Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Local Newspaper Headlines!

What I don't get, is that space was part of the council house development, which the borough council transferred into their housing association.

How the fuck did they, Worthing Homes, off load the maintenance to the county council? 🤷‍♂️

FFS, I posted that as a piss-take of the classic local rag photo genre, not for a bloody discussion about grass cutting. :facepalm: :D

It's not a bloody verge, it's a small patch of grass, which used to be maintained, surrounded by houses on 3-sides, where young kids used to play, which is important in an urban borough that happens to have less green public space per head of population than anywhere else in the UK.

There's plenty of fucking space for wildlife, just over a mile north from there, called the South Downs National Park. :D
FREE THE WORTHING GRASSES :mad: :mad:

looks like someone tried to make the headline family friendly but failed

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 12.50.34.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 12.50.34.png
    122 KB · Views: 23
nothing funny about this, it's just ... i have issues with a certain strain of xianity, based on experience.

The woman told police that she intentionally drove at that high rate of speed and through the red light to "test her faith with God," according to the report.

She told police she's been going through some "trials and tribulations" and was recently fired from her job[…]

She told police she believed she did the right thing, the police report states.

whatever happened to her daughter in the car with her at the time, was no doubt part of god's will.
sorry, as i say i have issues.

nothing funny about this, it's just ... i have issues with a certain strain of xianity, based on experience.

The woman told police that she intentionally drove at that high rate of speed and through the red light to "test her faith with God," according to the report.

She told police she's been going through some "trials and tribulations" and was recently fired from her job[…]

She told police she believed she did the right thing, the police report states.

whatever happened to her daughter in the car with her at the time, was no doubt part of god's will.
sorry, as i say i have issues.
There seems to be a certain section of people claiming to be Christian who are really in desperate need of mental health care.

There seems to be a certain section of people claiming to be Christian who are really in desperate need of mental health care.
Yes, I think there can be quite a strong correlation between religion and mental illness: to the extent that, with some particularly vulnerable clients, religion can become something of a problem, in two ways.

First of all, it's not unusual to get very religious people coming on counselling courses, and it can be a battle to train them not to put Jesus in front of everything else - often, they want to become counsellors in order to be able to spread the word of God, rather than to use their new skills for counselling, pure and simple. It's probably rather judgemental of me, but my blood runs cold when I hear people describing themselves as "Christian counsellors".

Secondly, for people who are struggling in life, faith can sometimes look like a far less challenging option than, say, doing hard and painful work around (say) earlier life experiences - it can be tempting to just put yourself in the hands of some deity (very much as that driver did) than to take responsibility for making the changes ourselves.

I've encountered, both sides of the professional divide, quite vulnerable people who have been, usually very benignly, drawn into the protective circle of religion. For many of them, it becomes a safe place where they can remain vulnerable, but feel safer and more supported. For some of them, though, all of the energy and thought that went into whatever their psychopathology is gets transferred onto their faith, and I suspect that it is this kind of person that ends up making dangerous choices, from a false sense of security that their beliefs have given them.

Yes, I think there can be quite a strong correlation between religion and mental illness: to the extent that, with some particularly vulnerable clients, religion can become something of a problem, in two ways.

First of all, it's not unusual to get very religious people coming on counselling courses, and it can be a battle to train them not to put Jesus in front of everything else - often, they want to become counsellors in order to be able to spread the word of God, rather than to use their new skills for counselling, pure and simple. It's probably rather judgemental of me, but my blood runs cold when I hear people describing themselves as "Christian counsellors".

Secondly, for people who are struggling in life, faith can sometimes look like a far less challenging option than, say, doing hard and painful work around (say) earlier life experiences - it can be tempting to just put yourself in the hands of some deity (very much as that driver did) than to take responsibility for making the changes ourselves.

I've encountered, both sides of the professional divide, quite vulnerable people who have been, usually very benignly, drawn into the protective circle of religion. For many of them, it becomes a safe place where they can remain vulnerable, but feel safer and more supported. For some of them, though, all of the energy and thought that went into whatever their psychopathology is gets transferred onto their faith, and I suspect that it is this kind of person that ends up making dangerous choices, from a false sense of security that their beliefs have given them.
There's a big debate for another thread.

Back
Top Bottom