Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Potential Mid Bedfordshire by-election, 2023

Current boundaries, on which the election will be fought:

View attachment 389009

That made me look up the constituency and the boundary changes. Because where I grew up we were always Mid-Beds constituency. Now, apparently not (and since 97 I learned). My town is on that map. But not in the constituency anymore.

You can see from the map how rural (and therefore Tory) it is. Look at the size of it, all those villages holding 1000 people or so. Then look at the boxed off Marsh Farm and Leagrave. That's all one constituency (Luton North)

If you don’t know the area, Houghton Regis sounds like somewhere out of a Jane Austin novel.

It really really isn’t…

This is getting surreal. She's refusing to resign but is welcoming the candidate they've chosen in her stead.

Surely, Festus Akinbusoye has only been selected as the Conservative Party candidate rather than having been selected as "the next MP for Mid-Bedfordshire" - unless Ms Dorries knows something that everyone else does not. Surely it is the constituents who select who becomes the MP?

In any event, he seems to bring the sort of background that would make him well-suited to follow in her footsteps:

Fake Newspapers and Struck Off Firms: The Conservative Candidate to Replace Nadine Dorries MP

FqNKX_XXwAEFNih.jpg

(Source: x, formerly known as Twitter)

"My view is that the Conservative Party makes things happen. The Labour Party talks about what is happening. In my business background, I get paid for what I deliver. I know black people in predominantly black areas who have tried to become counsellors and could not even get a look-in with the Labour Party. And they left to join the Greens or the Lib Dems. When I stood for selection, I was chairman of the Milton Keynes Conservatives but I was the only black candidate and I won on the first ballot. The Conservative Party wants to support you if they think you can win. When I stood for PCC I got 60,000 votes." (Source: GQ, 19 July 2021)

Oh. That'll be the Musketeer blocking access unless you're signed in.

Think that means we've solved the "no really, don't just post tweets" issue!

So, update, the writ was moved today so the by-election should be called for early October.
I like how the X is positioned exactly where an 'X' close button would be. 🤦‍♂️

I see it's made the news. Some Labour MP has attacked the LDs for getting too personal by saying their boy is a councillor in London and some other stuff but does this mean he's getting worried?

All by-elections have narratives, particularly so in safe seats because the turnout might collapse, or an indie might come second out of nowhere, or some other curious statistical quirk might happen.

Statement of Persons Nominated

Festus Akinbusoye (Conservative)
Sid Cordle (Christian Peoples Alliance)
Prince Ankit Love, Emperor of India (no ballot paper description)
Dave Holland (Reform UK)
Emma Louise Holland-Lindsay (Liberal Democrats)
Ann Kelly (Official Monster Raving Loony Party)
Gareth Mackey (Independent)
Chris Rooney (Mainstream)
Cade Sibley (Green)
Alistair Luke Strathern (Labour)
Alberto George Thomas (Heritage)
Alan Victor (True and Fair)
Antonio Daniel Vitiello (English Democrat)

Last edited:
Is this: “Prince Ankit Love, Emperor of India” or “Prince Ankit, Love-Emperor of India”? We need to be told!

#PunctuationMatters
Good point. I'll amend it. (They're also standing in Rutherglen and Hamilton West btw. At £500 a chuck it must be good money being an Emperor)

Back
Top Bottom