Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Potential effect of Scottish Independence on the rest of the Common Travel Area

I think, and I may be taking a wild stab in the dark here, in exactly the same way that has occurred with the UK leaving the EU?

Cross border travel might be almost a difficult one to manage, but working, or buying/renting a home, opening a bank account, or seeing a doctor - all of these are very easy to manage the access to.

If you've not seen how the above are at least as effective at acting as a border as a passport control post in an airport, then you've not being paying attention...
My point is that even after independence, Scots will have the right to enter, live in and work in England because of their British Passport.
s

This is so amusing. It is just part of the psychopathology of such groups.

wank.gif

My point is that even after independence, Scots will have the right to enter, live in and work in England because of their British Passport.
s
You’ve said some daft shit but that’s right up there. After independence I’ll be a dual National because I currently hold a British passport which will remain valid?

Anyway, dugs.

s

Err... No they won't. Neither will English, Welsh or NI citizens/residents have those rights in Scotland.

Rights are determined and granted by the states involved, the mechanism is via the law, and the law can be changed by those governments.

You seem to have a frankly bizarre view that you can have seismic political/legal/cultural change in one sphere, but that it would have no impact on the spheres immediately adjacent to it - the reverse is true. In the event of Scottish independence the untangling, and the political effects caused by the process of untangling, would be so profound on every aspect of life both north and south of the border that pretty much every aspect of any future relationship would be up for grabs.

I have some views about what I think that relationship might look like 2 years, 5 years, 10 years after separation, but I wouldn't give any of them more than a 50/50 probability simply because of the complexities involved, and the chaos (in the mathematical meaning) that would be unleashed by process of seperation and the defining of the two(more?) new states by their internal political dynamics.

Anyone who confidentially says 'oh this will happen, and that won't', is - to be frank - a drooling half-wit.

Err... No they won't. Neither will English, Welsh or NI citizens/residents have those rights in Scotland.

Rights are determined and granted by the states involved, the mechanism is via the law, and the law can be changed by those governments.

You seem to have a frankly bizarre view that you can have seismic political/legal/cultural change in one sphere, but that it would have no impact on the spheres immediately adjacent to it - the reverse is true. In the event of Scottish independence the untangling, and the political effects caused by the process of untangling, would be so profound on every aspect of life both north and south of the border that pretty much every aspect of any future relationship would be up for grabs.

I have some views about what I think that relationship might look like 2 years, 5 years, 10 years after separation, but I wouldn't give any of them more than a 50/50 probability simply because of the complexities involved, and the chaos (in the mathematical meaning) that would be unleashed by process of seperation and the defining of the two(more?) new states by their internal political dynamics.

Anyone who confidentially says 'oh this will happen, and that won't', is - to be frank - a drooling half-wit.
Yeh we've established br is a dhw

Any such person refused residence in England could sue to retain their rights. Law change would require Lords assent.

Any attempt to remove such rights from Scottish residents on a particular date.would lead you credible contradictions.

What about people with one of both parents born in England. It would mean that someone not living in Scotland on that date would retain their right to live in England but a Scottish resident with the same parental set would lose theirs.

What about English born people living in Scotland?

What about Scottish born living abroad?

Under current Scottish plans, any person living in Scotland on independence is eligible for Scottish citizenship but that cannot be forced on people.

Under current Scottish plans, any person living in Scotland on independence is eligible for Scottish citizenship but that cannot be forced on people.
Whose plans are these? Where are they? What validity do they have, ie have they the approval of holyrood? You really are a great overflowing midden of a poster with all the political nous of one of boris johnson's turds

Any such person refused residence in England could sue to retain their rights. Law change would require Lords assent.

Any attempt to remove such rights from Scottish residents on a particular date.would lead you credible contradictions.

What about people with one of both parents born in England. It would mean that someone not living in Scotland on that date would retain their right to live in England but a Scottish resident with the same parental set would lose theirs.

You're fucking full of whataboutery

He's real. He was in charge of people for a long time. People's lives.

And they wonder why we hate them.

BORDER REIVER
OI CUNT

I just started looking at this thread because I thought it might be interesting. What a sad end to an otherwise lovely day, sunny weather, warmth and an excursion to Polzeath beach. And now this.
Don't be sad! We're all quite jolly over here -- sausages, dogs and macaroni cheese pies and mentions of Walter Scott novels yet to come. What's not to like?

Back
Top Bottom