Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

4 minute warning?

So they're testing it on evening of 23/04/23. I wonder how loud it's gonna be, couldn't tell from the clip. Hopefully you can mute it if it requires some action before you can use the phone. (imagining not being able to hear VoiceOver to find the dismiss button if it's loud.)

So they're testing it on evening of 23/04/23. I wonder how loud it's gonna be, couldn't tell from the clip. Hopefully you can mute it if it requires some action before you can use the phone. (imagining not being able to hear VoiceOver to find the dismiss button if it's loud.)
I belive you can disable these alerts in your settings on both andriod and apple.
Personally I'm curious to see what happens on the day so will leave them enabled.

I belive you can disable these alerts in your settings on both andriod and apple.
Personally I'm curious to see what happens on the day so will leave them enabled.

Yes, you can. I'm leaving them on, too. I want to know what the crack is next time I hear it.

Lw-Zpps4OGr8ohQiXDvJG_91YdRGiBZ3IEde1hZfRLI-bhpP5kVhm7WGIyINgLj9h9DD3_q0N_ojrCkbZ_BdZ74qpcgJg9P1e5Srdzt1uqzTOrzGkBNggn1j7jGCOLYiDI0UqXD7t8cQ-fZf2iQv-RfM1sabHNR6qLZS5iTxiOKDyeZ54q9LhDgraw_CJYQtTJQcIhy7pl8OWNWtT_BCnnCosCmQ1TDwXIAvY75D50w4_jpnfgnYMkI2XF1XwnTmg0TeJO7XIQC2-ZPhAVGJTw1VoKZ65rE1FHeWDdUUHO3WpHOfWytseE33HxAtYpuoEyoboOoF5TM6BKcLFIzdq-w2eDJidvLBdpOEPc57lyrRIST_TYvWikI69AJJ2jPAjEW63PBuDXg2xSk2-1LqbxESCfCKm9cWqUxuE-ehDxRcYkrBHw64MCgzvnGfXbDeuEIewUmdT8R6Ibx2rikmxvZ0B3bO8AQSOw0bFDW4xs1YbeN7XeyYKt6NtVSoQzUXM5EXtGAgzIR89_nYyMPjiALOQxd9K9Ud8AUmCAhWLyJIBCQvJzBL0J-tALXQ6pC0DDzPFwJAjXa6d6jqKmKTTZMkS1ZQacOvJGFMPPmhMRaMlb_lPOB8y6RC0APMNHsO55q_PlnCD8FN8eORxzmXXAMmTRuw2GwRColxAcjSmgRGpHA8NAPmPTqlebxy2vR5Dw8kpvk5d3mg3CYNFjNz9TYnzW8hnJBB3hRQrnyWSBuyy9Hj_fpn8OWYz9mLHts74gC14khpmQKK2FVtiCKryGYtSiGdRSDjf7jkYASaQiFn8IISQGAocxyq45HZjdLNpi260MaQiQn4ihbowR1DU58ZJj8ef6a9LB4nN6s7PJY3GotTPQs-RJlzvgNPdCg-6aD0nZBFvJaRsTuNr_osRYLY7CqfN6PtUTyr6mzkTPG6k8TWOQ=w620-h1342-s-no

Why is it four minutes?
Warning time is a function of missile class, trajectory selection, detector type and lags inherent in any warning system chain.

Four was likely a guess originated for SLBM launches from subs loitering in the near continental margins, once the delays in reporting were factored in (could have varied from just a minute or two up to 10+ minutes). ICBM launches would, potentially, offer a little more heads up (longer still for lofted trajectories but those are perhaps less likely options in a primary strike wave, not least for that very reason but also for reasons of throw weight/payload and interception).

Modern EW, eg SBIRS, would likely spot IR signatures in the early boost phase so there is potential for prompt notification, though quite how soon that might be fed into any open messaging system is not clearly stated in the public domain (AFAICS).

I read a story in the Ukraine war thread and got me thinking if there was a Nuclear attack on the UK and there were air raid sirens and a 4 mintue warning what happens next?

Where will people go incase of a missile strike or a Nuclear attack as we dont have bunkers anymore would people hav to find or build shelters to make sure friends and family are safe?

And what would you do if heard it would you take it seriously?

I don't believe we'll get a warning, unless there's some leak or mistake. In the US, there's no shelters for anyone but the military and VIPs. There's no point warning us if there's little you can do about it.

I don't believe we'll get a warning, unless there's some leak or mistake. In the US, there's no shelters for anyone but the military and VIPs. There's no point warning us if there's little you can do about it.

They tested a simalar system in Hawaii a few years ago and sent out a "nuclear attack started" message to peoples phones by mistake causing panic :D

There would be time to tell the dog that he is a good dog. I'd hate for the world to end and the last thought in the dog's head when it happened was not knowing that he was a good dog.

They tested a simalar system in Hawaii a few years ago and sent out a "nuclear attack started" message to peoples phones by mistake causing panic :D

Yes, I remember. That's one of the reasons I don't think they'll tell us. It'll just create a panic. We do have sirens here, but I don't think anyone would know the difference between a tornado warning and nuclear war.

Whats the difference between extreme and severe? :hmm:
In the US the National Weather Service uses those classifications to distinguish between immediate threat (eg tornado, hurricane, tsunami; might be used for evacuation) and warning (eg storm surge, heightened flash flood risk; separately might be used for eg chemical spill). There there is an additional level (Presidential Alert) which can't be disabled (and another 'AMBER' for missing persons alerts).

Seems doable if you're quick off the mark. A minute to gather the ingredients, 2 minutes cooking time, and 40 seconds frantically blowing it to cool it down...

Nobody's going to moan about washing up.

They have that in Canada. You get automatic tornado warnings, etc. Even if your phone's on silent, it overrides it with an alarm and a text.

Same idea here, however there is a way to switch-off reception and sound independently.

Ahh - I see its already explained upthread! :)

Haven't heard of an alert system for Ireland yet.
If memory serves me it was 2001 when the Irish government had any public plan & discussion on nuclear attacks in Ireland.
Every household got a box of iodine tablets...they're probably out of date now.

Back
Top Bottom