Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Massive worldwide IT outage, hitting banks, airlines, supermarkets, broadcasters, etc. [19th July 2024]

All the recent AI stuff, then this. Coincidence? I think not.

(I've seen the first three Terminator films and this is just the start, mark my words.)

I happen to be reading a series for teens called The Rule of Three, where all the computers fail worldwide. I found it interesting that author includes survival tips in a chapter in the back of each book. It's almost like he's training kids to survive when the world economy crashes after global warming gets a good foothold. It gives instructions on how to purify water, raising food, personal security, community building, etc.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing it the press don't seem to be reporting millions of bricked boxes. Maybe it's not that bad?

Unless I'm missing it the press don't seem to be reporting millions of bricked boxes. Maybe it's not that bad?
As i understand it the anti virus product involved is used by large corporations so home users will not have "bricked" devices. My works computers were fine. The only app i have personally seen not working today is the nhs app. That said the nhs and airports are having problems.

As i understand it the anti virus product involved is used by large corporations so home users will not have "bricked" devices. The only app i have personally seen not working today is the nhs app. That said the nhs and airports are having problems.
Aye but earlier in the day there were reports of servers and workstations being taken out en mass. Maybe exaggeration. Then again a big business won't want news to spread all its pcs are bruk.

Aye but earlier in the day there were reports of servers and workstations being taken out en mass. Maybe exaggeration. Then again a big business won't want news to spread all its pcs are bruk.
Yeah managers can annoying in these situations. Had that problem with broken factory equipment at work. If an orders obviously going to be late better to be honest with the customers not pretend everythings fine which only makes it worse later.

Like I said earlier, my stepson is at the top, the actual top of IT for one of the 'big 4' energy companies. His initial response was 'bloody nightmare'. Tonight he told me this.

"We fixed all production services before lunch, then spent the day fixing the rest. A lot of manual work and prioritisation. Something like 1500 servers and god knows how many laptops etc. Fucking exhausted."

But done.

One of the intresting outcomes of this will be highlighting people who moved a long way from where their company thought they lived during the pandemic. This could mean anything between a long drive on their own money or being sacked for working outside the country.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, my stepson is at the top, the actual top of IT for one of the 'big 4' energy companies. His initial response was 'bloody nightmare'. Tonight he told me this.

"We fixed all production services before lunch, then spent the day fixing the rest. A lot of manual work and prioritisation. Something like 1500 servers and god knows how many laptops etc. Fucking exhausted."

But done.
To be honest, this sounds relatively minor. Kept worse out of the news.

This news story has occurred in the middle of the summer months. The Danes have a specific phrase for this. “Agurker tid” Cucumber Time. Parliaments out. Kids are out of school. Everyone’s on holiday. Bullshit news comes out.

One of the intresting outcomes of this will be highlighting people who moved a long way from where their company thought they loved during tur pandemic. This could mean anything between a long drive on their own money or being sacked for working outside the country.
Interesting to other people who really don’t know what why they did that actually.

To be honest, this sounds relatively minor. Kept worse out of the news.

This news story has occurred in the middle of the summer months. The Danes have a specific phrase for this. “Agurker tid” Cucumber Time. Parliaments out. Kids are out of school. Everyone’s on holiday. Bullshit news comes out.

I think we call it 'silly season' or somesuch. News in August usually that wouldn't even feature on "You won't believe what happened next!" stories at any other time of the year.

It depends if the people who gave you your laptop use crowd strike. There are many vendors. And crowdstrike are at the top of the range, because they can do wiz bang clicky clicky hackzorz and super cyber maps and all that visual shit that makes executives cream their pants.
And it costs a lot of money. And if any company has it running. Their IT department definitely begged for it. 😂

The move to working from home probably makes this harder to recover from. Before it was common a "floor walker" could walk their way down an office fixing everyone's machine. Now everyone has to be back at an office that has a physical IT presence to get things fixed
Ah yes, someone like this

IMG_1895.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom