Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Massive worldwide IT outage, hitting banks, airlines, supermarkets, broadcasters, etc. [19th July 2024]

What a silly thread. It's plain to see that there is not "absolute chaos across the world". I guess it's exciting for the kind of people that watch Sky news though.

More serious problems.

UK Pharmacy services disrupted

A spokesperson for the UK's National Pharmacy Association says: "We're aware that due to global IT outages that services in community pharmacies, including the accessing of prescriptions from GPs and medicine deliveries, are disrupted today.

"We urge patients to be patient whilst visiting their pharmacy."

Well I don't know if they own them but the buck surely stops with them. They shouldn't have been allowed to roll out this update without MS's engineers thoroughly testing it and approving it.
No. That’s not how it works. It’s down to the vendor making the anti virus software to test the patch against standard configurations of operating system before release.
Not all Microsoft customers are affected. Just the ones using Crowdstrike.

Although the fix mentioned in The Register article is pretty simple; removing the CrowdStrike agent file, for most corporate Windows machines which are locked down tightly with Bitlocker etc, this is pretty much impossible to implement - users can't do it as they can't boot to safe mode, they can't boot from another device, and the update can't be pushed out from the central service because the machines won't boot.

No. That’s not how it works. It’s down to the vendor making the anti virus software to test the patch against standard configurations of operating system before release.
Not all Microsoft customers are affected. Just the ones using Crowdstrike.

Well that's a terrible model then. HSBC or whoever have been affected sign their contract with Microsoft, not Crowdstrike. Lawyers will be rubbing their hands I would think.

What a silly thread. It's plain to see that there is not "absolute chaos across the world". I guess it's exciting for the kind of people that watch Sky news though.

Hospitals cancelling operations, GPs and pharmacies unable to access their systems, airlines grounding planes, bank payment systems going down, etc., etc.

Yeah, nothing to see here, move along.

Well the BBC's tech correspondent would beg to differ

Good for him, this is my day job.

You buy your OS from MS and you are reliant on buying the software for antivirus from whatever vendor supplies it. MS has no obligation to test the software for you, that’s the vendors role.

CS does not appear to be bundled with windows defender and is just one of many security products like Fortinet that can be plugged into the windows and 365 landscape

My org is currently fine btw.

Is that happening?

Certainly hospitals in Germany are reported to be cancelling non-urgent operations.

The way this story is breaking, something like that happens in one country, then reports start coming in from other countries having the same problem.

It is the biggest and most widespread IT outage ever seen across the world.

But, according to teuchter everything in his world is fine, so that's OK then. :D

If peoples computers are getting bricked this isn't going to get sorted until everyone buys new computers....
For some institutions that's... Months...years..... To get working again
Right?
Bricked doesn't mean dead, it just means it's not responsive right now. They all just need to be restarted and a fix applied. It could take a long time for some orgs though, manually fixing tens of thousands of PCs is not a quick job.

Back
Top Bottom