Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Potential effect of Scottish Independence on the rest of the Common Travel Area

My point is that even after independence, Scots will have the right to enter, live in and work in England because of their British Passport.
s
Yes you're right but so what?
Assuming that the SNP sticks to the manifesto it published during Indyref 1 at the moment of independence any person living in Scotland either born there or habitually resident become a Scottish citizen, any person living outside Scotland but born there is also a Scottish citizen.
If they were not born there but have one parent or grandparent born there they can register with the Scottish Embassy (once one is up and running) as a Scottish citizen.
These are the current rules operated by both the UK and Eire and the SNP has said it would adopt them into Scottish Law as would be the right of an Independent Scotland
Under British Law anyone who currently has a British passport (which is pretty much everyone in Scotland at the moment) would keep it. Their children and grandchildren born in an independent Scotland would be eligible to register as a British citizen under British law which is nothing to do with Scotland but is British law (though being dual citizens now, Priti can strip them of it for terrorism).
British citizens can unsurprisingly come and go into Britain as they choose, regardless of what other citizenships they hold.
Any third generation Scot born after independence will not have that right and will be purely a Scottish citizen however since UK rights to claim end at the third generation.
However Irish citizens currently have the right to enter, live in and work in the UK purely on their Irish passports I would imagine indeed I am certain that right will be extended to purely Scottish passport holders. Why shouldn't it and why are you bothered?

He's really overrated. Give me Robert Louis Stevenson any day.
I quite liked some (and capturing the old folk tales of the Covenanters and all was good) but The Bride of Lammermoor defeated me. And it's very draughty and narrow at the top of the Scott Monument and all.

Just to throw in a bit of controversy...

Am I alone in thinkimg Walter Scott did go on a bit with his pages and pages (and even more pages) of descriptions of landscapes..? :hmm:
Yes. Very old fashioned style. I read him as a kid. Ivanhoe all that. Didn’t notice. You don’t. You don’t know what literature should be like when you’re 11. (I didn’t even realise Robinson Crusoe didn’t have chapters until someone told me). But I read him a couple of years ago. The Heart of Midlothian. Christ, he’d never get to the point!

Just to throw in a bit of controversy...

Am I alone in thinkimg Walter Scott did go on a bit with his pages and pages (and even more pages) of descriptions of landscapes..? :hmm:
If you're going to make up a country, boots on land = win (the game hasn't changed much).

If you're going to make up a country, boots on land = win (the game hasn't changed much).
I muust confess I'd never really thought of the politics of it (apart from the Covenanter etc stuff)... Could be he was just trying to bore everyone into admission/acceptance.

In fact thinking about what I have posted nothing actually changes, currently everyone living in Scotland can come and go in the UK and Ireland as much as they want, Post independence everyone currently living in Scotland can come and go in the UK and Ireland as much as they want so thing will not change for the Scottish for a few decades. Technically I suppose Holyrood could then impose restrictions on British or Irish citizens coming to Scotland but not being completely deranged why on earth would they do that?

Yes you're right but so what?
Assuming that the SNP sticks to the manifesto it published during Indyref 1 at the moment of independence any person living in Scotland either born there or habitually resident become a Scottish citizen, any person living outside Scotland but born there is also a Scottish citizen.
If they were not born there but have one parent or grandparent born there they can register with the Scottish Embassy (once one is up and running) as a Scottish citizen.
These are the current rules operated by both the UK and Eire and the SNP has said it would adopt them into Scottish Law as would be the right of an Independent Scotland
Under British Law anyone who currently has a British passport (which is pretty much everyone in Scotland at the moment) would keep it. Their children and grandchildren born in an independent Scotland would be eligible to register as a British citizen under British law which is nothing to do with Scotland but is British law (though being dual citizens now, Priti can strip them of it for terrorism).
British citizens can unsurprisingly come and go into Britain as they choose, regardless of what other citizenships they hold.
Any third generation Scot born after independence will not have that right and will be purely a Scottish citizen however since UK rights to claim end at the third generation.
However Irish citizens currently have the right to enter, live in and work in the UK purely on their Irish passports I would imagine indeed I am certain that right will be extended to purely Scottish passport holders. Why shouldn't it and why are you bothered?
Thank you.

Exactly my point. Scotland and England are necessarily economically interdependent because of shared residence rights.

There is a considerable amount of denial of reality on this thread from people who do not understand British citizenship.

I know it's the wrong thread but i'm not on here much - but, George Keravan, now ALBA TWAT, is who provoked Neil Davidson onto his long anti-nationalist pro-independence journey. I saw him listed on that other thread and people not realising that was quite a big one.

In fact thinking about what I have posted nothing actually changes, currently everyone living in Scotland can come and go in the UK and Ireland as much as they want, Post independence everyone currently living in Scotland can come and go in the UK and Ireland as much as they want so thing will not change for the Scottish for a few decades. Technically I suppose Holyrood could then impose restrictions on British or Irish citizens coming to Scotland but not being completely deranged why on earth would they do that?
Agreed.

Thank you.

Exactly my point. Scotland and England are necessarily economically interdependent because of shared residence rights.

There is a considerable amount of denial of reality on this thread from people who do not understand British citizenship.
What have residence rights got to do with economic interdependence?, The UK is heavily interdependent on both the USA and the EU, the first have no residency rights and the second are being stripped of theirs. Scotland and England are interdependent so much because they are actually the same country (for now at least).

What have residence rights got to do with economic interdependence?, The UK is heavily interdependent on both the USA and the EU, the first have no residency rights and the second are being stripped of theirs. Scotland and England are interdependent so much because they are actually the same country (for now at least).
If you read back I was talking about the probable false belief that Scotland's economy would collapse after independence. Some celebrate this. I was pointing out that should it occur, England would experience destabilising movements as people with residence rights drifted south.

Wholemeal pastry?

Here's one, in all its naked glory:

3780596.95fb9e2c.1600.jpg

The local pie shop usually opens in about an hour - do you think I could magik an "essential" reason to stop-by?

Yes. Very old fashioned style. I read him as a kid. Ivanhoe all that. Didn’t notice. You don’t. You don’t know what literature should be like when you’re 11. (I didn’t even realise Robinson Crusoe didn’t have chapters until someone told me). But I read him a couple of years ago. The Heart of Midlothian. Christ, he’d never get to the point!
Mark Twain fucking hated him.

This thread is a disgrace. Macaroni cheese??? Fuckin pastry (the type is irrelevant)??? This is a final warning for some posters that the P&P section exists, mainly, for the discussion of sausages. Unlike some competitors we’ve always operated a policy that transcends borders and geography when it comes to the banger. Square sausages exist alongside the southern sliced sausage in harmony. In recent years we’ve opened our structures up to allow ground breaking debate on chorizo hearing contributions from Spanish and Mexican enthusiasts.

Further postings about any non-sausage based comestible will see the poster placed on ignore. :mad:

This thread is a disgrace. Macaroni cheese??? Fuckin pastry (the type is irrelevant)??? This is a final warning for some posters that the P&P section exists, mainly, for the discussion of sausages. Unlike some competitors we’ve always operated a policy that transcends borders and geography when it comes to the banger. Square sausages exist alongside the southern sliced sausage in harmony. In recent years we’ve opened our structures up to allow ground breaking debate on chorizo hearing contributions from Spanish and Mexican enthusiasts.

Further postings about any non-sausage based comestible will see the poster placed on ignore. :mad:
What about sausage rolls? (Not to be confused with a roll and sausage).

1617610989228.jpeg

(Roll and square sausage with tattie scone).

Back
Top Bottom