Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Racism towards Travellers in the UK

I’m referring to pretty much all of you. At least with spy he doesn’t do it with a a nauseating self-righteousness
"All of you"? That was my first post :)

Nobody else has done it with a nauseating self righteousness here, in fact the only other people using the words at all were quoting him.

I'm only here myself now because it's raining at Trafford (and to watch Krtek make a donkey of himself).

Sure you are.

You got called out on your comments (not your experiences, which are obviously terrible) and you just doubled down calling people thick/stupid/idiots etc.

Fwiw, if you were abused like that in my company - would stand by you, despite your somewhat contrary ways.

Enjoy the football/rain.

And what's your suggestion going to be? Should I try to become friendly with some on the off-chance that they might not be racists anymore?
I'm not really one for suggesting how others conduct themselves, tbh.
But, if you did want to reach out and meet members of the community, perhaps making contact through the https://travellermovement.org.uk/ might be a way forward?

Bunfight over? Nice.

Even though I seem to be the only one here* with daily contact with the GRT community (a term I've NEVER heard anyone use), I've kept my contribution to one post so far because I'm not sure my experience is typical of the UK. But in a doomed attempt to get back to the OP...

We do things different in Llanelli. Nearly always that is a bad thing. In so many ways we are decades behind. But maybe not on this one.

Like I said, long established traveller/gypsy camps. FWIW, I'd guess about 20% of my pupils are traveller/gypsy/half-gypsy. You might expect, in the context of 'acceptable racism', I'd witness a lot, or at least a bit, of casual to serious racism towards this minority.

I don't.

There are few black people out here in the wild west. I think I've had 1 black kid in 6 years and he was shipped in from gang wars in Coventry. Heard the word nigger quite a bit when he was with us.

Never heard anyone called a gypo.

IMO...those traveller/gypsy sites are long established. 50 years. Gypsies. Half gypsy. Quarter gypsy. Eighth gypsy.

This is what integration looks like, when you give it a chance.

Doesn't stop some of them being racist cunts like. This is Llanelli. But see my first post.

* who isn't actually a traveller. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Once I was out for a walk near home in the Forest, we were walking in one of the Inclosures (areas planted for forestry), when there was a constant stream of travellers on horsedrawn buggies going past. We found out later it was a memorial ride for someone local. It was quite a sight. Most nodded to us or acknowledged us. There must have been between 50 and 100 buggies. I'd liked to have known more about what was going on, and where all these people had come from.

I'm not aware of any designated provision for travellers in this area. Sometimes there are a few caravans parked up on verges. And sometimes reports in the local press of caravans on recreation grounds. People are pretty rude about them, and expect them to make a mess. Whether they do or not I don't know, I haven't seen the local site after they've left.

The New Forest has a long history of gypsies and travellers staying in these parts. I came across a bit of the history when I was volunteering at the local history museum. There was one guy there who was collating all the info held, and sorting through old photos. Interesting. The gypsies were all settled into designated sites in the 50s or 60s I think, and no longer allowed to use their traditional sites in the Forest.

There are some caravans parked up in a park in town. I noticed them when going into town. Didn’t see any rubbish in the park, or indeed any folk around the caravans, but then again the weather wasn’t great.

Prompted me to spend 10 mins when I got back looking at the local “spotted” Facebook page and promptly regretted that, as reported up thread every instance of crime was being blamed on them.

Some travellers have apparently smashed through a gate onto a school playing field near here, during a school sports day, and driven into two members of staff.

Not a great public relations move. Pretty sure the people who pull this kind of shit are a tiny minority, IME most travellers are pretty low-key and a lot smarter about where they pitch up.

Last edited:
Listened to this yesterday, about an "experiment" in Scotland to rehouse travellers for their good and the good of the wider community.

The racism, prejudice and discrimination is blatant, and the effect it had upon the travelling community in Scotland was fairly devastating and depressing.

Only half hour long, well worth a listen.

Listened to this yesterday, about an "experiment" in Scotland to rehouse travellers for their good and the good of the wider community.

The racism, prejudice and discrimination is blatant, and the effect it had upon the travelling community in Scotland was fairly devastating and depressing.

Isn't 'tinker' a fairly offensive term for a traveller?

I’ve heard that local youths will go on the rob when travellers park up in the locality as they know the travellers will get the blame
More likely is that “local youths” will go on the rob when travellers park up because they know the travellers will go on the rob themselves and therefore deflect the blame. Have you ever lived in a high crime area?

Last edited:

that was a good (is that the word?) podcast.

A policy that was maintained by the ‘transformative’ governments of Attlee and Wilson, and removed in 1980. That’s not to defend Thatcher, and i wouldn’t have thought that travellers swung the 79 election for her, but still, food for thought

Episode 5 follows an attempt to arrest an organised gang based on a traveller camp thought to be responsible for 100s of violent burglaries across London. Pretty shocking and unfortunately rather fits many peoples negative stereotypes.

More likely is that “local youths” will go on the rob when travellers park up because they know the travellers will go on the rob themselves and therefore deflect the blame. Have you ever lived in a high crime area?
I doubt the local youth who “go on the rob”refrain until a caravan is spotted🙄.
There’s a holiday inn on a seafront that takes regular bookings for traveller weddings. ( my personal theory is a manager hates his staff and make sure he’s rotated off when the wedding happens😂) we get a complaint about the parking reluctantly attend hand out a few tickets and clear off as fast as possible by midnight security and police usually attend because a fights broken out. They spend ages calming sorting things out. But any damages are paid for in cash.
Seems to happen every other month

I doubt the local youth who “go on the rob”refrain until a caravan is spotted🙄.
There’s a holiday inn on a seafront that takes regular bookings for traveller weddings. ( my personal theory is a manager hates his staff and make sure he’s rotated off when the wedding happens😂) we get a complaint about the parking reluctantly attend hand out a few tickets and clear off as fast as possible by midnight security and police usually attend because a fights broken out. They spend ages calming sorting things out. But any damages are paid for in cash.
Seems to happen every other month
Shut up

Back
Top Bottom