Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nigel Farage

Do most people ever have any contact with their MP or know what work they actually do? (I don't) Surely with someone as well known as Farage the people voting for him have a reasonable expectation of what they're getting and one of those things is a ton of self-promotion.

MPs are supposed to represent the interests of the people who didn’t vote for them as well, though.

Do most people ever have any contact with their MP or know what work they actually do? (I don't) Surely with someone as well known as Farage the people voting for him have a reasonable expectation of what they're getting and one of those things is a ton of self-promotion.

I did when we had an LD MP (1997-2015). I had had a lot of dealings with him when he was a county councillor, he lived locally and I often used to bump into him in Waitrose. As did half the town, the poor sod, he'd try and do a bit of shopping and end up picking up casework at the same time.

The useless Tory that replaced him didn't live in the constituency and only set foot here when she had to. Not long before the election, I happened to park near her constituency office and was highly amused to see that the flat above it had large Lib Dem posters in every window.

Most people no but they are supposed to run weekly surgeries in which green ink writers and people in genuine distress can come to them to raise issues or seek help, whether thats with food banks or fuel poverty or objecting to Themuns Building Houses. Alongside that replying to emails and letters on similar lines. You'll see MPs waving letters or quoting people they've spoke to talk about it in PMQ's - Jeremy Corbyn mentioned one of his lot being very concerned about her bins when he was LOTO

So its a small percentage of people who deal with their MP but still an important part of the job.

What I mean is most people don't have contact with their MP
Ok, but why not, don't people care? Sometimes you have a problem you cannot sort out, sometimes they or their party do something you disagree with, sometimes you feel they could do something better.
I have lobbies my MP for change, to stop things. I have also tried offering suggestions to change certain things
Isn't that what your MP is for. There is more than one way to promote change and goodness knows I've tried a few.

Ok, but why not, don't people care? Sometimes you have a problem you cannot sort out, sometimes they or their party do something you disagree with, sometimes you feel they could do something better.
I have lobbies my MP for change, to stop things. I have also tried offering suggestions to change certain things
Isn't that what your MP is for. There is more than one way to promote change and goodness knows I've tried a few.
Your mp isn't really there to represent you but to represent their party in parliament

My new MP lives over the road from me so I regularly see him around and am on friendly terms with him. Had a Tory MP for 15 years before that. Despite the party he represented and many of his views, he was around regularly in town, often used to see him up the cafe. The Labour MP before that was bloody useless though. He got a job in the defence office so was heavily involved in the Iraq thing and licking Blair's arse that he never had much time for the town. Had to contact him once and it was just his minions dealing with me, very ineffectually. He did invite some of us for a chat and a glass of wine, at the start of his time in Parliament but forgot the wine, which I wasn't very impressed by.

The UK public elects Members of Parliament (MPs) to represent their interests and concerns in the House of Commons.

That's how it's supposed to work.

Every now and again constituents figure out their MP doesn't care or even visit their constituency and they vote them out. Best example is Truss, too busy in self promotion and sucking up to Trump.

My new MP lives over the road from me so I regularly see him around and am on friendly terms with him. Had a Tory MP for 15 years before that. Despite the party he represented and many of his views, he was around regularly in town, often used to see him up the cafe. The Labour MP before that was bloody useless though. He got a job in the defence office so was heavily involved in the Iraq thing and licking Blair's arse that he never had much time for the town. Had to contact him once and it was just his minions dealing with me, very ineffectually. He did invite some of us for a chat and a glass of wine, at the start of his time in Parliament but forgot the wine, which I wasn't very impressed by.

Did he forget the wine as it wasn't claimable under parliamentary expenses?

Every now and again constituents figure out their MP doesn't care or even visit their constituency and they vote them out. Best example is Truss, too busy in self promotion and sucking up to Trump.
Only took the good people of Lichfield 32 years to see through Michael Fabricunt. Not sure why it took them so long to realise he's just a self promoting attention whore. It wasn't like he was subtle about it!
5276150-0-image-a-12_1540203186942.jpg

Yes I agree however most people don't feel the same way as us, we're odd like that.

Back
Top Bottom