Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russia to stop gas supplies to Europe (1/4/22)

The assuming is there to indicate that there's uncertainty, but for the purposes of the sentence I want to use that assumption. It's not a particularly unusual construction.
Why don't you assume its the Ukrainians or their allies? Seems a tad more likely.

That is partly what I was getting at incidentally; it seemed a weird choice for the Russians. But I assume it's not at all easy to attack a submarine pipeline largely undetected, so probably not some plucky fisherman.

On further consideration, from RU's POV, it would show ability to strike submarine infrastructure, which is a pretty large threat. Leaving aside pushing Europe on energy issues, which doesn't seem to stack up. But haven't thought that through fully.

They had already turned off supply via those pipelines.

With murky events like this, coming up with plausible motives is often not enough to be really confident of the perpetrator. And in this case we could probably come up with motivations for a bunch of potential perpetrators. So unless more info emerges I probably wont try.

Don't pretend to any special knowledge either of international affairs or of plumbing(well know a bit of plumbing) but if the Russians didnt want the gas to flow could they not just turn it off at the stopcock?:oldthumbsup:

They have already. It had gas in it because the pipelines need to be kept pressurised to maintain structural integrity.

They had already turned off supply via those pipelines.

With murky events like this, coming up with plausible motives is often not enough to be really confident of the perpetrator. And in this case we could probably come up with motivations for a bunch of potential perpetrators. So unless more info emerges I probably wont try.

Not opportunity though.

It's a submerged pipeline buried in the seabed, presumably with fairly heavy sonar traffic (ok the last is total speculation, just seems likely).

That is partly what I was getting at incidentally; it seemed a weird choice for the Russians. But I assume it's not at all easy to attack a submarine pipeline largely undetected, so probably not some plucky fisherman.

On further consideration, from RU's POV, it would show ability to strike submarine infrastructure, which is a pretty large threat. Leaving aside pushing Europe on energy issues, which doesn't seem to stack up. But haven't thought that through fully.
All these assumptions. not based on much.

Anyway, it's a fact that there are large numbers of ships that work on deep sea cables and pipelines of all types. It would be straightforward to attack the pipeline from a ship or trawler type boat. No submarine needed.

Anyway, it's a fact that there are large numbers of ships that work on deep sea cables and pipelines of all types. It would be straightforward to attack the pipeline from a ship or trawler type boat. No submarine needed.

Yeah, because marine surface traffic is famously unmonitored.

Delayed mines maybe?

Last edited:
fwiw my first thought was light sabotage that had caused a collapse further down the line through pressure drop (maybe there are safety systems to prevent that?)... But the explosions put paid to that idea. I honestly have no idea, and of course am speculating. Just think that if a) it's sabotage and b) involved explosions either some surface vessel will be in hot water soon, or someone with a lot of capabilities did it.

Last edited:
Back in Feb Biden threatened to "end" Nord Stream II if Russia invaded Ukraine.
Of course that doesn't mean they did it but they certainly looked at the possibility.

Ukraine has accused Russia of causing leaks in two major gas pipelines to Europe in what it described as a "terrorist attack".
Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhaylo Podolyak said the damage to Nord Stream 1 and 2 was "an act of aggression" towards the EU.
He added that Russia wanted to cause pre-winter panic and urged the EU to increase military support for Ukraine.

A few credibility issues here

No assumptions there then, it's all on based on your comprehensive knowledge of deniable and covert undersea sabotage operations against gas pipelines?

Normally on Urban we tend to get to expert status on any issue in the news by the end of day one tbh .

Indeed. 'Straightforward' though, I think that might be a bit over confident. Me going to Asda tomorrow for my shopping is straightforward, not sure I'd count the planning and execution of a covert operation to sabotage an undersea pipeline as the same, but maybe that's just me.

Indeed. 'Straightforward' though, I think that might be a bit over confident. Me going to Asda tomorrow for my shopping is straightforward, not sure I'd count the planning and execution of a covert operation to sabotage an undersea pipeline as the same, but maybe that's just me.
Who do you think done it and why?

If I had to bet Russia or adjacent types on behalf, and that seems to be the most likely candidate by far also according to a bunch of commentators. Reasons are standard; disruption, provocation, sending a message, etc. All the stuff they've done numerous times and places in recent history. Can't see any other logical possibilities tbh, although open mind to anything, although seems like we'll never really know. Russia would deny it anyway, even if remnants of bombs were found with 'Made in Russia' on them and we had photographic evidence of GRU agents taking a boat for a 'tourist cruise' over the pipeline the day before.

Galloway and all his ilk blaming the US/NATO. Of course.

Last edited:
Why would Russia do it?
  • Sow fear and dispruption in EU and NATO states reliant on Russian gas.
  • Cause hardship during the winter which could destabilise EU/NATO states reliant on Russian gas.
  • Sends a message that Russia could attack and destroy any other essential undersea infrastructure (HV cables, Network infrastructure etc)
  • Soften support for Ukraine by blaming/framing them
  • Due to sanctions and an EU wide shift to future renewables/alternate suppliers the EU market is becoming a 'dead-end' for Russian energy exports so why not spectacularly cut it now for maximum impact?
Why would the US do it?
  • Demonstrate a warning to Russia that their pipelines and energy export infrastructure is vulnerable to attack and that the US can attack it at will
  • 'Plausible deniability': Blame Russia for the attack to harden EU/NATO state support of Ukraine war effort/potential NATO escalation if Russia goes Nuclear
  • Announce (without outright saying it) that there are US subs now stationed in the Baltic.
Why would Ukraine do it?
  • Harden support for Ukraine by blaming/framing Russia
  • Pissing off Russia and cutting off a revenue stream to Putin's war coffers
There's probably a bunch of other reasons for each of them but those immediately come to mind. Of the three, the greatest risk of blowback if they are caught/come clean about it would be to the US and Ukraine. If were either of those two, support for Ukraine's war efforts would collapse overnight and awkward questions would be asked of the US rep at the next NATO heads of state meeting...

It could also be a drop in pressure causing catastrophic structural failure of the pipeline... Basically, who the fuck knows at this stage...?🤷‍♂️
🤷‍♂️

Ships don't float very well in gasses and tend to sink rapidly. :(

Back
Top Bottom