Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leytonstone tube station "terrorist incident"?

How would you start classifying which political beliefs make you insane? They used to say that about people in the soviet union. Its a very dangerous road to go down.
when you start swing knifes about,...if there is a line, thats on the wrong side of it

Have a feeling there's going to be more of this sort of thing than there is of the other (organised heirarchical ) sort.

I don't know how much of it there's going to be, but obviously it's much harder for Plod and Spook to prevent such attacks. I mean much harder than it is in cases where the attacks come from organised groups who can be spied on.

If this bloke was just a nutter who shouted Syria that doesn't mean you can explain the whole phenomenon of ISIS and co by saying 'they're all just mental', surely. I mean it would be easy to say that but kind of stupid too.

How would you start classifying which political beliefs make you insane? They used to say that about people in the soviet union. Its a very dangerous road to go down.

edited my original post refer there.... i'm off for a cuppa...

Have a feeling there's going to be more of this sort of thing than there is of the other (organised heirarchical ) sort.

now the terror floodgates have been opened, every adolescent misdeamnour and ill judged bad taste prank will be tested against the terror template.

Get caught jumping your fare on the train- " fuck off you inspector bastard" - £20 fine

Get caught jumping your fare on the train - " fuck you, allah akhbar" - orange jumpsuit and night flight to Gitmo

Yeah but some people here want an anarchist or communist society, they would favour the overthrow of the State under certain conditions. Are they all mad? Some of them may have mental health problems but its neither here nor there.
They don't tend to knife capitalists in the neck though.

Yeah but some people here want an anarchist or communist society, they would favour the overthrow of the State under certain conditions. Are they all mad? Some of them may have mental health problems but its neither here nor there.

They are just daft and funny.

Completely disagree. Any extreme form be it Nazism, radical Islamist, is nuts . It is called extreme obsession. You are losing all sense of proportion, you develop a personality disorder that is easy to influence. If you have been radicalised you are being brainwashed by others and your own stupidity. How else can you explain suicide bombers?

The gangsters that drive these obsessions are driven by money and power, they can do it under whatever guise they like but it always comes back to the same thing.

Will everyone stop giving these nuts such creedence?

Hitler was voted into power democratically, were all the people who voted for him mad? Its too simplistic explanation. There are some people who are severely unhinged and are attracted to this shit but its massively simplistic to say that its all down to people being mad. And the vast majority of people did not get locked up under the soviet union or attract the attention of authorities enough to get put in a mental institution, stuff like opposing their rules by protests and strikes would be viewed as extreme and unthinkable.

At what point do you start calling someone mad - is for example a ukip member sane and a bnp member mad or extremist?

If you just call jihadists and the extreme right mad how the fuck are you going to stop people supporting them or understand the conditions that are fuelling their growth or the people propogating such ideas?

Can you not see what is going on here? The minute we give in and start classifying, labelling and paradoxically legitimising these loons as 'terrorists' then the problem starts to compound, the hatred grows and these incidents increase. That is what is going to happen. If you go over to the comments sections of all the major newspapers and media outlets you will see how the media are cranking it all up to drive up readership and therefore advertising revenue. We get addicted to the allure of sensationalism .
Some people will be more susceptible to radicalisation than others but that does not mean that those who are radicalised are mentally ill. They are certainly outside the norm, because normal people don't do these things.

As to legitimising these loons, I don't see anyone here doing that.

Some people will be more susceptible to radicalisation than others but that does not mean that those who are radicalised are mentally ill. They are certainly outside the norm, because normal people don't do these things.

You ever met a "normal" person?

Yes they do.

What about a group like the red army faction in the 70s? Can they be explained by being mental or was it to do with the conditions of the time?
I
What about a group like the red army faction in the 70s? Can they be explained by being mental or was it to do with the conditions of the time?
I
I think u have to take each case as it comes tbh. Some crazy, some not. Depends howbu define crazy I suppose.

Have you forgotten the incompetents of 21/07/05? And those arses at Glasgow airport?

That film comedy, 4 Lions I think it was called, was quite funny. It was also quite close to the reality of some jihadis and wannabes.

Indeed.

I'll tell you what this all reminds me of.

Football hooliganism. I know that sounds daft. But for those that went to football matches back in the 70's they will understand how the violence and fighting and tribalism became endemic and almost fun for a section of people including the young and impressionable (Most Jihadis are young and impressionable people). It became for a number of people acceptable behaviour. Then the media started blasting it all over the front pages and on TV. So it became more fun and those at the top who were the head honchos lapped it up. Outside of this they were the gangsters running crime and drug dealing. The same is happening with the likes of the ISIS crew. The head honchos are milking the oil money into Swiss bank accounts.

Ok it's a way more serious problem, although people did get killed and stabbed at football matches, but there is definitely a similar mindset here.

The legitimising is a collective thing as opposed to specific here.
How do you define radicalised?

In Nazi Germany it was socially acceptable among many to hate Jews etc and people that didnt hate them were viewed as mad, extreme, a threat to society etc by the government. In ISIS controlled territory today they are trying to propogate the idea that people who dont have a problem with Shias etc are mad and dangerous.

You dont have to be mentally ill to be a scumbag ffs

Indeed.

I'll tell you what this all reminds me of.

Football hooliganism. I know that sounds daft. But for those that went to football matches back in the 70's they will understand how the violence and fighting and tribalism became endemic and almost fun for a section of people including the young and impressionable (Most Jihadis are young and impressionable people). It became for a number of people acceptable behaviour. Then the media started blasting it all over the front pages and on TV. So it became more fun and those at the top who were the head honchos lapped it up. Outside of this they were the gangsters running crime and drug dealing. The same is happening with the likes of the ISIS crew. The head honchos are milking the oil money into Swiss bank accounts.

Ok it's a way more serious problem, although people did get killed and stabbed at football matches, but there is definitely a similar mindset here.

Doesn't sound daft to me at all. Sticking with my idea that ISIS is (to some extent) a gang, the hardest most famous most glamorous & easy to join gang on TV.

A 17 year old boy got murdered here in my street this Summer, and the next day, after the police tape came down, a small group of kids his age came to celebrate - laughing shouting taking selfies etc. It was one of the most scary and horrific things I've ever seen. They were 'normal' kids, and they were doing something that, to me, was totally mad. Because I don't get the affiliations that could make his murder be something to celebrate.

Back
Top Bottom