Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Potential effect of Scottish Independence on the rest of the Common Travel Area

Surprisingly enough, Greyhounds are good flat dwelling dogs, 30 minutes on-lead walk a day and they'll spend the next 23.5 hours upside down on cushions, gently guffing.
Hmm, my friends have greyhounds (two ex-racers) and yes, they're bloody lazy and not the sharpest hounds in the pound. But they take up a lot of space just lying about the place. (And get into bloody everything.)

They are beautiful when they run though.

I miss my old friend, Sorrel. She was a lab. But I don’t think a city flat is a place for a lab. I’ve always found spaniels very affectionate and funny. I thought they’d be a good size for a flat, but maybe not if they need space. I do like whippets though. They’re lovely.

Our new poster is clearly trying to stir up shit, However he's right on one point, All current residents of Scotland are British citizens so unless there is something in the seperation agreement that requires them to choose then they and anyone born in an independent Scotland for the next two generations will also automatically be British citizens since UK law grants 'grandfather' rights for British citizenship. The first purely Scottish citizen will not be born until sometime around the 2040's at the very earliest even if Scotland became independent tomorrow.
It's hardly a massive crisis though, firstly there is a free Travel Area between the UK and Eire for decades and it (mostly) works well. I'd lay a sizable bet there will also be a similar agreement with Scotland which means Scotland will almost certainly be expected to remain out of the Common Travel Area for something like 50 years from independence.

I miss my old friend, Sorrel. She was a lab. But I don’t think a city flat is a place for a lab. I’ve always found spaniels very affectionate and funny. I thought they’d be a good size for a flat, but maybe not if they need space. I do like whippets though. They’re lovely.
All the whippets I've met have been pretty chill. As long as you take them out for a quick sprint a couple of times a day

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd have a boundlessly energetic dog like any of the spaniels in a city - Glasgow has some gorgeous parks and the canal and the Kelvin, but I'm not convinced there's enough off-lead area where a dog could really explore and run about without potentially getting in other people's way.

A mate of mine has greyhounds, he gives them half an hour each morning and then takes them to work - they sleep all day around his desk...

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd have a boundlessly energetic dog like any of the spaniels in a city - Glasgow has some gorgeous parks and the canal and the Kelvin, but I'm not convinced there's enough off-lead area where a dog could really explore and run about without potentially getting in other people's way.

A mate of mine has greyhounds, he gives them half an hour each morning and then takes them to work - they sleep all day around his desk...
We’re close to Ruchill Park, where I’ve seen dogs off leads. But I don’t think the Botanics would be suitable.

Whippets are just small Greyhounds, so good for flat-life, indeed for small flat-life.

Cambridgeshire is small and flat, which is why Greyhound* Lines don't operate intercity services there.

WD438.jpg

* Why is a US based company called Greyhound and not Grayhound? Any ideas Border Reiver ?

Our new poster is clearly trying to stir up shit, However he's right on one point, All current residents of Scotland are British citizens so unless there is something in the seperation agreement that requires them to choose then they and anyone born in an independent Scotland for the next two generations will also automatically be British citizens since UK law grants 'grandfather' rights for British citizenship. The first purely Scottish citizen will not be born until sometime around the 2040's at the very earliest even if Scotland became independent tomorrow.
It's hardly a massive crisis though, firstly there is a free Travel Area between the UK and Eire for decades and it (mostly) works well. I'd lay a sizable bet there will also be a similar agreement with Scotland which means Scotland will almost certainly be expected to remain out of the Common Travel Area for something like 50 years from independence.
Why would Scotland be outwith the CTA? Ireland never was.

How can they stop someone with a British passport moving to and working in Full UK?

How would "border control" decide who had residence rights?

Cambridgeshire is small and flat, which is why Greyhound* Lines don't operate intercity services there.

WD438.jpg

* Why is a US based company called Greyhound and not Grayhound? Any ideas Border Reiver ?
Because the breed of dog is spelled Greyhound. Many US spellings were not changed anyway until the 1930s when 'U's were dropped from colour etc. 'S' and 'Z' spellings are still shared.

Because the breed of dog is spelled Greyhound. Many US spellings were not changed anyway until the 1930s when 'U's were dropped from colour etc. 'S' and 'Z' spellings are still shared.

Do you think that after independence the Scots will reform spelling in a more consistent manner to cover both colo(u)r and canine? If so, which letter or combination of letters do you think they will use?

How can they stop someone with a British passport moving to and working in Full UK?

I think, and I may be taking a wild stab in the dark here, in exactly the same way that has occurred with the UK leaving the EU?

Cross border travel might be almost a difficult one to manage, but working, or buying/renting a home, opening a bank account, or seeing a doctor - all of these are very easy to manage the access to.

If you've not seen how the above are at least as effective at acting as a border as a passport control post in an airport, then you've not being paying attention...

Your clearly getting the UK/Eire Common Travel Area and the Schengen Travel Area mixed up. Anyone who is an Irish citizen has full rights to live and work in the UK now, In fact one of them has been living with my daughter for the past five years and has lived and worked in the UK for the past eight without problems. Incidentally it goes both ways UK citizens can live and work in Ireland without permission it just happens that the vastly larger UK economy tends to pull in more people from Eire than the other way round.
It will be exactly the same with Scotland, as for the rest of Europe, Ireland like the UK is outside Schengen, Scotland almost certainly will be as well so passports will be needed just that Scots like Irish (but not British) will be able to come and go as they please.

Your clearly getting the UK/Eire Common Travel Area and the Schengen Travel Area mixed up. Anyone who is an Irish citizen has full rights to live and work in the UK now, In fact one of them has been living with my daughter for the past five years and has lived and worked in the UK for the past eight without problems. Incidentally it goes both ways UK citizens can live and work in Ireland without permission it just happens that the vastly larger UK economy tends to pull in more people from Eire than the other way round.
It will be exactly the same with Scotland, as for the rest of Europe, Ireland like the UK is outside Schengen, Scotland almost certainly will be as well so passports will be needed just that Scots like Irish (but not British) will be able to come and go as they please.
I am not confusing the two. "Border control" I am talking about is Scotland England.

Do you think that after independence the Scots will reform spelling in a more consistent manner to cover both colo(u)r and canine? If so, which letter or combination of letters do you think they will use?
Scots or Lolland's already has multiple different spellings. Standard English is shared.

Back
Top Bottom