Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peter Bone's time is up! Wellingborough by-election.

Meh. I guess the figures are suspiciously round numbers but it's plausible enough that her business provided support to the campaign and was eligible to have those expenses paid. Hardly a duck island situation.

One wonders what sort of "overheads and general administration" and "administrative services" would Helen Harrison's physiotherapy firm, 'Harringworth Physiotherapy', have provided as "support" to a political campaign?

I notice that the article states "The Conservative Party and Ms Harrison declined to comment."

Hopefully, they will enlighten voters in the next 24 hours.

One wonders what sort of "overheads and general administration" and "administrative services" would Helen Harrison's physiotherapy firm, 'Harringworth Physiotherapy', have provided as "support" to a political campaign?

I notice that the article states "The Conservative Party and Ms Harrison declined to comment."

Even physiotherapy firms can have office staff. Who can be purchased to help a campaign.

Probably they agreed to pay her some money for some tasks and she invoiced via her firm. It just doesn't seem that out of the ordinary to me. Or perhaps I'm just numb to this kind of low level corruption these days.

Oh, I'd not been following this thread - has one of the parties chosen a candidate for a by-election who's turned out to be a bit embarrassing, then?

Oh, I'd not been following this thread - has one of the parties chosen a candidate for a by-election who's turned out to be a bit embarrassing, then?

The background was set out here.

The candidate has subsequently proved slightly elusive:

Labour already calling it as a victory, which would be hardly surprising.

Apparently Tice is on his way to the count, so he must think Reform has done well.

even the beeb has (pretty much) called it for labour now

turnout 38%, which makes me think Rochdale will be even tinier

So, next door goes labour. Wonder if hollobone will be sweating it, if he has any cause to. I'll be referring to Gen Kitchen as Gen Population, Gen Grievous and similar from now on.

Swing of 28.5% to Labour, the largest in a by-election since Dudley West in 1994.

That 13% share for Reform will be causing concern in the Tory party, despite the fact they are unlikely to achieve that level in a GE.

View attachment 412370

good to see the golden shower vote shrink

All of Devon Labour :hmm: :eek: These are all totally shot in the dark projections but rare to see Torbay not be blue

Where my dad lives (was Damian Green constituency, will be Weald of Kent) is still Tory interestingly

They are not going to get that massive 28.5% swing at the GE, and whatever they get it certainly will not be spread evenly across the country, the LibDems are likely to do better than Labour in a lot of West Country seats.

Also I doubt the more rural seats in Sussex will swing behind Labour, although they will pick up the more urban ones, electoral calculus currently shows that in Worthing East and Shoreham there's a 83% chance of Labour winning, and in my Worthing West seat, which always seemed a lot safer for the Tories, they predict a 59% chance of Labour winning.

Worthing returning even one Labour MP was a complete fantasy until fairly recently, and now it looks like both seats with turn red.

Caught reports that both rees-smug and sunak were trying to put a brave face on these results.
Words to the effect that the party of the sitting government always do poorly in bye-elections, local support in Kingswood regarded Skidmore's standing down as a betrayal / waste of money as it is "close" to a gen election, Then sunak saying, basically, every vote for anyone other than the tory party will open the door for starmer to win at the gen election. I did notice that in the report segment I heard this morning that Smugg failed to say anything about why wellingborough had a byelection ...

Caught reports that both rees-smug and sunak were trying to put a brave face on these results.
Words to the effect that the party of the sitting government always do poorly in bye-elections, local support in Kingswood regarded Skidmore's standing down as a betrayal / waste of money as it is "close" to a gen election, Then sunak saying, basically, every vote for anyone other than the tory party will open the door for starmer to win at the gen election. I did notice that in the report segment I heard this morning that Smugg failed to say anything about why wellingborough had a byelection ...
Well that's pretty much true isn't it? His problem is that currently far more people want Starmer to win rather than him and the door isn't so much open but hanging off with only a single bent hinge still in place.

They are not going to get that massive 28.5% swing at the GE, and whatever they get it certainly will not be spread evenly across the country, the LibDems are likely to do better than Labour in a lot of West Country seats.

Also I doubt the more rural seats in Sussex will swing behind Labour, although they will pick up the more urban ones, electoral calculus currently shows that in Worthing East and Shoreham there's a 83% chance of Labour winning, and in my Worthing West seat, which always seemed a lot safer for the Tories, they predict a 59% chance of Labour winning.

Worthing returning even one Labour MP was a complete fantasy until fairly recently, and now it looks like both seats with turn red.
I wonder how they are working out the "chance" of winning?

Back
Top Bottom