Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Those by-elections (potential and otherwise) in full

I don't think they did do shitly, that's my point.
If people don't vote for you when they have the chance, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

The point is this isn't about comparing one with the other, it's about setting a standard and being disappointed it isn't met, even if you are relieved that you at least don't have to eat at the diseased-shit pedlars.

It's roughly the same turnout for a local election as we've seen over the last 50 years. So sure it's a question for the entire democratic process and every MP and party of the last 50 years.
Pretty much...

Making it a key failing of this specific Labour Party seems inaccurate.
They're not the only ones responsible, sure, but they do have quite a bit of responsibility. It would surely be nice to at least see them try a bit harder to work against and even change the system, right?

But, I get that we're probably just going to disagree on what it's reasonable to expect. Of course, the challenge (from my perspective) would then be to get people to raise their expectations. But, it's a Saturday afternoon and I've got to try and unblock the washing machine again so I can get my sheets out ;)

take the blinkers off. we can agree to disagree. I look forward to them doing so shitly in a GE and winning a landslide.
If a government won an election on a turnout of less than 50%, its legitimacy would be called into question.

If a government won an election on a turnout of less than 50%, its legitimacy would be called into question.
Fun fact: if general elections had the same thresholds as strike ballots in industries like health and primary/secondary education, none of the governments since at least 1945 would have been elected.

(Tbf, I think the overall turnout for each of them was over 50%, but none of the 'winning' parties got the required % of the overall electorate)

It's roughly the same turnout for a local election as we've seen over the last 50 years. So sure it's a question for the entire democratic process and every MP and party of the last 50 years. Making it a key failing of this specific Labour Party seems inaccurate.

Ah, but you are forgetting that, for many posters, this particular Labour Party iteration is unequivocally the worst political party in the entire history of the world Evah; and if you don’t subscribe to that belief you are worse than Hitler.

Ah, but you are forgetting that, for many posters, this particular Labour Party iteration is unequivocally the worst political party in the entire history of the world Evah; and if you don’t subscribe to that belief you are worse than Hitler.
Well, I am not sure if any previous Labour Leader promised to refuse to raise a large number of children out of poverty by repealing a piece of Conservative legislation.

I think that Starmer’s pledge to not abolish the two-child limit demonstrates that he has absolute contempt for the poorest people in our society.

Con switchers in leafy remain territory usually go LD. It’s certainly not nailed on for anyone, though, will be another mid Beds in that respect.

Depends too on of there are other ones to worry about at the same time too. Presumably Labour will be working hard on Bone for one

why? Labour have been runners up more often the the libs over the last 25 years or so.
That's correct, particularly so for 2017, but it won't stop the LDs flooding the constituency with their many councillors/activists that can be found just to the North in the 'Golden Crescent' of the outer SW GL 'burbs.

I mean I think we can assume both parties will flood the constituency.

Would be nice if there was some form of arrangement but neither party owes each other a favour and I would also imagine the Greens might want a pop as well.

Back
Top Bottom