Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Major Incident in Nottingham - 13th June 2023

Unique to U75 Update from Son Q,
Apparently he parked his car at Toton Lane tram stop this morning as usual and went to catch the 6am tram only to be told they weren't running.
Son Q: Why not?
Tram Driver: Dunno mate, just been told I have to stop here and tell people to catch the bus instead.
Clearly confusion is not just restricted to the media.

did you expect the police to just tell the tram driver what they thought had happened?

There's a decent round up here:

Developments in Nottingham are moving fast - and we are working double time to get you the full picture. Here's a rundown of what we know so far:

• A 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after three people died in Nottingham city centre early this morning
  • In a statement, the force said it was called to Ilkeston Road in the city at 04:00 BST where two people were found dead
  • Officers were called to a second incident on Milton Street, where a van had attempted to run over three people, who are being treated for their injuries
  • A man has also been found dead in Magdala Road
  • Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Home Secretary Suella Braverman say they are being kept updated about developments
  • Chief Constable Kate Meynell says the three "horrific and tragic" incidents are believed to be linked
  • Several roads are closed and public transport services have been suspended

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-nottinghamshire-65888114

They are firefighters in their ballistic protection. They can work in the 'warm zone' of a firearms job, which means somewhere there may be a person with a gun. So probably responding to an active shooter incident. (Active shooter doctrine is used for any ongoing threats to life issue, not necessarily one where the subject(s) has/have a gun, could be knives or cars etc. )
A little bit more on NILOS

Grim stuff. As usual though, BBC/Sky news just has non stop pictures of cordoned off streets showing absolutely nothing. GB news has an 'Exclusive' of what looks like some phone camera footage of someone being arrested but largely obscured by scaffolding on a 10 second endless loop. It's desperate.
Its pretty fucking irresponsible showing that footage too in the immediate start of an investigation after a major incident.

This is a fluid situation with multiple scenes already and as facts become known it may become necessary for additional sites to be investigated, such as the home or garage of the suspect. If it turns out there were accomplices then their residences may be searched/investigated too. Also any vehicles they may have used.

This is day 1 of a probably very complex multiple scene investigation. Who knows what will gave happened by this evening.

Its pretty fucking irresponsible showing that footage too in the immediate start of an investigation after a major incident.

I mean it really didn't show anything, which was my point. It was just some very bad angle of what looked like three police maybe huddled over someone, obscured by scaffold. And they just looped it, again and again and again, as a 'GB NEWS EXCLUSIVE' - it was ridiculous.

A little bit more on NILOS

Torygrapf wrong again. There are a few different things going on in that picture.

NIlO National Incident Liaison Officer is a skill set a middle manager in the fire service will have. Normally an area manager or above ( though there are some station managers). These women and men do three different things, they act as multi agency (JESIP) tactical advisors at big jobs, they are the fire service link to the CT network for planning and at live incidents, they often, but not always represent their service at Local Resilience Fora. At a live job you would probably have one NILO at scene and another ( if there is one available) at the joint silver -offen at the police control room. Fire are pretty flexible so you often get situations where someone who is NIlO trained might start as tactical commander, then if the job ramps up, hand that over to someone more senior and put on the NILO role.

The burgundy uniform is a crew in ballistic kit. This is the same spec as police firearms officers in terms of armour and helmets. Not every brigade has this capability, it’s normally matched to model response sites , but not always. Most brigades that do have it will train and equip all watches at one particular station for firearms warm zone work. Their primarily role is firefighting in the warm zone but they can also assist ambulance either by doing basic life support themselves or removing casualties from the warm zone so that they can be treated by ambulance staff who don’t have ballistic protection and training. ( Almost all ambulance HART team staff have this, it’s the same as fire’s but Green, and I think some trusts might still have a few non HART managers with it.)

Sad old world where firees and ambulance people need bullet proof vests and Kevlar helmets…

Last edited:
Was this your picture? It’s a good one and people don’t often get to see firees in this kit as they are normally inside a cordon. Thanks for posting.
Its similar kit that we have at work, ours is just green..... and I don't think we have boiler suits (or we didn't when we got trained in it).

edited my face out because I don't think post pics of me uniform on here is a thing I want to do

Attachments

• 1EC6644C-06D0-4159-8639-1478B729B3D8 2.jpg
    1EC6644C-06D0-4159-8639-1478B729B3D8 2.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 27
I mean it really didn't show anything, which was my point. It was just some very bad angle of what looked like three police maybe huddled over someone, obscured by scaffold. And they just looped it, again and again and again, as a 'GB NEWS EXCLUSIVE' - it was ridiculous.
But any recognition of clothing or whoever was being arrested could potentially alert associates, and at the time it would be unknown if this is terrorism based or not.

The BBC did the same thing after the Manchester event. Just a two second clip of people panicking on infinite repeat. Annoying and pathetic at the same time. Like lets stir up maximum fear. Twats :rolleyes:

The burgundy uniform is a crew in ballistic kit. This is the same spec as police firearms officers in terms of armour and helmets. Not every brigade has this capability, it’s normally matched to model response sites , but not always. Most brigades that do have it will train and equip all watches at one particular station for firearms warm zone work.

Its a new spec for ambulance services to have ballistics trained staff with a minimum staffing level on at all times now too, although ambulance services are struggling to recruit. I went for it as I'm really interested in the management of major incidents etc, but I'm far too old and fat for HART and I'm still training medically, so even if people argued I'm young enough for HART if I lost weight and got fit, I'd be too old and fat for it by the time I finished my training. I was also under the impression we got water rescue training, which in an ideal world I'd love to do as I'd love to be in the RLNI or some kind of marine SAR/Underwater rescue role...... but this is all stuff I should of get my act together to do 20 years ago instead of getting smashed every weekend.

The new ones are called SORT, trained to work in orange zones for HAZCHEM incidents in PRPS and orange zones for MTA in ballistics gear. Although, technically any ambulance staff can be committed to a red zone, trained or untrained, but I don't think that would ever happen unless in dire situations.

Torygrapf wrong again. There are a few different things going on in that picture.

NIlO National Incident Liaison Officer is a skill set a middle manager in the fire service will have. Normally an area manager or above ( though there are some station managers). These women and men do three different things, they act as multi agency (JESIP) tactical advisors at big jobs, they are the fire service link to the CT network for planning and at live incident, they often, but not always represent their service at Local Resilience Fora.

The burgundy uniform is a crew in ballistic kit. This is the same spec as police firearms officers in terms of armour and helmets. Not every brigade has this capability, it’s normally matched to model response sites , but not always. Most brigades that do have it will train and equip all watches at one particular station for firearms warm zone work.
It was the Fire Service in Manchester who had the NILO role but I wondered if the role had evolved and made agency neutral since I jacked work in .

If one of my daughters was in the vicinity I’d probably be sharing news of that with Urban. If we have family even tangentially involved with any incident it’s perfectly natural to have our antenna up. It’s what we do.
The office block where Son Q works is less than a mile from the scene of the first cordon, the second one is further out but still in the same general area. Despite being so close he has no more idea as to what is going on than I do.
His employer closed and locked the building front doors this morning and sent out warnings to all staff not to come in. Bit late in the case of Son Q and quite a few others who were already there. They have been told to stay indoors and not go outside and apparently the onsite coffee bar is doing a roaring trade (silver linings and all that).
The roof is normally the preserve of the nicotine junkies but he says it has been packed throughout the day as people have gone up trying to see what's happening (but apparently seen nought)
It is however approaching knocking off time so there is most likely going to be a showdown between management and staff before too long.
His car is also parked at Toton Lane which is the western terminus of the NET Green Line so he isn't sure how he is going to get back to it either since the trams are still down.

It was the Fire Service in Manchester who had the NILO role but I wondered if the role had evolved and made agency neutral since I jacked work in .
All fire services should have NILO trained managers. There was a plan for ambulance trusts to adopt it too, not sure what became of that as it’s a few years since I was in that world. The police don’t have them, but the role kind of started as the link to the CT network, certainly that’s where the funding initially came from, so that’s the argument as to why the old bill don’t do it. Trumpton NILOs aren’t just multi agency tac advisors , they do a lot more. There is deffo a case for old bill having JESIP tac advisors (Manchester Arena!) but,…

Last edited:
Its a new spec for ambulance services to have ballistics trained staff with a minimum staffing level on at all times now too, although ambulance services are struggling to recruit. I went for it as I'm really interested in the management of major incidents etc, but I'm far too old and fat for HART and I'm still training medically, so even if people argued I'm young enough for HART if I lost weight and got fit, I'd be too old and fat for it by the time I finished my training. I was also under the impression we got water rescue training, which in an ideal world I'd love to do as I'd love to be in the RLNI or some kind of marine SAR/Underwater rescue role...... but this is all stuff I should of get my act together to do 20 years ago instead of getting smashed every weekend.

The new ones are called SORT, trained to work in orange zones for HAZCHEM incidents in PRPS and orange zones for MTA in ballistics gear. Although, technically any ambulance staff can be committed to a red zone, trained or untrained, but I don't think that would ever happen unless in dire situations.

I wondered about SORT so do they have the ballistic and CBRNe kit all the time on the road, rather than playing pool like HART?

I wondered about SORT so do they have the ballistic and CBRNe kit all the time on the road, rather than playing pool like HART?
I think it depends on the trust, but most are using their SORT staff as normal road staff, and then if there's an incident trucks with the kit on will be deployed and the staff with the training will meet the kit at the incident. A lot of this has come about because of the investigation into the manchester arena bombing, hence the new spec. We also have NILO in ambo now too.

We've basically been trained in PRPS, MTA kit, been given an overview of incident management, triage and modified triage sieves, tactical movement and a few other bits and pieces.

Have Another Round of Tea ;)

Back
Top Bottom