Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have you had your booster jab (jag) ?

Have you ? Please change votes when you do ...

• Not yet

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • Yes - Pfizer

Votes: 169 59.7%
  • Yes - Moderna

Votes: 78 27.6%
  • Yes - Oxford / Astra Zenicac

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Yes - other vaccine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not having one

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • comedy option ...

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stuff I've seen says booster generates a good immune response much quicker than the previous 2 doses, days rather than 2-3 weeks, but don't have the study to hand, think also 2hats posted something along those lines on here maybe?
There are as many different immune response profiles as there are humans on the planet...

Expect up to at least 2 weeks for circulating antibodies to really ramp up (ISTR it takes around 3-4 days in the healthy for B cells to fire up) and then up to 6 months to really benefit from the somatic hypermutation that is broadening your cellular response to variants both current and future as yet unseen); though there is evidence that that continues for up to 12 months. Assuming you are immunocompetent, of course.

Is there anyway to complain about a walk in centre. My wife saw two old ones turned away today from the same place I saw someone turned away from on Saturday.

What do you mean 'old ones'? I think unless you know why they were turned away not sure there's much point or justification for complaining is there? Did you ask at the time what was going on?

There are as many different immune response profiles as there are humans on the planet...

Expect up to at least 2 weeks for circulating antibodies to really ramp up (ISTR it takes around 3-4 days in the healthy for B cells to fire up) and then up to 6 months to really benefit from the somatic hypermutation that is broadening your cellular response to variants both current and future as yet unseen); though there is evidence that that continues for up to 12 months. Assuming you are immunocompetent, of course.

My somatic hypermutation is always slow off the mark nowadays.

I witnessed a women in her 60s turned away on Saturday because she couldn’t remember her NHS number. My wife says she saw the same today. I think it’s worthy of a complaint.

I witnessed a women in her 60s turned away on Saturday because she couldn’t remember her NHS number. My wife says she saw the same today. I think it’s worthy of a complaint.

Didn't have I assume rather than couldn't remember! It might be she didn't have any ID to prove who she was though as well. Where I worked you didn't have to prove your NHS number, but if you didn't have it you did have to show some ID to prove who you were so they could then find it. If you had no ID or NHS number they couldn't give the jab as couldn't record who it was going to or check medical issues etc.

Didn't have I assume rather than couldn't remember! It might be she didn't have any ID to prove who she was though as well. Where I worked you didn't have to prove your NHS number, but if you didn't have it you did have to show some ID to prove who you were so they could then find it. If you had no ID or NHS number they couldn't give the jab as couldn't record who it was going to or check medical issues etc.
No, definitely couldn’t remember. She bought some ID with her. I was sat five feet away from the exchange and asked the guy to let her in as did the people behind her in the queue. It was a flat no, from the guy. Whether he is following protocol strictly or whether he’s making it up as he goes along, people attending the walk in at Queen’s Pharamcy Rosendale Road West Dulwich are not getting jabbed. For that I think it should be raised.

Reactions: LDC
When I was in the 15 minute waiting area after my booster yesterday, one lady suddenly went white as a sheet, then passed out and fell off her chair.

Her fella told the attending nurse “oh yeah, she did this after the last one as well” :eek: :facepalm:
That's what I'm like, mind you 4 jabs this year (3x COViD and 1 Flu) and I haven't keeled over, which I consider a win. Panic attacks beforehand aplenty though :(

No, definitely couldn’t remember. She bought some ID with her. I was sat five feet away from the exchange and asked the guy to let her in as did the people behind her in the queue. It was a flat no, from the guy. Whether he is following protocol strictly or whether he’s making it up as he goes along, people attending the walk in at Queen’s Pharamcy Rosendale Road West Dulwich are not getting jabbed. For that I think it should be raised.

You definitely don't need an NHS number:

Just been modernated at a big vaccination centre. Very well organised, the queue to await vaccination was indoors on numbered seats next to a row of open windows. The post-vax 15 min waiting area was administered by a volunteer with a clipboard who noted everyone’s name and came back and told them exactly when they could leave.

The outdoor separate walk-in queue was massive though, thankful I managed to book an appointment.

I got a leaflet and a stamped card but no sticker.
I didn't get a sticker either , I've never been given a sticker. I wasn't asked to wait 15 minutes either , so I went straight home.

I had my booking reference but they didn't ask to see it, just asked my name and time and found me on the list. There was a guy came in after me and asked the guy guarding the door if he could just walk in for a jab. The guard asked the booking in lady who agreed that day was a walk in day and started processing him. I was too far away by then to hear if she asked for any ID. He was young 30's maybe so possibly looking for his first jab.
The booking in lady also asked how I got there and when I told her my daughter had brought me asked how old she was, she muttered something about not yet when I told her Eldest was 33, I reckon if I had said 43 I would have been asked to invite her in.
The guy must have got his jab because he came and sat down in the 15 min wait area just as I was putting my coat on to leave.

I really wanted to leave a gap of at least 6 months between 2nd dose of pfizer and my booster, but that would have been early Feb 2022 which I considered to be incompatible with the timing of this Omicron wave, so I got my booster today. So my dosing schedule gaps so far have ended up at 11 weeks and then 18 weeks and 3 days (and naive as far as I know, no known covid infection). And it was Moderna (Spikevax) on todays menu. I will file a yellow card report if I end up walking backwards for Christmas. I have added myself to this threads poll.

If there is no banging techno album called somatic hypermutation then there should be.

Last edited:
This NEJM study indicates degrees of growing neutralisation up to at least a month after third dose booster (here a homologous Pfizer regimen), particularly in older persons. Unfortunately few published studies provide sufficiently high enough time resolution trajectories for various immunogenic markers. Also, bear in mind that (for example) IgG evolution doesn't necessarily shed great light on mucosal IgA kinematics (which likely has a much greater bearing on efficacy to infection, and thus transmission implications); IgA has rarely been measured (outside of animal models and intranasal/oral vaccine candidate studies).

This NEJM study indicates degrees of growing neutralisation up to at least a month after third dose booster (here a homologous Pfizer regimen), particularly in older persons. Unfortunately few published studies provide sufficiently high enough time resolution trajectories for various immunogenic markers. Also, bear in mind that (for example) IgG evolution doesn't necessarily shed great light on mucosal IgA kinematics (which likely has a much greater bearing on efficacy to infection, and thus transmission implications); IgA has rarely been measured (outside of animal models and intranasal/oral vaccine candidate studies).
Yeah, I was impressed with the one you pointed out recently that did look at more markers, although the 16 week interval between 1st and 2nd dose used is obviously not a perfect match for UK timing. Plus the other unknowns due to the amount of AZ vaccine used early on here compared to where the main thrust of many of the studies tends to be.

Is there anyway to complain about a walk in centre. My wife saw two old ones turned away today from the same place I saw someone turned away from on Saturday.
To be honest there is not the staff capacity or the vaccine stock to cope. The government once again have promised what can't be delivered.

People are not 'turned away' from centres. Simply we can't cope at the moment. A lot of those staff are volunteer's and helping out overworked NHS staff so complaining will do little aside from lowering an already low morale.

There are no LFT kits available online. All the pharmacies here are out of stock too. I am almost out so limiting what people can take.

I've just had an email from the PCN I volunteered for giving vaccines earlier this year asking for all volunteers to come back the next few weeks. Vaccine clinics every day.

Finally have been able to get my Pfizer booster booked for next Monday. They just changed the rules where I am so anyone 18-65 years can get dose 3 as long as six months have passed since dose 2.

Hopefully any sore arm will be gone before Christmas but feels much better getting a top up in protection now that omicron is taking off. Feeling much calmer now!

The NHS Website isn't working, I'm lucky I have a jab booked for 1st week of Jan. But want to move it sooner. I have to have Xmas dinner with the in-laws and Mrs Fox's SIL and boyfriend are unvaxxed (Because they don't have time to feel rubbish after the jab. appentrently) So I really don't want to go. But Mrs Fox doesn't have a great relationship with her family so I don't won't make it any worse.
So I'm getting quite stressed, plus I haven't been sleeping well because of worrying, which doesn't help rational thought.

The NHS Website isn't working, I'm lucky I have a jab booked for 1st week of Jan. But want to move it sooner. I have to have Xmas dinner with the in-laws and Mrs Fox's SIL and boyfriend are unvaxxed (Because they don't have time to feel rubbish after the jab. appentrently) So I really don't want to go. But Mrs Fox doesn't have a great relationship with her family so I don't won't make it any worse.
So I'm getting quite stressed, plus I have been sleeping well because of worrying, which doesn't help rational thought.

Can you get to a walk-in? They should be being ramped-up over the next week, so keep checking for available walk-in places within traveling distance.

There are no LFT kits available online. All the pharmacies here are out of stock too. I am almost out so limiting what people can take.

There are plenty of LFT kits in the country, it's the supply chain that is the problem i.e. getting them physically dispatched, but should be sorted soon.

So I'm getting quite stressed, plus I haven't been sleeping well because of worrying, which doesn't help rational thought.
there are of course two schools of thought on feeling shit after the injection. the first is, as your in-laws feel, that it's too much time, the second is that avoiding having the virus with the chance of increased severity makes the possibility of feeling shit after worth it

I've just had an email from the PCN I volunteered for giving vaccines earlier this year asking for all volunteers to come back the next few weeks. Vaccine clinics every day.
I've also had a message saying they are extending the hours to 8am-8pm so there will be 3 volunteer shifts, not 2. I'm thinking of signing up for the last shift on Christmas Eve as I doubt many will want to do it!

Back
Top Bottom