Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

North Shropshire by-election

Government left with egg on their faces...

The government has U-turned and ditched immediate plans to overhaul the standards system after a Tory MP faced suspension for breaching lobbying rules.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, the Commons leader, admitted the move had “created a certain amount of controversy” and that it had “conflated the individual case with the general concern” there was not an appeals process for MPs who felt the punishment they faced was unfair.

Rees-Mogg said the government wanted to “achieve improvements in our system for future cases”, but that after Labour and the SNP vowed to boycott the committee, he realised cross-party consensus had not been achieved. He promised to “bring forward more detailed proposals once there have been cross-party discussions”.

It's not clear what is going to happen to Paterson now, but the BBC suggests another vote on if his suspension should go ahead.

Government left with egg on their faces...

It's not clear what is going to happen to Paterson now, but the BBC suggests another vote on if his suspension should go ahead.

Yes, rather splendidly so...but here's the rub and the confirmation that this is all about nobbling any scrutiny before Johnson, Hancock etc. get dealt with:

1636023687318.png

Here we go...usual Johnson schtick...

View attachment 295417
Can't keep up with the u-turns 🤣 if they hadn't try to block it, he'd have been suspended, they'd have had to endure a few stories about a back bencher & tory sleaze , and it would have been forgotten about. Instead they derail the process, attract ire from all sides, then pull back when they realised they'd proper fucked up and made it a huge story. I guess the recall petition is back on.

Can't keep up with the u-turns 🤣 if they hadn't try to block it, he'd have been suspended, they'd have had to endure a few stories about a back bencher & tory sleaze , and it would have been forgotten about. Instead they derail the process, attract ire from all sides, then pull back when they realised they'd proper fucked up and made it a huge story. I guess the recall petition is back on.
Yes, but with the caveat that it looks as though they'll be able to rig the (new) process before Johnson appears for perjuring himself over the flat refurb loan; the whole purpose of this farrago.

Nice that they've cut Paterson loose, though :D

Yes, but with the caveat that it looks as though they'll be able to rig the (new) process before Johnson appears for perjuring himself over the flat refurb loan; the whole purpose of this farrago.

Nice that they've cut Paterson loose, though :D
Chucked him under the bus 🤣 I still don't understand why they decided to defend him . If it had been a current Cabinet member , then whilst still wrong, I would understand the why.

Chucked him under the bus 🤣 I still don't understand why they decided to defend him . If it had been a current Cabinet member , then whilst still wrong, I would understand the why.

Indeed, totally bonkers, after all the suspension is only for 30 days, it's not like he's being thrown out completely, still it's provided some entertainment.

He was just (what they thought would be) a useful trojan horse case for making sure that Johnson gets off; these psychopaths don't care about each other.

All that 'they will remember this' chat is bollocks though. What will happen next time is they'll march through the lobby they're told to march through, same as ever.

and he's quit. the bye-election is on.
all this fuss for nothing. absolute shambles.

It is a shambles, but not for nothing...unless Starmer grows some, Johnson will neuter the scrutiny process before he's due before it for his perjury about the flat redecoration funding.

Yet more twists & turns , it was only this morning that he had a safe gig , now he's off.

Back
Top Bottom