Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rugby World Cup 2023

I think the thing I hated the most was the human centipede move they did every ruck before a box kick. Just trying to force mistakes, no width. I’m glad they’re not in the final as they could have won it.

I think being a ref in rugby must be the hardest of jobs in officiating in major sports. The speed and the fact that they must have to guess a lot of the time due to the bodies lying all over the ball. Football and cricket are a cinch in comparison. Not a job I'd enjoy.

I think being a ref in rugby must be the hardest of jobs in officiating in major sports. The speed and the fact that they must have to guess a lot of the time due to the bodies lying all over the ball. Football and cricket are a cinch in comparison. Not a job I'd enjoy.
But the players are so polite, and anything difficult you can send upstairs ;)

On the ref stuff. The ref favours you based on what you show them at the scrum / breakdown. Every one is an opportunity to paint a picture to the ref that you’re the right side of legal. And both teams have an equal opportunity.

England dominated both in the first half, SA the scrum in the second, breakdown was more even.

I can think of teams I have backed who have only drawn ahead in the final minutes (Lions 2nd test NZ 2017!) sometimes it’s your day, sometimes it isn’t

Well, English tactics absolutely correct for the conditions and their opponents but without doubt the most negative I've seen at a WC. Literally at no point did they try to set up phases or really do anything at all. Can't fault them for trying but fucking glad they lost.
Gatland would have loved those tactics tbf, play to your strengths and stop the other team playing, but yeah a different game to what we saw last night

But that’s the beauty of rugby, so many different ways to win

Last edited:
While I’m sad England aren’t in the final, I’m happy that Wayne Barnes will almost certainly ref it, and as he has reffed over 100 tests, and been involved in the knockout stages of 5 world cups, he deserves the chance to do a final.

Perhaps even his last game in the middle, I wouldn’t be surprised, but he’s still one of the best - and fittest - refs so could easily go for another season or two.

Next Saturday, a repeat of the 1995 final, sees both teams have the chance to win their 4th World Cup - SA have never lost a final, the only time New Zealand did was in 1995. It’s probably the two most rugby obsessed nations so it feels right that it’s the final in a way.

Sam Whitelock, the sole survivor from the New Zealand team in 2011, has the chance to be the first man to win 3 rugby world cups.

I still want SA to win though because of Kolisi; because of props like Ox Nche (if your nickname is Ox you have to earn it and keep earning it) and for Kwagga Smith’s nose (a player I’ve followed since he played 7s)

While I’m sad England aren’t in the final, I’m happy that Wayne Barnes will almost certainly ref it, and as he has reffed over 100 tests, and been involved in the knockout stages of 5 world cups, he deserves the chance to do a final.

Perhaps even his last game in the middle, I wouldn’t be surprised, but he’s still one of the best - and fittest - refs so could easily go for another season or two.

Next Saturday, a repeat of the 1995 final, sees both teams have the chance to win their 4th World Cup - SA have never lost a final, the only time New Zealand did was in 1995. It’s probably the two most rugby obsessed nations so it feels right that it’s the final in a way.

Sam Whitelock, the sole survivor from the New Zealand team in 2011, has the chance to be the first man to win 3 rugby world cups.

I still want SA to win though because of Kolisi; because of props like Ox Nche (if your nickname is Ox you have to earn it and keep earning it) and for Kwagga Smith’s nose (a player I’ve followed since he played 7s)
Think we proved conclusively that Fiji is the world's most rugby obsessed nation but I take your point.

Agreed about Barnes. I'm a big fan - in spite of the opprobrium of the bottle chucking masses in fairydanceland he has consistently been one of the best refs in the world for years. I'm always relaxed when he officiates matches involving Wales insomuch as I know it'll be a fair scrap between two rugby teams rather than the flight of fancy of an official's hubris. He's tight, insightful and consistent, which is all to his credit.

I, too, hope the Saffas win. Interesting that rolling over and being dominated by France like a bunch of cowering amateurs in the opening game could benefit the fairy dancers in the final. They've only really competed in one significant match rather than the three that the Bokke have

Not to mention the fact that the best sides in the world are coached to cheat in a way that the officials won't pick up. Interesting that the French moans about the saffas blocking the kick chase was acted on tonight but not once before.

Don't follow the game but tune in for the big matches. Not sure if I was watching rugby or a wrestling match - not a lot of slick play - but it was tense and had me hooked!Always felt like Boks would get back into it.. Seemed like a game of attrition, intentionally so and England getting worn down and out in the end. What a performance by both sides

Don't follow the game but tune in for the big matches. Not sure if I was watching rugby or a wrestling match - not a lot of slick play - but it was tense and had me hooked!Always felt like Boks would get back into it.. Seemed like a game of attrition, intentionally so and England getting worn down and out in the end. What a performance by both sides
I wondered if England had swapped out more players in the middle of the second half they’d have held onto the lead. SA swapped out all the bench during the second half, they must have had fresher legs at that point, and that, given how physical the game was, must have been an advantage.

No idea what was said but first thoughts are that right cunt is very similar to white cunt and maybe what was said

Can’t say I’m a fan of the “sir, sir” methodology full stop

Anyway, it’s a bit like DuPont moaning about the ref last week, it’s irrelevant as the match is over and comes across as a loser having a whinge

No idea what was said but first thoughts are that right cunt is very similar to white cunt and maybe what was said

Can’t say I’m a fan of the “sir, sir” methodology full stop

Anyway, it’s a bit like DuPont moaning about the ref last week, it’s irrelevant as the match is over and comes across as a loser having a whinge

Well, no he's not actually whinged about it at all. It was the broadcaster who picked up his question to the ref. Curry has downplayed it.

I seem to recall Joe Marler getting a ban for making a similar racist comment against Wales.

I wondered if England had swapped out more players in the middle of the second half they’d have held onto the lead. SA swapped out all the bench during the second half, they must have had fresher legs at that point, and that, given how physical the game was, must have been an advantage.

In my, admittedly layman’s view, it was the subbed on props that cost England penalties and thus the game. Unsure how long Marler and Cole could’ve lasted but they were at least matching the Bocks up front. Add in the turnovers and kicking game that England were controlling, then they looked comfortable - or at least much more than when Genge/Sinckler came on. I remember thinking at the time, ‘these props could be the weak link here’.

Perhaps someone else could shed light on whether Marler and Cole could’ve lasted?

Back
Top Bottom