Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weird investigation into the Legacy Independent Funeral Directors, Hull

A family who turned their deceased loved one’s ashes into jewellery have been informed they’ve found his body in a freezer. Which begs the question of whose remains they’ve been wearing.

Just ash from the ice-cream tub they use at the pub to empty the ashtrays into, pick out the dog ends and you’re good to go.

Human ashes are more like gravel than fag ash. I was surprised at the weight of them when I got the old man back (assuming it was him).

Maybe better to use the ashtray contents from a crack den then :hmm:

You have just made me think, I have never seen human ashes in real life, let alone handled them. Not too sure how I can rectify this situation.

Maybe better to use the ashtray contents from a crack den then :hmm:

You have just made me think, I have never seen human ashes in real life, let alone handled them. Not too sure how I can rectify this situation.
Life being what it is there is a reasonable probability that you will have this experience one day.

Whatever way, there's always way more than you want or bargain for; I ended up having to put some of my relatives on their runner bean patch.

A family who turned their deceased loved one’s ashes into jewellery have been informed they’ve found his body in a freezer. Which begs the question of whose remains they’ve been wearing.
If they've not been cremating bodies due to the cost they could have just been handing out ashes from a bonfire. :hmm:

It’s going to be another case of the public sector bailing out a private sector failing isn’t.

‘Hard working small business man , engine room of the economy’ has had a cash flow problem and probably sticks his head in the sand rather than sort it out and not wanted to face up to it.

The old bill will now have to run a massive investigation. Not sure there is a modern precedent . I’d imagine they have dusted off the plans for a large scale disaster victim identification (DVI) job as this is going to be most like a ‘closed’ incident; one where you have a load of bodies and body parts and a list of who was involved ( eg a passenger manifest) and have to match them up. Hopefully the bodies will be whole and not disrupted. Some poor fuckers have still got to pull all the remains out of a freezer, re stack them and log everything. I imagine the freezer is ‘somewhat chaotic’.

The news says they are using a hospital mortuary. There will be a cost for that, and it’s likely there won’t be space enough so someone will have to pay for a temporary one. ( bit of a bun fight probably between police/ local authority/ health trust and coroners’ court* over who picks up the tab.) so the public are paying for that.

All of the bodies will need to be cremated, or buried, and that’s going to be the tax payer again…

Criminal trial that’s going to up there with a murder trial in costs.

Finally there will be an enquiry, probably a public enquiry, which will be extensive and thorough ."lack of communication between agencies, lessons will be learned, “

Once again the public sector will be picking up private sector failures.

* Fun fact: in England and Wales dead bodies are the property of the coroner…

Last edited:

And, apparently she's been told she has to identify his body.

A widow who thought she had her husband's ashes made into jewellery has been told she needs to identify his body at a scandal-hit funeral directors.

The unidentified woman has been told she needs to identify her late husband’s body eight months after he died as part of a major police investigation into Legacy International Funeral Directors in Hull, East Yorkshire.

I suspect that fraud is much more rife in the industry which claims to turn ashes into jewellery than it is in the high street funeral business.

It’s quite an unpleasant little industry. Preying on people who may be coming into a bit of money, when they’re extremely vulnerable and emotional, to sell them massively overpriced tat that a kid could knock-up with a Fisher Price jewellery kit.

Last edited:
It’s quite an unpleasant little industry. Preying on people when they’re extremely vulnerable and emotional to sell them massively overpriced tat that a kid could knock-up with a Fisher Price jewellery kit.
A friend's sister had her father's ashes incorporated into her wedding ring she was told the extreme high cost was due to the cost of gold. The gold she'd supplied to them.

From the Guardian:

A bereaved granddaughter has said she feels “physically sick” after learning that her grandmother’s body is believed to have been found alongside 34 others in a funeral home at the centre of a major police investigation.

The woman said her grandmother was supposed to have been cremated three months ago but that she had been told by police last week that what are suspected to be her remains had been recovered, along with a name tag, at Legacy Independent Funeral Directors in Hull.

“I even collected [her] ashes, to be told months later by police she wasn’t even cremated,” she told the Guardian on Wednesday. “I’m disgusted. I feel physically sick.”

More than 1,000 grieving relatives have contacted a police hotline set up as part of an investigation into what a senior officer described as a “truly horrific incident” at the funeral home.

Police have recovered 35 bodies and suspected human ashes during the inquiry into concerns over the handling of the deceased.

A 46-year-old man and a 23-year-old woman have been released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of prevention of a lawful and decent burial, fraud by false representation and fraud by abuse of position.

The granddaughter, who does not want to be identified, said her grandmother had died in November last year and was supposed to have been cremated after a funeral service the following month.

The family had been happy with the service, she said, describing the staff as “friendly, polite and sympathetic”.

She collected what she believed to be her grandmother’s ashes last month, placing some in an urn in the living room and others in a special “memorial corner” in the family garden.

On Friday night, she said, police officers had turned up at her house to tell her they had recovered a female body with her grandmother’s name on a tag at the funeral home on Hessle Road.

Because my Mum died over the Christmas period it was several weeks before we could have the funeral and it was a horrible feeling going to bed at night knowing she was on a slab in a mortuary somewhere.
If I now found out that she'd been there for months and months, I'd be well upset.

This is truly grim, so much so I'll put it in spolier.

The body of a 78-year-old grandmother was left to decompose at a funeral parlour at the centre of a police investigation for seven weeks, her relatives have claimed.
Susan Stone’s family and friends gathered at Legacy Independent Funeral Directors in Hessle Road, Hull in January for her funeral before mourners were told her body would be taken off for cremation.

But seven weeks later the Stone family, who are from Hull, received a call from Humberside Police informing them that Mrs Stone’s body was still inside the funeral parlour without being refrigerated.

According to reports, the body was too decomposed to the point dental records will be required for formal identification before she can be cremated.

These monsters need long jail time.

Back
Top Bottom