Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have you had your booster jab (jag) ?

Have you ? Please change votes when you do ...

• Not yet

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • Yes - Pfizer

Votes: 169 59.7%
  • Yes - Moderna

Votes: 78 27.6%
  • Yes - Oxford / Astra Zenicac

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Yes - other vaccine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not having one

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • comedy option ...

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Probably a stupid question, but why is it called jag?
Listening to Nicola Sturgeon she says it, + the thread title has it (which I thought was a joke).

Spiky things (thistles, nettles, hedgehogs etc) are 'jaggy' in Scots. You jag yourself on a thistle rather than scratching yourself too. It's the usual word for injection in most of Scotland.

Stuff I've seen says booster generates a good immune response much quicker than the previous 2 doses, days rather than 2-3 weeks, but don't have the study to hand, think also 2hats posted something along those lines on here maybe?
Just to mention this negative case control study (UKHSA/NIHR (LSHTM/Imperial)) which sets out to establish the effectiveness of Pfizer as a third dose booster after either two standard doses of Pfizer or AstraZeneca. Almost 250,000 UK participants, all aged 50+ years. Note that the data were analysed before omicron arrived on the scene so the numbers indicate vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic infection with delta.

Of interest here are these plots where one can see that the booster effectiveness significantly ramps up during the second week after third dose (relative to any meaningful baseline).
Relative vaccine effectiveness estimates in time intervals post booster according to primary course. Baselines respectively: 140+ days post dose 2, 2-6 days post booster, unvaccinated.
Much younger, immunocompetent individuals might respond faster, but it would still be wise to allow two weeks.

Just to mention this negative case control study (UKHSA/NIHR (LSHTM/Imperial)) which sets out to establish the effectiveness of Pfizer as a third dose booster after either two standard doses of Pfizer or AstraZeneca. Almost 250,000 UK participants, all aged 50+ years. Note that the data were analysed before omicron arrived on the scene so the numbers indicate vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic infection with delta.

Of interest here are these plots where one can see that the booster effectiveness significantly ramps up during the second week after third dose (relative to any meaningful baseline).
View attachment 300857
Much younger, immunocompetent individuals might respond faster, but it would still be wise to allow two weeks.

What they’re showing here is time between booster and symptom onset, not the time between booster and becoming infected with the virus. As the question asked is when boosters establish protection from infection, and Delta’s incubation period is around 4 days, you need to subtract that from the onset dates.

Looking at Figure 1 we can see protection from symptoms is certainly achieved by 12 days post-booster, which means protection from infection is achieved from 8 days post-booster.

Two days on from mine and I've not had much of a reaction from my 3rd moderna. Slightly sore arm and felt a bit sleepy yesterday but that's it. Big difference to the first too which made me feel awful for days.

The boss has started to demand we all take tests once a week, the one where someone sticks a cotton bud up your nose and tries to poke your brains out with it. Apparently I don't have Covid so the vaccinations must be working.
This place is full of nutters who reckon they're being oppressed and keep arguing about it.

Two days on from mine and I've not had much of a reaction from my 3rd moderna. Slightly sore arm and felt a bit sleepy yesterday but that's it. Big difference to the first too which made me feel awful for days.
Yeh, I was hideously ill with my first AZ, so was shitting it a bit tbh, but yay!

The boss has started to demand we all take tests once a week, the one where someone sticks a cotton bud up your nose and tries to poke your brains out with it. Apparently I don't have Covid so the vaccinations must be working.
This place is full of nutters who reckon they're being oppressed and keep arguing about it.
The new LFTs are much more user-friendly than the old ones. No gagging, no eye watering, just 5 times round in each nostril, easy peasy.

From 10:00 today [15th Dec 2021]
The NHS booking site has been opened to all over 18s ...

[just hope their servers are up to the task plus enough physical vaccination sites ...]

The new LFTs are much more user-friendly than the old ones. No gagging, no eye watering, just 5 times round in each nostril, easy peasy.

Hope so ! I've managed to stay covid-free so far, although I've administered a test to OH before they went for an out-patient appointment [it was for Ear/Nose/Throat, so kind of made sense !]

What's annoying me, is that a company has to pay, yet individuals can get 'em free.

Hope so ! I've managed to stay covid-free so far, although I've administered a test to OH before they went for an out-patient appointment [it was for Ear/Nose/Throat, so kind of made sense !]

What's annoying me, is that a company has to pay, yet individuals can get 'em free.
Yeh, much nicer to use!

Oh, that's odd.

Youngest (29) just booked hers for this Saturday. She’d abandoned the queue at the first attempt because she thought 3000 ahead of her would take ages to shift, in fact the online queue moves at lightning speed. She had Pfizer for the first two. Eldest booked hers on Sunday but it’s on 23/12, she felt rough for a day or two after her first AZ but not the second. Think this venue is only doing Moderna boosters.

Had mine today (Pfizer -> Pfizer -> Moderna). Cos my first one was booked through my GP and the second two were at a walkin I still don't trust they've got my details right (the guy looked me up and asked if I was here for my second dose), but I guess at least now they've got it on record that I've had my second dose? Did have one car wanker drive past the queue and shout "stop conforming! stop conforming" at us but they were gone before I could think of a snappy comeback.

Does anyone know what's going on with teenagers who've only had one jab so far (at school)? We had a letter from school implying that boosters could be booked now but when I finally finished the virtual queue on the NHS website it said she was ineligible. The Daily Fail said that bookings are open from Monday but not sure I trust that source.

Has anyone who has received three doses of Pfizer had a worse reaction to the booster than to the two primary doses? I’ve had 2 x Pfizers in the summer without any great reaction apart from slightly sore arm, and soon hopefully can get the booster dose and just wondering what the chances are of having anything worse from the booster?
I did, but had no reaction at all really. Not even a sore arm. Felt a bit tired after the first and quite tired after the second, with a sore arm that hurt when I rolled over in bed, but that’s all standard injection business.

Maybe this is a question for another thread, but why are people’s reactions to jabs so diverse? Some people are laid low for a few days and some not affected at all. Is it just a general thing ie some people are more sensitive to any injections, not just these particular vaccines, or is it just the vaccines that have had bad side effects for some?
Is it just a physiological thing in the same way that some people are more allergic/sensitive to things than others?

Just explaining to an indian colleague how he can get a free booster from nhs website.

He is very happy as he paid £100 each for his two AZ vaccines in India before he moved here.
That’s very weird. He got massively ripped off by a private hospital. Buying them privately is an option there though not what most people do, but even so prices are supposed to be fixed, at around ten times less than that.

Its not unknown for someone to pretend they both have and spend more money than they actually do, especially in cultures with heavy class systems

Back
Top Bottom