Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rochdale by-election

Six months is pretty good for Galloway I'd reckon. It gives him enough time to position himself as a Commons rebel without being long enough to make it clear he's a useless shite as a constituency MP before campaigning starts again and he's off the hook.

Last edited:
The complete senate apperance was pretty long he destroyed all that questioned him as I remember Id never seen anything like it before so at least hes not one to be frightened by the oratory skills from likes of Sunak or Starmer it might get interesting if he challenges thier scripted bull shit at least :thumbs:

thanks for posting that, i know nothing of rochdale but that was the first time i'd seen galloway and he wrecked the neocons and i had great admiration for him for a long time. it was sad to see that he'd become an assad fanboy etc.

The WPB intend to field a slate of candidates and have the modest aim to "take over the town hall".

Does seem like hubris, really. It's one thing to win a by-election, quite another to win a local election from a near standing start. I suspect they will do poorly and get nowhere near taking the town hall.
naah, he said he wanted to create a council of all the talents, getting the local great and good in. He invited the bloke who was runner up to be part of it. Even he isn't delusional enough to think a WPB slate would win. It should also be pointed out, that with 20 seats up this year, it's impossible for a new slate to win a majority.

Call me cynical but the one term thing may well have been self-interest if he thought saying that would help get him elected in the first place. (Cynical is my default where Galloway's concerned tbh.)
naah, I think he honestly thought they would be building up something that would last, that He would be enough to forge a movement that would, at least, hold on to the radical muslim vote. I doubt anyone voted for him thinking 'just this once.' Well, not more than a couple of people who hated the awful Wills.

Here we fucking go.

(Tweet where he criticises the U.K. government for not stopping the boats, and protecting the border of Ukraine but not the U.K. border.)

Cunt was hanging out with Bannon the other day too. Anyone still pretending he’s ’left wing’ ?

Here we fucking go.

(Tweet where he criticises the U.K. government for not stopping the boats, and protecting the border of Ukraine but not the U.K. border.)

Cunt was hanging out with Bannon the other day too. Anyone still pretending he’s ’left wing’ ?

Bloody hell!

What a racist piece of shit is George Galloway.

Here we fucking go.

Now I'm confused. Looks to me like Iseael is moving its border...or is that. .. nope just confused .

I

How is a London based political journalist closely allied with Starmer going to appeal to the jaded people of Rochdale? Feels like a tone deaf choice to me.

Yeah it's a bold/stupid call by me, I concede.

I was thinking he'd be able to work on a good message that he was the guy who could have won it for Labour, which might play well when the Galloway disappointment comes through.

Yeah it's a bold/stupid call by me, I concede.

I was thinking he'd be able to work on a good message that he was the guy who could have won it for Labour, which might play well when the Galloway disappointment comes through.
You could be right if the election ends up being right towards the end of the year perhaps (enough time for Galloway to screw himself) - and he was born in Rochdale so perhaps can spin his way out of the Westminster bubble thing. But still think he will struggle to win back voters lost to Galloway over Gaza or to Tully for the strong local voice thing.

If they wait towards the end of the year for an election Gaza probably won’t be that big an issue, either Israel will have reached its murder quota and stopped or many people will have grown immune to the horror of it all. It would suit Sunak to go sooner while there is still some disarray in Labour’s ranks.

The WPB intend to field a slate of candidates and have the modest aim to "take over the town hall".

Does seem like hubris, really. It's one thing to win a by-election, quite another to win a local election from a near standing start. I suspect they will do poorly and get nowhere near taking the town hall.
They'll have to be patient. Rochdale only elects 1/3 of it's councillors each year (well, 3 out of each 4 years to be exact).

Any one know if this is real? Ta
This was the other leaflet for a different section of the constituency :

8YQBjLi.jpeg

Here we fucking go.

Any one know if this is real? Ta
View attachment 414603

No wonder Paul Mason hates him. Paul's rightward shift is 'mad' but real, while this is slithering, opportunist and nasty. What a scumbag.

Why do you think Tice wanted him as a Reform Candidate?
I mustn't be very observant, but when did Galloway add anti-refugee racism into the mix of his opportunism? One particular bit seemed even more incongruous, the stuff about the undocumented being 'fighting age men'. I'm guessing he's referring to Muslim migrants who might take up arms/be linked to foreign conflicts? If so, how does that sit with his primary pitch, last week, to Muslim voters in Rochdale (or indeed all of his post-Labour candidacies)?

I don't mean that British Muslims are in sympathy with these migrants who allegedly pose a threat, but it seems like a focus that would alienate Muslim voters. Is this some extension of his pro-Assad politics, in that he means these 'fighting age men' are opponents of his mate Bashar?

I mustn't be very observant, but when did Galloway add anti-refugee racism into the mix of his opportunism? One particular bit seemed even more incongruous, the stuff about the undocumented being 'fighting age men'. I'm guessing he's referring to Muslim migrants who might take up arms/be linked to foreign conflicts? If so, how does that sit with his primary pitch, last week, to Muslim voters in Rochdale (or indeed all of his post-Labour candidacies)?

I don't mean that British Muslims are in sympathy with these migrants who allegedly pose a threat, but it seems like a focus that would alienate Muslim voters. Is this some extension of his pro-Assad politics, in that he means these 'fighting age men' are opponents of his mate Bashar?

I think he understands that most people won't be discussing this beyond some fairly surface level stuff. I mean did you have any idea these two leaflets existed? Drop them according to demographic maps. A handful of people getting pissed off on twitter isn't going to make the difference.

It's cynical, mercenary tactics and it worked. In the short term anyway. There are things 'we' could probably learn from the piece of shit, though with an abundance of caution.

Exactly that, they are enemies of the courageous and indefatigable regime he currently supports. He's anti-abortion too.

:D

Thank you for this busman's holiday in the urban of 2004, with a number of SWP drones calling for uncritical report for RESPECT. No doubt the likes of Silent Nate and "Levien" are on other platforms these days with some other dishonest politics.

But, from the old RUC leaflet, what's this "GALLOWAY FOR EUROPE" heading then, eh?

surely not.....MR BREXIT??

:eek::eek:
I'd forgotten Oisleep was banned.

those of us with long memories will recall the ruc producing different leaflets for different sections of the community too
Labour too. When I lived in Oxford, there were separate leaflets for Pakistani/Bangladeshi origin voters -- obviously one homogenous group that only cares about pictures of the local MP with various local imans cos Muslims aren't interested in housing or the NHS or local schools etc :rolleyes:.

My ex used to get the 'Muslim version' of leaflets while I got the 'non-Muslim' one. The whole thing was shameful.

Rochdale Town Hall re-opened yesterday, a beautiful multi-million pound restoration funded in part by the council, who like many in the north-west seem to be applying principles of Community Wealth Building / The Preston Model locally, drawing on the town's long history of co-operativism. This week in the town there's a big Festival of Ideas to try and come up with further new and interesting solutions to the town's problems.

There's a lot to criticise about Labour and their local councillors, but this genuinely seems to be a local authority investing in the commons and some sort of future infrastructure for council tax payers rather than cutting everything to the bone and selling everything off. Exactly the same council that the bombastic buffoon wants to replace with his cronies and ne'er-do-wells over time.

Oh, and Rochdale AFC- a much loved and endearingly terrible local football club with a long history of muddy success-averse mediocrity- were saved from the threat of imminent liquidation by new American owners. This happened on the day of the election but that won't stop the WPB leader trying to claim the credit for this happy outcome.

Be nice to populate the thread with good news stories from here from now on, and exile Galloway to the sadly resurrected and newly topical WPB thread. Hopefully by the time Touchstones Gallery re-opens in 2025 the fedora-wearing parasite will have been flushed away like the piece of shite he is. Thanks to Labour's shambolic incompetence and control-freakery at national leadership level, that's far from the certain outcome it should be.

Sir Tony Lloyd MP (Labour) has died. A by-election would be held in due course unless the expected general election happens in the meantime.

Sir Tony had been battling cancer and a recent leukaemia diagnosis.

His X/itter account has been updated with this message:

fair play to the fella rip

Hopefully, the current Member of Parliament for the constituency will be able to do more for their constituents on issues such as this than The Late Sir Tony Lloyd was able to.

Back
Top Bottom