Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

i was just about to post from reading posts on last page if a peace deal means Israel leaving Gaza then of course thats not going to happen - they want to occupy the land and would never agree to leave it, though I guess they could always agree and then break their promise, theyve broken every other deal so why not another

Met a friend of mine had not seen for a long time. Among other things Gaza came up. As friend is anti Corbyn Labour party supporter I threaded gingerly on the topic. Friend was most supportive of Palestinians and not at all happy with Netanyahu. To my surprise. Went on about some of the history I've been reading.

Anyway in the coffee bar saw this guy looking over and then he interrupted. I've no problem. Said he had just come back from Israel. Then went on about end of times stuff and how Hamas and Muslims were like anti christ or something.

Quite friendly. Most upset when I said I was atheist as he was concerned I would go to hell.

Realised I had just bumped into one of those end of times Christians who support Israel as part of this end of times stuff.

That they do not see themselves as Islamophobic. But that Islam is somehow linked to anti christ or something. He did go on and I could not follow all of it.

We made our excuses and left. Or rather my friend did. I'm quite happy chatting to people like this. As long as they aren't aggressive. Curious what they go on about. As someone I know in PSC said the cold war is over. Its not about Imperialism. That in US these end of times Christians have a lot of clout politically. Its more about a certain type of Christianity and Islamophobia

Thought Id met one of those Christians types who in US have more influence than here.

He was perfectly polite. And most concerned Id would go to hell. And Didn't I realise God loves all sinners.

Kind of interesting ( one way ) conversation. There is nothing one can do with these Israel supporters. Its not rational its a belief.

Last edited:
Met a friend of mine had not seen for a long time. Among other things Gaza came up. As friend is anti Corbyn Labour party supporter I threaded gingerly on the topic. Friend was most supportive of Palestinians and not at all happy with Netanyahu. To my surprise. Went on about some of the history I've been reading.

Anyway in the coffee bar saw this guy looking over and then he interrupted. I've no problem. Said he had just come back from Israel. Then went on about end of times stuff and how Hamas and Muslims were like anti christ or something.

Quite friendly. Most upset when I said I was atheist as he was concerned I would go to hell.

Realised I had just bumped into one of those end of times Christians who support Israel as part of this end of times stuff.

That they do not see themselves as Islamophobic. But that Islam is somehow linked to anti christ or something. He did go on and I could not follow all of it.

We made our excuses and left.

Thought Id met one of those Christians types who in US have more influence than here.

He was perfectly polite. And most concerned Id would go to hell. And Didn't I realise God loves all sinners.

Kind of interesting ( one way ) conversation. There is nothing one can do with these Israel supporters. Its not rational its a belief.
Beliefs can be quite rational.

This is interesting if true

The Biden administration last week put a hold on a shipment of U.S.-made ammunition to Israel, two Israeli officials told Axios.

Why it matters: It is the first time since the Oct. 7 attack that the U.S. has stopped a weapons shipment intended for the Israeli military.
  • The incident raised serious concerns inside the Israeli government and sent officials scrambling to understand why the shipment was held, Israeli officials said.
  • President Biden is facing sharp criticism among Americans who oppose his support of Israel. The administration in February asked Israel to provide assurances that U.S.-made weapons were being used by Israel Defense Forces in Gaza in accordance with international law. Israel provided a signed letter of assurances in March.
State of play: The Israeli officials said the ammunition shipment to Israel was stopped last week.

The conflict causes divisions here in UK.

Recent elections.

Whilst Starmer stance does not mean he will lose election its now concerning to leadership that they have alienated one of the core vote. British working class of descent from countries that have Muslim/ middle east background.

BTW that does not mean practising. In London I've worked with/met people from across middle east. Secular but when it comes to Palestine view is that Zionists stole the land from their "brothers" in that part of middle east.

This from Guardian article is laughable:

Labour MP Ellie Reeves on local election results
Asked if Labour regretted its earlier stance on the conflict, she said: “Keir Starmer has always been clear that our position would always respond to what is happening there.”

Um no.

Back then he said:

I said it loud and clear — and meant it — that I support Zionism without qualification.”

When Starmer came to leadership he put Labour back to its old position historically of supporting Zionism. Which to be fair was Labour party position from its early days and under Harold Wilson

That is Labour Zionism to be precise.

Now with the loss of votes in certain areas of country his leadership are backtracking and trying to say they supported Palestinians all along.

It comes across as bit all over the place.

Lesson is if you kick off enough they will listen.

I almost feel sorry for him. He is pushed from pillar to post depending on what seems best at the time.

Last edited:
The conflict causes divisions here in UK.

Recent elections.

Whilst Starmer stance does not mean he will lose election its now concerning to leadership that they have alienated one of the core vote. British working class of descent from countries that have Muslim/ middle east background.

BTW that does not mean practising. In London I've worked with/met people from across middle east. Secular but when it comes to Palestine view is that Zionists stole the land from their "brothers" in that part of middle east.

This from Guardian article is laughable:

Labour MP Ellie Reeves on local election results

Um no.

Back then he said:

When Starmer came to leadership he put Labour back to its old position historically of supporting Zionism. Which to be fair was Labour party position from its early days and under Harold Wilson

That is Labour Zionism to be precise.

Now with the loss of votes in certain areas of country his leadership are backtracking and trying to say they supported Palestinians all along.

It comes across as bit all over the place.

Lesson is if you kick off enough they will listen.

I almost feel sorry for him. He is pushed from pillar to post depending on what seems best at the time.
Starmer deserves no pity, only to be trod into the mud like the worm he is (apologies to any worms reading)

Widespread reports on Twitter that the IDF Rafah operation is shortly to begin in earnest. I say 'in earnest' because in reality they've been bombing Rafah for quite some time anyway. Making a great deal more sense as to why they've shut Al-Jazeeera down now:

Just awful that a few hours ago, we were seeing clips of hopeful Palestinians celebrating a possible ceasefire. And now we're seeing the now familiar pictures of Palestinians queueing to leave Rafah, where the assault has already begun.

:(:(:(
:mad::mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom