Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Owen Jones targeted and attacked

I don't think anyone is actually questioning that he was deliberately attacked. It also appears that the attack was politically motivated rather than random homophobia. The uncertainty seems to be whether the attack was premeditated.

The tweet posted earlier has OJ saying it was premeditated, and he clearly believes it was, but with the evidence as so far made public, I'm not sure we can yet say definitely one way or the other.

It can only be premeditated if the perps knew he would be in that establishment at that time. Otherwise it’s opportunistic or random.

It might seem churlish to say, but there definitely is a difference between bumping into fash and getting a kicking and them acting on intel to seek out those to attack. Not a big difference to Jones right now for sure but politically it’s massive.

I imagine so. I was just wondering why some were saying the distinction was irrelevant.
It just seems weird that all the focus has fallen on Jones saying it was premeditated (which covers 'opportunistic' eg planned twenty minutes in advance as much as planned twenty weeks in advance anyway). I don't think anybody seriously thinks it was some meticulously planned ambush by a far right squad, given he's basically got a graze on his back

Basically premeditated is a pretty unhelpful word, I think Jones is just using it to mean 'there was definitely some element of planning'. But it's one of those things that you just drop in because it sounds better than planned.

View attachment 181334 Some people are just plain cunts
Reason number 3,521 'why twitter is shit' I went on that person's Twitter page, it's so obviously not genuine (joined this month, the name Brenda being exactly what a middle class liberal would expect a racist to be called, the mini bio being obvious bollocks) that it actually really annoys me to see people on twitter taking their posts seriously and expending energy replying to their tweets

Surely it was premeditated if someone spotted him in the pub & arranged for him to get a kicking on the way out?

If there was an element of planning then it was premeditated. Or am I just being thick?

Technically, yeah. But you can also take it to mean something planned well in advance... The word doesn't have a lot of clarity as it can mean either.

Technically, yeah. But you can also take it to mean something planned well in advance... The word doesn't have a lot of clarity as it can mean either.
Technically? I don't think this is much dispute in legal cases as to a premeditated murder.
verb
past tense: premeditated; past participle: premeditated
  1. think out or plan (an action, especially a crime) beforehand.
    "premeditated murder"
If it was planned in advance as in someone spotted him in The Lexington & got on the phone to some dodgy mates in Upper Street to come & give him a kicking then it was premeditated.

Technically? I don't think this is much dispute in legal cases as to a premeditated murder.
verb
past tense: premeditated; past participle: premeditated
  1. think out or plan (an action, especially a crime) beforehand.
    "premeditated murder"
If it was planned in advance as in someone spotted him in The Lexington & got on the phone to some dodgy mates in Upper Street to come & give him a kicking then it was premeditated.

Well there is, which is why it doesn't really get used any more. In the US it was used to prosecute first degree murder, but became somewhat meaningless as - legally - it can mean any degree of planning - including during the course of a fight etc. In that sense most jurisdictions use 'intent' to establish that element of a crime. You might then have an aggravating factor of advanced planning or something.

I’m sure most people think about something before doing it given we’re sentient beings but premeditated requires planning.
Well if anyone is arrested & their phone records are checked & there was communication between a phone at the Lexington & anyone else who happened to turn up in the next half an hour or so then will you accept it was premeditated?

Well if anyone is arrested & their phone records are checked & there was communication between a phone at the Lexington & anyone else who happened to turn up in the next half an hour or so then will you accept it was premeditated?

If I know more facts than Owen Jones does right now in the future will I agree with him?
Is that a rhetorical question?

If I know more facts than Owen Jones does right now in the future will I agree with him?
Is that a rhetorical question?
If the case is investigated properly & CCTV is used to to identify the suspects & their phones are examined then if there was contact between the assailants prior to the attack & they were not all previously at the Lexington then it would be safe to say the was some form of premeditation although if they have not used texts it might be difficult to prove.

If the case is investigated properly & CCTV is used to to identify the suspects & their phones are examined then if there was contact between the assailants prior to the attack & they were not all previously at the Lexington then it would be safe to say the was some form of premeditation although if they have not used texts it might be difficult to prove.

It could be premeditated, I’m not disputing that. Surely the contention is OJ claiming as such. Anyway, we’re mostly playing Urbans Pedantry here, which, as fun as it is, isn’t adding much. I’ve made my point and happy to agree to disagree.

It could be premeditated, I’m not disputing that. Surely the contention is OJ claiming as such. Anyway, we’re mostly playing Urbans Pedantry here, which, as fun as it is, isn’t adding much. I’ve made my point and happy to agree to disagree.
I am sure OJ might be aware if the people who attacked him were in the venue beforehand or just happened to to be outside when he left. I am sure it will come out in the wash.

could quite easily be some far right violent twat was out with mates and spotted him earlier in the evening - maybe going into the bar or they were already there - and they decided to have a go. that is still premeditated and targeted.
I saw something similar at an anti-war stall in leeds in 2002ish - I wathced these three or four blokes as they were walking up the road, they clocked that stall - they had a quick conflab, said something like "we doing this then" and moved and kicked the stall over - chinning the guy running it in the process. To me it looked totally opportunistic - but it was completely pre-mediated - and politically motivated.

Opportunistic and premeditated aren't mutually exclusive. If they had just spotted him and immediately attacked, that would not have been premeditated. If they hung around outside waiting for the best time to attack, then it's premeditated.

I don’t agree. Premeditated means they planned on attacking him prior to finding him. Opportunistic also takes planning, but relies on the opportunity arising.

Back
Top Bottom