

Good. I'm glad the cunt is arrested and not dead. Keep gun out of the hands of regular police imo. Don't know if that's what you meant?

Yes. I like it that we don’t have all coppers carrying. It makes for a much better society in many ways and is one of the things I think sets us (and New Zealand) apart. The longer it goes on the better.

Besides tooling up the old bill would cost a fortune, not particularly the guns, if you wanted to buy 100,000 Glocks you’d probably get a unit price arounf £500*. It’s more taking all rozzers off the streets to give them at least five weeks training plus a week a year. So the longer we don’t do it here the better.

But it does mean you need people prepared to take on people armed with swords knives (and even guns ) with sticks, sprays and Tasers on occasions in the full knowledge they are highly likely to get cut or stabbed and end up in hospital , or worse, like the two today for the rest of us…. Still, they’re all pig thick racists who got bullied at school so it’s not like we are expecting it of real people to put them selves on offer for us…

(* of course police procurement being the mess of egos and incompetence it is, then it probably wouldn’t be done as an order for 100,000 but loads of different orders, with slightly different specs allowing the suppliers to up the price ridiculously, but that’s a whole other topic…)

Last edited:
I would have thought they would have relied on an armed response even so. Not that I know the protocols. Guess they had to act as quickly as they could with what they had (tasers). RIP to the child.

Back
Top Bottom