Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nigel Farage

Fine post from reddit:

Honestly living in Cornwall proves how flawed Reform is.

They blame everything on immigrants (from the state of the NHS to potholes) yet at the last census 96.9% of people living in Cornwall were from within the UK. Yet our NHS is fucked and everything else they blame on immigrants happens down here.

Reform are just the party for pseudo-political xenophobic little men.

Owner was/is a prize twat - I did see it is one of the few retail complexes with it's own Wiki "Controversies" section

Controversies and legal disputes​

Statues of local political figures and officials the owner believed were opposed to his development "welcome" shoppers to the Liskeard store. One source of opposition may have been that planning permission did not always precede building work[citation needed]

Robertson's local newspaper advertisements resulted in three newspapers carrying the adverts being successfully sued for libel by Sir Edward Heath,[8] when some of his comments became highly personalised.

Robertson placed advertisements in the 1980s and 1990s calling for the castration of gay men. The United Kingdom Advertising Standards Authority ruled against Trago Mills and demanded the withdrawal of all advertisements in 1998.[9][10] Trago still occasionally runs inflammatory copy within their ads, one entitled "For any cash strapped Moslems reading this…" appeared in the Falmouth Packet in 2009 to promote a book by senior UKIP official David Challice.[11]

With his son and successor, Bruce, Robertson supported Eurosceptic political parties, most recently the United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP). Robertson threatened to refuse to stop using imperial measures in his stores, attributing UK metrication to the European Union (Trago today sells goods in metric quantities, sometimes with imperial equivalents, in line with the law).[12] He remains opposed to speculative immigration from Eastern Europeans. Robertson supports job-specific immigration, more liberally than some in UKIP.[13][14] In January 2007, the Mid Devon Star suggested this was hypocritical, as his large Newton Abbot site employed around 30 Polish people.[15]

In September 2011, the company was fined £199,588 after admitting five breaches of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. This followed the discovery of several thousand tonnes of dumped waste, including asbestos, at its Newton Abbot and Liskeard sites.[16] The fine was reduced to £65,000 in January 2012, after an Exeter Crown Court judge accepted that Trago Mills had paid nearly £500,000 in clean-up costs.[17]

In 2014, Trago Mills was featured on BBC's Fake Britain, after local Trading Standards discovered fake top-brand shampoo on sale in store. Trago management said that the product had been purchased from a reliable source and they had worked closely with local trading standards to ensure that the product was taken off sale once it had been identified as a fake.

In June 2018, following the opening of the company's store in Merthyr Tydfil, some locals threatened to boycott the shop after Robertson criticised bilingual education and described bilingual English and Welsh signage as "visual clutter".[18]

He is having a rally nearby tomorrow evening at Trago Mills (ghastly retail complex that sells virtually everything under the sun)

not sure if there’s a milkshake vendor on site
Just to follow up on this it seems reform are polling in the region of 15-20% here :(

He is having a rally nearby tomorrow evening at Trago Mills (ghastly retail complex that sells virtually everything under the sun)

not sure if there’s a milkshake vendor on site

Owner was/is a prize twat - I did see it is one of the few retail complexes with it's own Wiki "Controversies" section

Yeah despite living a 5-min drive away, I won't touch Trago fucking Mills with a bargepole, it's obvious the whole thing is a massive tax and regulation dodge for local gangster types. The place gives me serious ick.

Not surprising there's a far-right rally happening there, its always had that vibe.

Yeah despite living a 5-min drive away, I won't touch Trago fucking Mills with a bargepole, it's obvious the whole thing is a massive tax and regulation dodge for local gangster types. The place gives me serious ick.

Good old Mike Robertson's firm:

Robertson placed advertisements in the 1980s and 1990s calling for the castration of gay men. The United Kingdom Advertising Standards Authority ruled against Trago Mills and demanded the withdrawal of all advertisements in 1998.[9][10] Trago still occasionally runs inflammatory copy within their ads, one entitled "For any cash strapped Moslems reading this…" appeared in the Falmouth Packet in 2009 to promote a book by senior UKIP official David Challice.[11]

:D

Reform candidate Leslie Lilley said he would ‘slaughter migrants’ - Times

A Reform candidate said he would “slaughter” migrants arriving on small boats and “have their family taken out”. Leslie Lilley, who is set to win almost 20 per cent of the vote in the Labour battleground seat of Southend East & Rochford, made the threats on the official Facebook account he uses to run his local campaign.
In a post in June 2020, Lilley reacted to the news of a small boat arriving in Dover saying: “I hope I’m near one of these scumbags one day I won’t run away I’ll slaughter them then have their family taken out.” The same month, Lilley, now 70, railed against “more scum entering the UK”, adding “I hope your family get Robbed, Beaten or attacked”. He also suggested Border Force vessels should have razor wire to tear small boats carrying migrants across the Channel, and commented “gas” along with several laughing emojis under a video of Muslims praying. Lilley, who has also argued that the pandemic was a plan to “depopulate the world” and was “mass murder by government”, is one of the 41 Reform UK candidates who are “friends” on Facebook with Gary Raikes, the fascist leader.

The issue, as I see it now, is that Fuhrage has a (successful) template for getting at least to a more powerful position in the UK. Ironically the European politicians Meloni, Le Pen ,Urban et Al have given it to him in thee tactics that they have employed over the medium to long term.

He's seen their success and will aim to replicate it here, with a dollop of Trump lite added in. This is concerning I think, as the state of the country lends itself to right wing scapegoating to garner votes.

Back
Top Bottom